Windows 10 1803 Spring Creators Update, game over?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jazz_dude

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jazz_dude » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:01 am

With all this talk of possible WMC impending doom. yesterday I thought I'd check out 2 of the live TV alternatives on regular (not Insider) Windows 10 x64 i7 8GB TBS 6205 DVB - T/T2 quad tuner.

Media Portal took 3 attempts to install, and when finally up and running, there was no EPG. I tried the 3 suggested methods for EPG, but no-go, so I gave up - TV is useless without EPG.

Next PVR installed OK and found the EPG straight away. However, the channels could not be re-ordered without re-numbering every station. The picture was mainly pixelated despite trying different codecs, so I installed Kodi as a front end (AFAIK, Kodi uses its own codecs). That cured the picture quality, but Kodi being Kodi, it was really confusing trying to navigate around the gui - diabolical in fact. I never got to try recording several channels at once due to 'unknown error' message when trying to record just one channel. Abandoned NPVR/Kodi as well.

So that was a wasted couple of hours . . .

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:20 am

Here is a simple, quick and dirty, PVR.....and the 6205 is on the compatability list (look under the devices tab)

http://www.sichbopvr.com

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Was there a work-a-round found for running WMC on 1803 and playing videos ?

On my Office/Gaming machine, I don't have a tuner setup (due to Cablcard Ceton issues) but, I do share my recorded folder with it, so I can watch recorded shows. If WMC wont play recorded shows it would be a big issue.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Was there a work-a-round found for running WMC on 1803 and playing videos ?
With release 17133.1 the answer is no

I keep the faith because Microsoft published yesterday a new release 17133.73 but i coulnd't install it because of a windows update error, so icould'nt either confirm if the bug was fixed. Try again later and give you feedback

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 pm

lachape_one wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Was there a work-a-round found for running WMC on 1803 and playing videos ?
With release 17133.1 the answer is no

I keep the faith because Microsoft published yesterday a new release 17133.73 but i coulnd't install it because of a windows update error, so icould'nt either confirm if the bug was fixed. Try again later and give you feedback

Yea, I read it was going to be public and they yanked it the day before the release.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:38 am

On my Office/Gaming machine, I don't have a tuner setup (due to Cablcard Ceton issues) but, I do share my recorded folder with it, so I can watch recorded shows. If WMC wont play recorded shows it would be a big issue.
Stephens fix for 1709 works for some on 1803. I think T-S was reincarnated.as a Stephan.

Read through the first week of April for a full report.

Here are a couple reports that appear to agree.

"upgraded to 1803 and Media Center will not play any .wtv files recorded on v1709 and earlier (decoder error) - even those recorded by a different PC."

"Wth files recorded on 1803...play on 1803
1709 files don't play on 1803
1803 files do play on 1709

You probably seen this before in the past old don't play on New

What did you guys do last time?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Crash2009 wrote:

Stephens fix for 1709 works for some on 1803. I think T-S was reincarnated.as a Stephan.

Read through the first week of April for a full report.

Here are a couple reports that appear to agree.

"upgraded to 1803 and Media Center will not play any .wtv files recorded on v1709 and earlier (decoder error) - even those recorded by a different PC."

"Wth files recorded on 1803...play on 1803
1709 files don't play on 1803
1803 files do play on 1709

You probably seen this before in the past old don't play on New

What did you guys do last time?
oh, this could be the nail in the coffin for WMC on Windows 10 for me. I cant use a tuner but, use it to play back recorded shows on WMC on Windows 7. Maybe there will be a work-around. I don't have the new update yet so.

