Infinitv 6 PCI-e card not recognized by WMC on Win 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
davidm71

HTPC Specs: Show details

Infinitv 6 PCI-e card not recognized by WMC on Win 10

Post by davidm71 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi,

I have a Ceton InfinitTV 6 cablecard PCI-E tuner I'm trying to get recognized by WMC which I have successfully installed into Windows 10 1607 fresh upgrade from Win 8.1. I am able to watch live TV using NextPVR Application so my tuner card is functioning but WMC just fails to see it to use it. Anyone know how to get it recognized???

Thank you

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Ceton tuners do not work on windows 10. Cablecard tuners will not work on any channels with DRM on win 10 v1607.

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:07 pm

cwinfield wrote:Ceton tuners do not work on windows 10. Cablecard tuners will not work on any channels with DRM on win 10 v1607.
Sorry. They work at least with NextPVR in Windows 10. Not sure about DRM.

Anyhow if anyone know where the Ceton log files are kept I would appreciate a tip.

thanks

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Hello davidm71,
cwinfield is correct Ceton tuners do not work in WMC after the Anniversary edition update. You can however load the Ceton drivers onto Windows 10 which is allowing you to watch tv through NextPVR. The drawback is if you have channels that are DRM you will be unable to watch them due to WMC being the only place to get the required CableLabs certification. If you would like to help figure out how to get cablecards and/or turners to work in WMC I suggest you go here: https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threa ... es/page760 This is a very very long thread about getting WMC working in windows 10.
Thanks and I wish we had a better answer as I'm running Ceton PCIe 6 tuner as well. It is also highly suggested if this is your main WMC PC to immediately rollback to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 as it is unlikely a fix is coming.
-Sharks

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

As of right now I am still trying to understand the cause of why WMC doesn't see the Tuners. If that is determined then perhaps we can fix this because I think the gold standard is to have Win 10 and WMC together. So far I've got the JRiver MC working on non DRM channels which suits my purposes just fine. Only thing is having a problem with NextPVR viewing HD channels. Tried a lot of different codecs but non of them seem to work. Just get audio but fwiw I might just buy a license to JR MC and cut my losses. Its front end gui just isnt as elegant and simple as WMC but at least it works and isn't sluggish changing channels like I remember WMC and even NextPVR are with my cablecard tuner. In anycase I got an idea to do a new windows 8 install and study the registry keys for wmc and ceton and transfer them over to win 10, but I think whats going on is possibly a network configuration error on the networked tuner cards so I doubt that would do anything. Worth a try though.

Thanks

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:19 am

my Ceton tuner was working just fine with the pre-anniversary update version of Win10. You may consider installing the older version of Win10. With that said, you will need to disable updates because your machine will update and it will break things. Hard choice to make.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Personally, for AU to work, I think we need a new DCA...or...a new Win10 component for DCA to connect to.

No DCA = No CableCard Tuner

All the other type's of tuners that do not require DCA, work in AU. If you run the DCA and investigate the links in the DCA install screens, you will see what I'm saying.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:56 pm

davidm71 wrote:Hi,

As of right now I am still trying to understand the cause of why WMC doesn't see the Tuners. If that is determined then perhaps we can fix this because I think the gold standard is to have Win 10 and WMC together. So far I've got the JRiver MC working on non DRM channels which suits my purposes just fine. Only thing is having a problem with NextPVR viewing HD channels. Tried a lot of different codecs but non of them seem to work. Just get audio but fwiw I might just buy a license to JR MC and cut my losses. Its front end gui just isnt as elegant and simple as WMC but at least it works and isn't sluggish changing channels like I remember WMC and even NextPVR are with my cablecard tuner. In anycase I got an idea to do a new windows 8 install and study the registry keys for WMC and ceton and transfer them over to win 10, but I think whats going on is possibly a network configuration error on the networked tuner cards so I doubt that would do anything. Worth a try though.

Thanks
I also have the same card. I have been battling with this for MONTHS and very involved at a point with the WMC on 10 project, as Crash is.

The problem comes down to DRM and Play ready, as I understand it. On the Anniversary upgrade they moved from Playready 2.3 to 3.0 (this to support HDCP 2.2, the standard for 4k and 4k Blu-ray, also HDR), this pretty much killed off all old applications. If you were a Zune user with DRM protected music or Media Player DRM music, this affected you as well.

Cablecards in WMC REQUIRE this secure path to work. The HDR one was using a back door method.

About the ONLY way to get it to work is to hack in DRM/Playready 2.3 (the one WMC used) and get the support back in Windows 10. The big thing about Playready is it's secure, as no one (big companies like Cable Labs) would trust their content in it. So your odds of someone HACKING it into a new version of Windows and get it FULLY working...well lets say your odds are higher of taking a Nerf™ gun and shooting a pin 5 miles away. And then you have to worry about a Windows update killing it again (as some updates completely remove WMC and you have to start all over)

When you talk about almost imposable tasks for a consumer, this is one of those. If it was fairly easy, Playready would not be a trusted secure path.

The ONLY one who could fix this is Microsoft and I don't think they would do it for a HACKED version of their software.

