Windows 10 1803 Spring Creators Update, game over?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)

Re: Windows 10 1803 Spring Creators Update, game over?

Post#21 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:01 am

With all this talk of possible WMC impending doom. yesterday I thought I'd check out 2 of the live TV alternatives on regular (not Insider) Windows 10 x64 i7 8GB TBS 6205 DVB - T/T2 quad tuner.

Media Portal took 3 attempts to install, and when finally up and running, there was no EPG. I tried the 3 suggested methods for EPG, but no-go, so I gave up - TV is useless without EPG.

Next PVR installed OK and found the EPG straight away. However, the channels could not be re-ordered without re-numbering every station. The picture was mainly pixelated despite trying different codecs, so I installed Kodi as a front end (AFAIK, Kodi uses its own codecs). That cured the picture quality, but Kodi being Kodi, it was really confusing trying to navigate around the gui - diabolical in fact. I never got to try recording several channels at once due to 'unknown error' message when trying to record just one channel. Abandoned NPVR/Kodi as well.

So that was a wasted couple of hours . . .
jazz_dude

Post#22 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:20 am

Here is a simple, quick and dirty, PVR.....and the 6205 is on the compatability list (look under the devices tab)

http://www.sichbopvr.com
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#23 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Was there a work-a-round found for running WMC on 1803 and playing videos ?

On my Office/Gaming machine, I don't have a tuner setup (due to Cablcard Ceton issues) but, I do share my recorded folder with it, so I can watch recorded shows. If WMC wont play recorded shows it would be a big issue.
DavidinCT

5+ YrsTGB VeteranMicrosoft MVP
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Post#24 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Was there a work-a-round found for running WMC on 1803 and playing videos ?

With release 17133.1 the answer is no

I keep the faith because Microsoft published yesterday a new release 17133.73 but i coulnd't install it because of a windows update error, so icould'nt either confirm if the bug was fixed. Try again later and give you feedback
lachape_one

Post#25 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 pm

lachape_one wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:Was there a work-a-round found for running WMC on 1803 and playing videos ?

With release 17133.1 the answer is no

I keep the faith because Microsoft published yesterday a new release 17133.73 but i coulnd't install it because of a windows update error, so icould'nt either confirm if the bug was fixed. Try again later and give you feedback

Yea, I read it was going to be public and they yanked it the day before the release.
DavidinCT

-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Post#26 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:38 am

On my Office/Gaming machine, I don't have a tuner setup (due to Cablcard Ceton issues) but, I do share my recorded folder with it, so I can watch recorded shows. If WMC wont play recorded shows it would be a big issue.

Stephens fix for 1709 works for some on 1803. I think T-S was reincarnated.as a Stephan.

Read through the first week of April for a full report.

Here are a couple reports that appear to agree.

"upgraded to 1803 and Media Center will not play any .wtv files recorded on v1709 and earlier (decoder error) - even those recorded by a different PC."

"Wth files recorded on 1803...play on 1803
1709 files don't play on 1803
1803 files do play on 1709

You probably seen this before in the past old don't play on New

What did you guys do last time?
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#27 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Crash2009 wrote:

Stephens fix for 1709 works for some on 1803. I think T-S was reincarnated.as a Stephan.

Read through the first week of April for a full report.

Here are a couple reports that appear to agree.

"upgraded to 1803 and Media Center will not play any .wtv files recorded on v1709 and earlier (decoder error) - even those recorded by a different PC."

"Wth files recorded on 1803...play on 1803
1709 files don't play on 1803
1803 files do play on 1709

You probably seen this before in the past old don't play on New

What did you guys do last time?

oh, this could be the nail in the coffin for WMC on Windows 10 for me. I cant use a tuner but, use it to play back recorded shows on WMC on Windows 7. Maybe there will be a work-around. I don't have the new update yet so.

Never saw this issue of not playing Windows 7 WMC recorded shows... Interesting issue.
DavidinCT

-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Post#28 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 am

Microsoft published yesterday for Windows Insiders 17134 as "Release Preview"
If there is no BSOD or serious bug reported, most people in the Microsoft's Discord server believe it will be the RTM, probably for April 24
No need to say that the "Codec error" is always present in this release. So I configured Windows Update to delay updates for 365 days, time to observe any possible fix , or to definitely migrate all my 600Gb of wtv files for another format :cry:
lachape_one

Post#29 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am

lachape_one wrote:Microsoft published yesterday for Windows Insiders 17134 as "Release Preview"
If there is no BSOD or serious bug reported, most people in the Microsoft's Discord server believe it will be the RTM, probably for April 24
No need to say that the "Codec error" is always present in this release. So I configured Windows Update to delay updates for 365 days, time to observe any possible fix , or to definitely migrate all my 600Gb of wtv files for another format :cry:

You might want to add a couple more things to your update prevention scheme. The first thing is 2 disable the update service in services. Even though update service is disabled, it appears Defender has an alternate update service of its own. If Ms decides 2 send a critical update to Defender and it executes buy time delay, technically the time delay could go into service turn on or enable, Windows update service that you disabled, and you're hit.

So you might want to delay updates like you did
Disable the update service
Disable any Microsoft antivirus such as Defender
And possibly even unplug ethernet when you can't be there to watch what's going on.

There have been reports of updates getting in even though the service was disabled.

Another little trick is 2 increase the size of the cache for restore. When you get hit some of the updates use up all the space in your restore cache. Next thing you know you go to restore and the only restore points that are in there are the three updates that you just got just got nailed with.

A off site, system image is also a good idea the day before Patch Tuesday. DVD/USB etc

I have one box that has been avoiding updates since 2015. I have managed to keep it at 10586 .0
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#30 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:54 am

I forgot the name of the software at the moment but there is one where you can edit your original image as well as your Windows store local and completely remove Defender Edge and any other thing you don't want or don't like.. after this software removes Edge for example Edge cannot be updated. You can't update what's not there
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Previous

Return to Windows 10 Media Center