Never saw this issue of not playing Windows 7 WMC recorded shows... Interesting issue.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 am

Microsoft published yesterday for Windows Insiders 17134 as "Release Preview"
If there is no BSOD or serious bug reported, most people in the Microsoft's Discord server believe it will be the RTM, probably for April 24
No need to say that the "Codec error" is always present in this release. So I configured Windows Update to delay updates for 365 days, time to observe any possible fix , or to definitely migrate all my 600Gb of wtv files for another format :cry:

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am

lachape_one wrote:Microsoft published yesterday for Windows Insiders 17134 as "Release Preview"
If there is no BSOD or serious bug reported, most people in the Microsoft's Discord server believe it will be the RTM, probably for April 24
No need to say that the "Codec error" is always present in this release. So I configured Windows Update to delay updates for 365 days, time to observe any possible fix , or to definitely migrate all my 600Gb of wtv files for another format :cry:
You might want to add a couple more things to your update prevention scheme. The first thing is 2 disable the update service in services. Even though update service is disabled, it appears Defender has an alternate update service of its own. If Ms decides 2 send a critical update to Defender and it executes buy time delay, technically the time delay could go into service turn on or enable, Windows update service that you disabled, and you're hit.

So you might want to delay updates like you did
Disable the update service
Disable any Microsoft antivirus such as Defender
And possibly even unplug ethernet when you can't be there to watch what's going on.

There have been reports of updates getting in even though the service was disabled.

Another little trick is 2 increase the size of the cache for restore. When you get hit some of the updates use up all the space in your restore cache. Next thing you know you go to restore and the only restore points that are in there are the three updates that you just got just got nailed with.

A off site, system image is also a good idea the day before Patch Tuesday. DVD/USB etc

I have one box that has been avoiding updates since 2015. I have managed to keep it at 10586 .0

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:54 am

I forgot the name of the software at the moment but there is one where you can edit your original image as well as your Windows store local and completely remove Defender Edge and any other thing you don't want or don't like.. after this software removes Edge for example Edge cannot be updated. You can't update what's not there

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Here is how to fix the issue: you'll have to replace msvidctl.dll april creator's version by the fall creators one, and everything's work fine again. WMC can stay alive after April 30 !
Thanks to MVP @PinpointTownes for the tip !

More details (in French): https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2018/ ... ent-faire/

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:58 pm

I can confirm that replacing the above mentioned file works for HDHomerun tuners as well as non-encrypted IP content. Still playing in 2018.

Noel55

Post by Noel55 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:26 am

I just updated to Windows 10 (Home) v.1803 OS Build 17134.1 and WMC was a no go, wouldn't start and no error message displayed.
However, by using the Run as Administrator option WMC started in set-up mode.
Went thru set-up, performed channel scan on my 2 tuners, and all seems well again.
Old recordings appear to be intact, too.

1ST1

Post by 1ST1 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:24 am

Noel55 wrote:I just updated to Windows 10 (Home) v.1803 OS Build 17134.1 and WMC was a no go, wouldn't start and no error message displayed.
However, by using the Run as Administrator option WMC started in set-up mode.
Went thru set-up, performed channel scan on my 2 tuners, and all seems well again.
Old recordings appear to be intact, too.
I had the same issue, but I didn't came on this idea. Good to know for next time. So I uninstalled (needed to manually delete c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome folder) and reinstalled, then I replaced the DLL and WMC up and running again.

I think running ehome with admin rights for the 1st time, like above in the quoted has to do with c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome folder and security setting. this should be investigated closer to generate a fixing script?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:36 am

Magi^

Post by Magi^ » Sat May 05, 2018 1:26 pm

I can also confirm that the msvidctl.dll fix worked for me upgrading from (Pro/x64) 1709 to 1803 on Wednesday. Initially, WMP would not start but I traced that to the version of WMP Tag Plus I was using (beta fix/update here). My two main requirements when upgrading Windows 10 is to (obviously) keep a functional WMC but also I play my substantial FLAC/MP3 collection through WMP which while is a tad old skool, suits my needs well and all integrates nicely. I was a little worried post-upgrade but once I'd finished all the reg tweaks and usual 3rd party (re)installs I am pleased to say that I got full functionality back.

I decided to stick with the WMC 8.8.1 (unsure what the latest is?); the only real difference I notice on my system is when WMC starts up, the splash screen doesn't 'fade in' properly any more and 'judders' into place. Ditto with some other parts of the app, the screen goes blank but eventually comes back with the section I was after (if syncing Music playing with WMP). TV is as good as it was earlier and the EPG updates as it did before so basically... phew! :thumbup: Even TV recorded on previous Win10 builds plays fine.

