Install of WMC on Windows 10 flickers

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
cwinfield

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:49 am

Sounds like your using AMD graphics

The option you want to disable is the check box, 3rd from the top
Last edited by cwinfield on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 am

Read through this one and check your Monitor Refresh Rate. Last post says how to do that.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... itpromedia
Attachments
Flicker001.jpg

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:45 am

Ther crimson software may be your problem seeing as your using a A6:

You must use drivers furnished by Microsoft...as AMD said.

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:
•AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
•AMD E2-2000 APU
•AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
•AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
•AMD C-Series APUs
•AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver. If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issu
1.Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Pane
2.Reboot the system
3.Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:03 am

soapdishbandit wrote:
shavid0610 wrote:Have done a lot of playing. Digital content plays without stutter on VLC, Windows Media Player and with the built in Film & TV. Even works fine with WMC in small screen.

Stutter only happens with WMC in full screen. And after studying it closely it is more like every 2 seconds
When in fullscreen, can you check if the stuttering is even while navigating the menu? I may have the same issue and it may have to due with dual monitor setup. Do you have more than one monitor connected?
Hi. I only have one monitor. Well not a monitor, my HTC is hooked up to a Sharp Aquos television

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:26 pm

shavid0610 wrote:
soapdishbandit wrote:
shavid0610 wrote:Have done a lot of playing. Digital content plays without stutter on VLC, Windows Media Player and with the built in Film & TV. Even works fine with WMC in small screen.

Stutter only happens with WMC in full screen. And after studying it closely it is more like every 2 seconds
When in fullscreen, can you check if the stuttering is even while navigating the menu? I may have the same issue and it may have to due with dual monitor setup. Do you have more than one monitor connected?
Hi. I only have one monitor. Well not a monitor, my HTC is hooked up to a Sharp Aquos television
Post 22...Have you had time to look into refresh rate?

What model Sharp Aquos television?

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:45 am

Hi. I only have one monitor. Well not a monitor, my HTC is hooked up to a Sharp Aquos television[/quote]

Post 22...Have you had time to look into refresh rate?

What model Sharp Aquos television?[/quote]

Sharp Aquos Quattron. Number on remote says GA988WJSA

Few posts back I added the following

EDIT - Just tried on TV rather than digital and it worked. Wasn't reading through instructions carefully enough I guess.

Says the following:-
Video Codec MPEG2
Bit rate 3127540 bps
Frame corruption rate 6
Corrupt frame count 162
Native size 1024x576
Display size 1920x1080
Frame rate 25

When I go to a small screen it changes to:-
Bit rate 2037910 bps
Frame corruption rate 18
Corrupt frame count 313
Display size 1176x662
Frame rate 59.9401

Other things stayed the same

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:26 am

shavid0610 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:She is participating in several threads, one of them she confirmed the flicker in the menu as well as while playing video. Not sure if stutter is a new problem or just a new description of the same problem.

Anybody look into the possibility of a DX12 issue?
Stutter soeasn't appear to be an issue in the menu any more. Just live tv and digital playback.

Although now the pixelation is back after it went away after reinstalling the capture card drivers.
You are going to have to get the Model number from the back of the tv

Then type the model number and GTX 750

into AVS forum search box. I suspect this combination is causing your trouble

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-f ... ist-2.html

shavid0610

Post by shavid0610 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:49 pm

TV is a LC-70lE735X

Is it possible that it is an issue between the TV and graphics card with wmc only? No problems with vlc or any other program. No problem with wmc on windows 7.

No results on AVS forum when searching those 2 terms

muranoone

Post by muranoone » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Hey Y'all

So I have been using Win 10 Pro x64 1511 WMC v12. I did notice that when I launched WMC in Full window mode and tried watching any premium channels I would see some video stuttering, audio was ok but video was very annoying. So I checked the DEBUG: Media Navigator (Press 411 followed immediately by ctrl. D on my Keyboard) and right arrowed to end to see DEBUG: Presentation screen, in the video Frame Rate section I noticed that 29/59 Bug was in full effect hardcore! Moving like lightning back and forth between the two Frame Rates.

