Laggy menu response Xbox 360 extender

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
soapdishbandit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Laggy menu response Xbox 360 extender

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Wasn't sure if this belonged in Win 10 or extender section because I am not sure which is the culprit (Win 10 or Xbox 360).

Been using Win 10 WMC since late June...working great, as well as my extenders. I did recently add some music folders in to my library (20,000+ mp3 files). My main extender to living room is still speedy and snappy, but my basement has almost a 5-10 second lag, even when usimg a 360 controller. The video is snappy and even when I run the optimizer it has full bars. It is connected via ethernet to wireless n gaming adapter (5Ghz frequency)...when I connect it to my laptop I get 110Mb/s on speedtest.net. Any thoughts?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Are you saying that your "main extender to living room" is completely hardwired into the network, while your problem extender ultimately is using wireless?

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:23 pm

adam1991 wrote:Are you saying that your "main extender to living room" is completely hardwired into the network, while your problem extender ultimately is using wireless?
Yes. Main extender is hard wired to router. I have another 360 extender upstairs in guest bedroom, it is run on a AV 500 powerline adapter and works very well. Just wondering if there are any tips/tricks to get my basement extender working better? It WAS working fine but hadn't used it in a while. Thinking that my adding music library messed it up (the only thing I can think that has changed)

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:26 pm

soapdishbandit wrote:
adam1991 wrote:Are you saying that your "main extender to living room" is completely hardwired into the network, while your problem extender ultimately is using wireless?
Yes. Main extender is hard wired to router. I have another 360 extender upstairs in guest bedroom, it is run on a AV 500 powerline adapter and works very well. Just wondering if there are any tips/tricks to get my basement extender working better? It WAS working fine but hadn't used it in a while. Thinking that my adding music library messed it up (the only thing I can think that has changed)
Also more clarification. I am not using built-in 360 wireless as I know it isn't very good. I use the ethernet to a Linksys WGA 600n dual-band wireless n adapter, so it can connect to my 5Ghz band.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:37 pm

my point is, wireless is wireless. Wired is better, always. I would argue that your powerline adapter, while not as good as straight ethernet cabling, is better than wireless.

Before you go jumping around, see if wiring your problem extender directly changes anything. Just go get a very long cable and run it for testing purposes. Either that, or maybe bring your powerline adapter into the basement for testing. Or simply bring your basement extender up to the living room. Shoot, for that matter switch the LR and basement extenders and see what happens.

I'm just trying to half split the problem to find out the real offender. Does the problem stay with your extender hardware, or does the problem follow the type of networking you've chosen?

My guess is the networking you've chosen. You made a very good point here: "it was working fine until I added my music library". It's not necessarily the music library in and of itself; it could easily be that your wireless networking was fine without the music library, but something happened to that wireless networking once you added in the music library.

Or, like you say, you haven't used the basement extender in awhlie; maybe its hardware is starting to crap out.

Shoot, you could even try using the XBox internal wireless connection as well, to see if that makes any difference at all (good or bad).

Isolate the source of the problem first.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:51 am

adam1991 wrote:my point is, wireless is wireless. Wired is better, always. I would argue that your powerline adapter, while not as good as straight ethernet cabling, is better than wireless.

Before you go jumping around, see if wiring your problem extender directly changes anything. Just go get a very long cable and run it for testing purposes. Either that, or maybe bring your powerline adapter into the basement for testing. Or simply bring your basement extender up to the living room. Shoot, for that matter switch the LR and basement extenders and see what happens.

I'm just trying to half split the problem to find out the real offender. Does the problem stay with your extender hardware, or does the problem follow the type of networking you've chosen?

My guess is the networking you've chosen. You made a very good point here: "it was working fine until I added my music library". It's not necessarily the music library in and of itself; it could easily be that your wireless networking was fine without the music library, but something happened to that wireless networking once you added in the music library.

Or, like you say, you haven't used the basement extender in awhlie; maybe its hardware is starting to crap out.

Shoot, you could even try using the XBox internal wireless connection as well, to see if that makes any difference at all (good or bad).

Isolate the source of the problem first.
So I started with what was easiest and it seems fixed...I just re-added the Xbox 360 and now it is super snappy. Weird huh? Perhaps some files got moved around?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:24 am

Yeah, the user account could have gotten messed up somehow.