Live stream via Remote Potato From 7 to 10?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live stream via Remote Potato From 7 to 10?

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:19 pm

has anyone tried this or is it not possible. I haven't setup remote potato in a while but I think it lets you view live TV from one WMC to the next. If so, it might be the easiest way to get cablecard back into WMC. I know at a bare minimum, you will need silverlight, and wmc on the ten machine.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm

jachin99 wrote:has anyone tried this or is it not possible. I haven't setup remote potato in a while but I think it lets you view live TV from one WMC to the next. If so, it might be the easiest way to get cablecard back into WMC. I know at a bare minimum, you will need silverlight, and WMC on the ten machine.
Has anyone played any deeper with the hacks for Windows 10 WMC (and they could enablable for Windows 7) RDP into WMC machine that played video ? Adding another profile and it could be workable.

I think this would be what your looking for but, I don't think any streaming type apps allowed protected content to stream... someone correct me if I am wrong here but, I am 99% sure. If you have cablecard content that is NOT protected, then no problem.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:05 pm

I have unprotected CC so that wouldn't be an issue for me. If this works, it would make WMC 10 with regular updates doable for more people. I'm personally sticking with 7 for all of my main PCs but for my laptop, which is 10, this would be good enough.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 am

DavidinCT wrote:I don't think any streaming type apps allowed protected content to stream...
This isn't really a streaming app......but...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 974#p99974

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:I don't think any streaming type apps allowed protected content to stream...
This isn't really a streaming app......but...

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 974#p99974
TeamViewer. It does work but, causes issues on the desktop/HTPC machine(as it replaces the video driver). It does work full screen with WMC. It works fine to play TV over the local lan, over remote location can be very spotty (it's not optimized for streaming video, it's not really designed for that). I used it for the longes time on my HTPC till I ran into a few video basted issues that I could not fix with drivers, after removing teamvewer it seemed to resolve this. Just remember, my HTPC runs at 4K and is used with bitstreaming to get Atmos and other HD formats, so my config is very tight and minor changes can have a big affect on it.

Crash you were playiing with RDP sessions with WMC playing video, I know there was some HEX edits available for WIndows 7 to do this. Was there any progress on this or is it how it was like a year ago ?

To be honest, I have not been watching that thread any more as I have not seen any new changes and it's just a tech support thread now for people who dont read..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:04 pm

rdp is the same as it was a year ago. T-S has been dropping in to solve a few issues from time to time....using a different alias each time.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Alright, so here is a little clarification, I don't think you need remote potato installed on the Win 10 machine but you do need to have it installed on either a 7 or 8 machine to act as the server. The CLIENT program is called Shared Guide Potato, and I think it was made by sccrgoalie. It might require BDA support on the client machine, and you CAN use it view live TV, and schedule/view recordings. Remote potato is the server software, shared guide potato is the client WMC client software. Here is an article about shared guide potato. http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2011 ... ep-closer/