"Videos" and Removable Drives

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Videos" and Removable Drives

Post by aeblank » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:01 pm

I have a small form windows 10 PC that I'm using as a "portable media center". Being a small form, the only types of storage are external.
In it, I have a 128GB micro SD card and a 1TB external hard drive that I had laying around. I have all auto-play options turned OFF.

Below is what shows up in "videos". The library only has the default videos folder and "My Videos 2" that is on the USB HDD (the Toshiba).

At a minimum, I'd like the auto-adding to STOP.
In a perfect world, I could combine folders, like a library. For example, the recorded TV has 2 locations, but as a user, you don't even know. They just all show up properly. In videos, any folder added that isn't the "videos" location is contained in a sub-folder (My Videos 2). It shows it one folder level higher than it should, IMO.

Thoughts? Solutions? Ideas?

Thanks!
image.png

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Nobody?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:14 pm

aeblank wrote:I have a small form windows 10 PC that I'm using as a "portable media center". Being a small form, the only types of storage are external.
In it, I have a 128GB micro SD card and a 1TB external hard drive that I had laying around. I have all auto-play options turned OFF.

Below is what shows up in "videos". The library only has the default videos folder and "My Videos 2" that is on the USB HDD (the Toshiba).

At a minimum, I'd like the auto-adding to STOP.
In a perfect world, I could combine folders, like a library. For example, the recorded TV has 2 locations, but as a user, you don't even know. They just all show up properly. In videos, any folder added that isn't the "videos" location is contained in a sub-folder (My Videos 2). It shows it one folder level higher than it should, IMO.

Thoughts? Solutions? Ideas?

Thanks!
image.png
Sounds like you just need to remove the offending folders from media libraries.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 pm

They aren't *IN* the libraries. They're auto-added.
As I mentioned, "My Videos 2" is the only folder in the library.

seanbperiod

Post by seanbperiod » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:55 am

Bumping this because I was about to post the same thing and it's annoying. It seems like all USB drives are being read as being camera drives and regular media drives in the videos section. If anyone knows how to remove the camera-like links as pictured in the first post, please post!

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 pm

BUMP again.

A couple things I've noticed. On windows 7, external hard drives don't show up as a camera in videos.
On windows 10, external drives *do* show up as a camera in videos.

USB drives show up in both 7 & 10 as a camera in videos.

Made me wonder if it has something to do with the autoplay settings, but I couldn't find any settings that changed it.

Super annoying. Sure would like a fix, even if it's a mikinhosoft-type utility to make the videos folder display how they're supposed to. It should be more like the recorded TV, it'll aggregate all the locations so that the end user has no idea it's in 1, 2, 4, or 20 locations.