Where is Tuner MHz info stored in WMC Windows 10?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
josb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Where is Tuner MHz info stored in WMC Windows 10?

Post by josb » Sun May 01, 2016 4:18 am

I recently asked a question about failure to obtain a channel (or Group of Channels) in WMC but did not get a reply. Could I please try again with a more basic question in the hope that someone more technically savvy than me can give me a clue? I have done a lot of further reading about WMC and am sure many people have bought a new tuner unnecessarily as they have been unable to figure out how to change certain channels in WMC 10. It may not be possible but it should be and I want to go on using WMC because it is a great program.

Installing WMC in Windows 10 worked brilliantly and running setup showed all Channels that should be available (39 in Adelaide, South Australia) and populated the Guide again perfectly for all Channels. All Channels can be watched (and recorded) except SBS which is 5 TV and 3 Radio Channels broadcast at 184.5MHz. On Live TV or Recording all these come up with message "No TV signal etc - check etc" and there is no flexibility in the program to change. I think the problem occurred at the time SBS in Australia changed its Broadcast frequency but it has been complicated by a move to Windows 10.

if I Right Click in the Guide: Edit Channel: Edit Resources WMC says that these Channels are all broadcasting at the correct Channel Frequency (184.5MHz) at Quality 100%. There is "Locator Info" also but no-one - including SBS - can tell me what this means.

Searching suggests 2 possible causes:
1. The Tuner cannot work at this frequency and should be replaced.
2. WMC has "old" software that has not updated to where it should now be looking for SBS. WMC says it is on 184.5 but remains "hardwired" to continue to look at the previous MHz.Frequencies

Tuner is a Dual DNTV Live! Dual Hybrid S2 bought in Australia in 2007 and based on 7162 BDA DVBT, (NXP SAA7162). As seems to be the case with so many Tuner Drivers there has been no updated Driver since 31/8/2011 (NXP Semiconductors). I have tried, unsuccessfully, with a number of other newer Drivers.
However:
1. Perfect reception and picture at other broadcasted Channels of 177.5MHz (below) and 191.5MHz (above) and other Frequencies
2. DNTV Live! C ompany says that there should be no problem with this Tuner.....
3. Tuner works perfectly on this SBS (and other) Channels with TotalMedia 3.5.

Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS Build 10586.218 64 Bit
Windows Media Center Windows 10 Version 10.0.10134.0

As WMC has progressed it appears to have removed all the flexibility that used to allow adding / checking Channels etc; therefore suggested prior "fixes" for changing Channel reception are no longer available.
All the WMC (10) programme is, I think, now stored in 2 eHome places - the major part is in Windows\eHome. Is there anywhere else I haven't found?
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome
C:\Windows\eHome
It has been suggested that these 2 eHome folders be deleted (to flush WMC) and reload - I have tried this more than once unsuccessfully together with various uninstall and installs.

Have looked through folders to see if I can see where WMC is storing channels so could do an edit but cannot pick it.
Interestingly, I loaded WMC onto a computer without a tuner so it has not done an initial search. The folders C:\Windows\eHome are virtually the same. The other folders - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome are different - larger on the one where I have tuned it including a log FirstRun (txt). However I cannot locate where it is placing the tuner information and therefore cannot try to check or alter it.

Please can somebody clever and knowledgeable make some suggestions. Can one check the tuner information in W10 and can one change it? Have I missed another possibility?

Many thanks

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:21 pm

josb wrote:
Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS Build 10586.218 64 Bit
Windows Media Center Windows 10 Version 10.0.10134.0
10.0.10134.0v2.1 is an OLD pirated version from the original source. I didn't have much luck with that one.

Many of the problems with v2.1 have been corrected in the newer versions. Before doing anything drastic, Upgrade to a more recent authentic version.

Try out

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1189634

or

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1200602

Readme.txt and Workaround.txt contain the troubleshooting instructions. These 2 links are a great place to start reading, and also contain the install file.