The question is, how long will it last? I do fear Microsoft are slowly killing all the pre-req's for even the modded version of WMC to run which is a real shame :(

Also, if anyone knows if a more recent mod/version of WMC fixes the juddering I mentioned above then that would be fantastic to know. Cheers.

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 am

I've rolled back to 1709 and everything seems to be working again.One additional issue that I noticed on 1803 was that I also couldn't get the v8.8.1 or v12 uninstallers to work (yes, ran them as Admin), so I couldn't even try to install WMC again from scratch on 1803. The uninstallers were giving me something like "/i cannot be found" (sorry, I don't have the exact errors), and they were telling me to run the outer uninstaller, even though I *was* running the outer uninstaller. Any idea what that is? Edit: Nm, I think this first issue was unrelated to 1803, was just a PATH issue, my msys64's find was interfering with Windows' find.

After I ran into that issue, I tried doing the MediaCenterRecoveryTask command, running WMC as Admin, and choosing "Custom" to reconfigure the settings from scratch, but it got stuck there at a spinning circle and didn't go anywhere, so I had to force quit the process. I gave that two tries before deciding to roll back to 1709.

I'm making an image of my machine with 1709 now, then I can do some further testing. Would it be possible to backup my WMC settings, uninstall WMC from 1709, update to 1803, re-install WMC, and then re-apply my WMC settings (and replace the msvidctl.dll that people are talking about)?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:49 pm

mmortal03 wrote:
I'm making an image of my machine with 1709 now, then I can do some further testing. Would it be possible to backup my WMC settings, uninstall WMC from 1709, update to 1803, re-install WMC, and then re-apply my WMC settings (and replace the msvidctl.dll that people are talking about)?
WMCv8.8.1 has a Settings-Backup-Restore function. Use File Explorer and look in the WMCv8.8.1 installation files for the Backup-Restore Utility, then run the utility using TestRights. While you are in there, print ReadMe.txt and WorkAround.txt. one of those two files should contain instructions Re: Settings-Backup-Restore.

I would assume the Msvidctl.dll procedure (which has not been documented, in detail....as of yet) would be performed immediately after the 1803 Update, and prior to the WMCv8.8.1 Install-Restore-Settings procedure.

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:46 am

Crash2009 wrote: WMCv8.8.1 has a Settings-Backup-Restore function. Use File Explorer and look in the WMCv8.8.1 installation files for the Backup-Restore Utility, then run the utility using TestRights. While you are in there, print ReadMe.txt and WorkAround.txt. one of those two files should contain instructions Re: Settings-Backup-Restore.

I would assume the Msvidctl.dll procedure (which has not been documented, in detail....as of yet) would be performed immediately after the 1803 Update, and prior to the WMCv8.8.1 Install-Restore-Settings procedure.
Reporting back, so, I tried this sequence, and it didn't work the first time, and it's still unclear what I've finally done to get it to work, but I'll describe what I did:

On 1709 I ran the v8.8.1 Backup-Restore script to backup my settings, then copied the msvidctl.dll file to a separate location, ran the v8.8.1 uninstaller, rebooted, updated to 1803, replaced the msvidctl.dll in System32, ran the v8.8.1 installer, ran Backup-Restore script to restore the settings, rebooted, opened WMC, went to check the Recording location settings... and WMC froze, had to kill the process. At that point, subsequent loading of WMC had WMC freezing, black screening, etc. So, I ran the ResetSettings.cmd script, then was able to open WMC, closed WMC (without configuring it), ran Backup-Restore to restore the settings a second time, and *this* time it seems to be working without freezing. Time will tell, I guess.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:49 pm

When I use fsutil hard link list on syswow64\msvidctl.dll, the elevated command prompt returns two locations of msvidctl.dll

After running the same command on system32\msvidctl.dll, the command prompt returns two locations also.

Has anyone considered, or documented, which file they had just finished replacing?

Do we need to consider something for the secondary locations....

WinSxS\wow64
WinSxS\amd64

BTW, this script was run in an old version of Windows 10 (10586).

Ignore the copy in ServerBDA.
Attachments
20180507_095237.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Mon May 07, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.