Solution = NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Adjust Desktop Color Settings - Content type reported to display : Full-screen videos
Default = Automatic

Also when I minimized the WMC window (windowed)the driver would quit for about 2-3 second's = black screen no audio and the TV would show the info bar: 3840 I 2160 I16:9I Dolby Digital... as if the HDMI was plugged in and out, basically the driver is maxing out and crapping out! Video Card Usage reported 85% just watching Live or Recorded TV.

Solution = NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Change resolution - Output Color format = YCbCr420 - Output color depth = 12 bpc
Default = Output Color format = RGB & Output color depth = 8 bpc

My video card EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 OC 2GB. & an i7 4770 - with 12GB Ram ASRock Extreme 6 Z87 MB.

Using the latest driver 368.81 & It doesn't matter what driver I used. TV = Sony XBR75X850C Since the adjustments watching premium channels usage floats between 2% & 20% and when I minimize shrink WMC displaying Live TV or whatever no more video Loss it just snaps in an out as it should with no hesitation.

** This is my solution with my setup, if it helps someone great.
Thanks for your time.

Robert

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:01 am

muranoone wrote:Hey Y'all

So I have been using Win 10 Pro x64 1511 WMC v12. I did notice that when I launched WMC in Full window mode and tried watching any premium channels I would see some video stuttering, audio was ok but video was very annoying. So I checked the DEBUG: Media Navigator (Press 411 followed immediately by ctrl. D on my Keyboard) and right arrowed to end to see DEBUG: Presentation screen, in the video Frame Rate section I noticed that 29/59 Bug was in full effect hardcore! Moving like lightning back and forth between the two Frame Rates.

Solution = NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Adjust Desktop Color Settings - Content type reported to display : Full-screen videos
Default = Automatic

Also when I minimized the WMC window (windowed)the driver would quit for about 2-3 second's = black screen no audio and the TV would show the info bar: 3840 I 2160 I16:9I Dolby Digital... as if the HDMI was plugged in and out, basically the driver is maxing out and crapping out! Video Card Usage reported 85% just watching Live or Recorded TV.

Solution = NVIDIA Control Panel - Display - Change resolution - Output Color format = YCbCr420 - Output color depth = 12 bpc
Default = Output Color format = RGB & Output color depth = 8 bpc

My video card EVGA NVIDIA GTX 960 OC 2GB. & an i7 4770 - with 12GB Ram ASRock Extreme 6 Z87 MB.

Using the latest driver 368.81 & It doesn't matter what driver I used. TV = Sony XBR75X850C Since the adjustments watching premium channels usage floats between 2% & 20% and when I minimize shrink WMC displaying Live TV or whatever no more video Loss it just snaps in an out as it should with no hesitation.

** This is my solution with my setup, if it helps someone great.
Thanks for your time.

Robert
Many of those options I can't find. I have a 1070 GTX.

muranoone

Post by muranoone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 pm

What is your display? TV or Monitor? HDMI or VGA?

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:50 pm

muranoone wrote:What is your display? TV or Monitor? HDMI or VGA?
Dual monitor setup/cloned display @ 1080p. PC monitor is DVI (the one I am trying to fix), the living room is HDMI (again, just mirrors my main PC monitor).

mjflynt

Post by mjflynt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:20 am

I too have the 2 second stutter on full screen playback or live in WMC on Windows 10. I have not updated to the anniversary edition yet. I assumed it was a Windows thing, but I can play the same recorded WMC videos in VLC fullscreen and there is no manifestation of the issue. Any ideas?

muranoone

Post by muranoone » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:57 pm

Hey Soapdish and anyone else having issues ...

Try Changing the refresh rate to 59Hz in the Nvidia Control Panel and the -Display Settings in the Monitor Tab also.

You could tell Media Center What Resolution and Refresh Rate you would like to use in the Settings-TV-Configure Your TV or Monitor.

Have it match the Desktop Resolution 59Hz and restart your machine after you apply the new settings. You should see a significant performance improvement.

Check this KB Article I found regarding this type of scenario ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2006076