If you want to run WMC, go back to 7 or 8.1, but, if you need 10, get a different tuner as all Ceton tuners do not work in WMC under Windows 10 and contacting their support was a dead end, as I have tried a few times.

Trust me, I would love to be proven wrong here, so if you find something different please let me know !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:47 am

So regardless of DRM if I'm interested in just the basic non-drm channels there is no way to get it to recognize the tuner cards?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:51 am

davidm71 wrote:So regardless of DRM if I'm interested in just the basic non-drm channels there is no way to get it to recognize the tuner cards?
I was testing AU 1607 with an HDHR-3CC. I used DVBLink Server V6.0 which installed a bunch of Virtual Tuners into Win10's device manager. WMC saw the Virtual Tuner's and allowed me to set them up. Non-DRM channels worked fine. I did not test any of the Ceton Tuners

DavidinCT tried the same thing using the InfiniTV6 (like yours) and was unable to make it work.

A long time ago I setup an InfiniTV4 without a cableCARD installed. It played live TV and would record whatever you were watching, but it was a pretty lame setup.

Try the 6 with no CableCARD in it. See if WMC will let you setup as a Plain-Jane-Digital-Tuner.

Might be an easier project to get a 2015 version (10586.0) of Win10, unplug the Ethernet during the install so it cant update before you disable the Update Service. Then install WMC and the TV6 as normal.

Any other tuner will work with AU 1607 (OTA-DVB-T Satellite-DVB-S ) CableCARD is the only one that MS has disabled. We tried a lot of stuff over a period of months. Go over to the MDL Site and start reading around August 2, 2015 (that was the day of the first wave of AU 1607) The project is crippled now that the main Guru (T-S) has been banned. We are lost without him. I have his email, I will try to contact him and see if the project can be revived at a different website.

jazz_dude

Post by jazz_dude » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Crash2009 wrote:The project is crippled now that the main Guru (T-S) has been banned. We are lost without him.
Any idea why T-S was banned ? I didn't bother asking at MDL because I'm guessing that, like most forums, discussing bans is not allowed. The guy seems to really know his stuff.

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:25 am

Just installed Kodi with Nextpvr backend and I am pretty impressed. I get to use my cablecard tuner though on just the regular channels but thats good enough for me. It has a slick interface and I think rivals WMC although no DRM channels. Not a big a deal as I watch a lot of news channels. Tried the DB Server but couldn't get WMC to work with it. Maybe I did something wrong. Not sure. Still have experimenting to do. Will stick with Kodi for now.

Thanks

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 am

davidm71 wrote:Just installed Kodi with Nextpvr backend and I am pretty impressed. I get to use my cablecard tuner though on just the regular channels but thats good enough for me. It has a slick interface and I think rivals WMC although no DRM channels. Not a big a deal as I watch a lot of news channels. Tried the DB Server but couldn't get WMC to work with it. Maybe I did something wrong. Not sure. Still have experimenting to do. Will stick with Kodi for now.

Thanks
No big deal...DVBLink Server wont play DRM channels (Starz, HBO, etc) anyway.

I only did it because they said it couldn't be done. Same for WMC on Win10. It was fun to watch those guys split Win10 wide open and install WMC after it was removed.

I am still running Win7 on my main TV Server.

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 am

Maybe I'll install Win 7 and dual boot. Having a tv server sounds interesting. What's it like? Also you ever get VLC to live stream the tv cards ip address? I never could get that to work. Thanks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:54 am

jazz_dude wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:The project is crippled now that the main Guru (T-S) has been banned. We are lost without him.
Any idea why T-S was banned ? I didn't bother asking at MDL because I'm guessing that, like most forums, discussing bans is not allowed. The guy seems to really know his stuff.
I sent him an email...no answer yet.

There is a little gang of antagonists over there. Kind of like when you are on the freeway and 3 cars will block all 3 lanes in front of you, and force everyone behind them to go 60mph in an 80mph...only way by is take the shoulder, cop sees it, you get the ticket, and the 3 slow cars keep going to trap their next victim.

I was fortunate to watch him working on mine through TeamViewer. I watched him click on an error, then right click, and scroll down, next thing you know the error is shown in the registry, quick edit and save, and back to the diag to go after the next one. Pretty amazing to watch.

I never read the rules... they have some over there somewhere... we discussed his last ban. I think myself or someone else asked a mod for an explanation and the length of the ban. This ban is not as critical. We were in the middle of a project last time.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:05 am

davidm71 wrote:Maybe I'll install Win 7 and dual boot. Having a tv server sounds interesting. What's it like? Also you ever get VLC to live stream the tv cards ip address? I never could get that to work. Thanks.
Check your inbox. I just sent you a PM

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 am

Top left click home
Select live tv

top center hit guide

Scroll down

Pick a show

Starz wont work DRM
AOD and a few others don't work

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:54 am

Crash2009 wrote:Top left click home
Select live tv

top center hit guide

Scroll down

Pick a show

Starz wont work DRM
AOD and a few others don't work
When you are done looking around,
go back to the top left again
scroll down
sign out

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:23 am

jazz_dude wrote:
Click on his name and read his last 5 posts before the ban

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
jazz_dude wrote:
Click on his name and read his last 5 posts before the ban
It's not been the first time he was banned over there....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012