MC remote not working in Windows 10 at all

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)

MC remote not working in Windows 10 at all

Post#1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

I've recently discovered that the media center remote is not working *at all* in windows 10 on two of my PC's. both are updated to current W10 versions/updates.

The remote control used to work to control not only Media Center, but also worked to control Windows Media Player, and the PC's volume. I'm not sure when this stopped working.

Anyone else see this and/or have a fix? I've looked, done some searching and kind find anything of substance on the issue.

I'm still using Media Center on 8.1 for my primary system, with the problems of late with the guide, I'm looking at switching to Kodi or Plex (probably Kodi so that I can use the Silicon Dust DVR), but that's not going to happen unless I can get the remote working.

I do use Media Center on my desktop in my office, so the remote control isn't truly required - but I'd really like it to work.
bobstr

Post#2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 am

What exactly is you Win10 version?

Open Cortana and type winver. need the version and build number.

Open up Device Manager....Do you have an Ehome Tranceiver?

Does the broken remote work on your Win8 system?
Attachments
EhomeTransceiver001.JPG
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#3 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:11 am

Here are a couple more idea's.

viewtopic.php?p=116667#p116667

Remove the batteries and short the remote.
Crash2009

5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#4 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Crash2009 - both systems running 1703 (OS build 15063.413), and both systems show 'Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver', and the remote working correctly with an 8.1 system (and the remote from the 8.1 system doesn't work with the W10 systems).

However, after weeks of having this problem, with no changes to the desktop that I am aware of (the W10 machine where I first discovered this problem), it now works. I've got no idea as to what may have changed that caused it to start working.

I'm not going to get a chance to test the laptop until tonight.

Thanks for the help though!
bobstr

Post#5 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I know Chrome hijacks a handful of the remote commands if you have a process running in the system tray.
suttonb1

Post#6 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm

bobstr wrote:
I'm still using Media Center on 8.1 for my primary system, with the problems of late with the guide, I'm looking at switching to Kodi or Plex (probably Kodi so that I can use the Silicon Dust DVR), but that's not going to happen unless I can get the remote working.

Don't forget, SageTV is back up and running, this time as an open source project.
marvin-miller

Return to Windows 10 Media Center