EPG Not Working/Guide Download Error Workaround

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
mustardbomb

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG Not Working/Guide Download Error Workaround

Post by mustardbomb » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:36 pm

I have been having issues getting the guide to download, and I don't know if anyone else still is having this issue, but I figured I would post this in case there are still people out there that can't make it work.

After working for months and trying everything under the sun, I got my guide to work, but haven’t tried to replicate it yet. I’m actually using Windows 10 and the v11 installer I found on here on The Green Button, but I think the EPG issue is the same regardless of what version of Windows you are on. Some of this you may have already tried, but I have added some steps.

First, use Notepad to open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and put in the following after the last line:

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

Save and close the file and then flush the DNS.

After that, I would advise doing this on a first run of Media Center, and if you have already set up Media Center, go to Task Scheduler>Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Media Center and find “ObjectStoreRecoveryTask” and right clicking on that and choosing run, then after a second, right click again and click end. This will put your Media Center back to defaults (you will get an error when you open Media Center, but ignore it), and let you perform a first run again.

Here is where my method may differ some from the others you may have seen. On the connect.microsoft.com I saw a user by the name of Dajota post on 10/24/2015 that he used the Buffalo NY zip code 14213 to get his media center to work in Toronto, so I figured I would give it a shot (I live in Knoxville, TN) and just see if it would pull anything up for me, because absolutely none of my zip codes around here work at all, and I get the guide download error. Well, I put that zip in, and lo and behold, holy shit it worked. So it has to be the zip codes after all. Well, I went ahead and went through the setup, and then when it tried to scan for channels I let it detect a few of our over the air channels, then just stopped the scan after it had found a couple of our local networks. After that when I checked the guide, it had 14 days of listings for Buffalo on my guide.

At this point I had hope, and thought well, maybe it has a connection to a guide server now, so I just went back to tasks>settings> in Media Center and just told it to go through the Live TV set up again, and this time I put in my local Knoxville zip code, and it went right through, downloaded the local guide and everything, with no errors. Now I have 14 days of guide listings for Knoxville. I don’t know if it will continue to update on its own, because I’ve seen the guide work initially, but then not update, and I don’t know if I can replicate it yet. I’ll try it soon on another computer.

I am not sure if it’s connected to Rovi now, but if anyone knows how to check please let me know and I’ll update this post and let you know if it did indeed connect me to the right place.

Hope this works for more people who, like me are banging their heads on the wall fighting with the guide. Let me know if it does!

conman0321

Post by conman0321 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:26 am

Logging in to the Buffalo listings and then re-logging in to the Boston-area settings did NOT work. My listings stopped on 4/1. Still trying to figure out a workaround :wtf:

mustardbomb

Post by mustardbomb » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Sorry to hear that. When you put in the Buffalo zip code did you get a guide download error, or did it pull in the Buffalo guide? Did you start with Media Center in a first run state?

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:48 pm

I've had a similar experience,...

This is on my CableCard Media Center system. It was running fine, giving me the least trouble out of two dedicated Media Center systems. Then out of the blue it dropped the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime triple tuners. I did a little troubleshooting then finally figured I would have no choice other then to go through setup again. Thats when the real problems began. It couldn't download setup info and would just error out. So I flushed DNS, edited the host file with the listed IP addresses, ran “ObjectStoreRecoveryTask”, shut down and restarted all to no avail. Same error,....

I'm in NYC. When I opted to try a Brooklyn zip code I finally got past the download setup info stage with no issue. That, is progress but for some reason it won't see my SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime CableCard. I've tested it out with HDHomeRun View and it works fine. It scans channels fine via the SiliconDust setup app too. Its really odd,.....