Guide Data Running Out - Spring 2016 DST

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:16 pm

gsr wrote:
julesism wrote:Hello. I did not have to boot into safe mode, but that sounds like an easy way to get around it. I did get the locked files message. I did a normal reboot and made sure not to open anything WMC related, including extenders, after the reboot. I just checked my guide... I've got data past 5/1. The only problem I had was no guide data.
Ah, that might be my problem with changing the file. The PC is setup to automatically start WMC when it boots up. Closing WMC after it has started once might not be the same as not letting it start at all. I'll try disabling that and see where it gets me. Once I can rename or delete the file, I've got access to another WMC box that I can copy the files from (same zip code).

At this point, I really only need WMC for 1 show on a Copy Once channel (The Americans on FX, thanks FOX...) as JRiver Media Center can handle everything else I watch. But I've been letting WMC and JRiver run in parallel for a while to build up my confidence in JRiver's TV functionality and so I've got a backup in case either one fails to record something. Of course, if more channels I care about follow suit with using the Copy Once flag, my need for WMC could increase again.
google keyword sonarr

gsr

Post by gsr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Sammy2 wrote:google keyword sonarr
Yeah, I'm aware of the various bt options, but prefer to avoid them unless a recording fails. Of course, stupid things like FOX insisting that non-premium channels be flagged Copy Once encourage such behavior. :)

gsr

Post by gsr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:49 am

So I seem to be back up and running with a full feed of guide data. It turns out that the Ceton My Media Center service had a lock on the mcepgX-X.db file. So I stopped that service and was able to rename the db file and the corresponding folder. At that point, I decided to start WMC and see what happens. It essentially acted as though TV had never been setup. So I had to go through the whole process to setup my tuners and guide and then redo all my series recordings. Though redoing all the series recordings is a bit of a pain, it's worth it to be back up and running. Hopefully this will also solve the issues with WMC crashing daily, but it will take a day or so to see how that goes.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:10 am

You just did about 90% of what it takes to install EPG123.

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:06 pm

I tried the copying of the suggested mcepgX-X.db” and a directory “mcepgX-X from my one backup WMC machine that is still showing the missing OTA channels that my other 2 systems have again dropped. It produced the expected message on reboot and reloaded the epg data but the missing OTA channels still show No Data Available. Object store recovery also did not solve the problem. I am getting data on most OTA channels, and all cable channels, but missing many secondary OTA channels with number ending .2 or .3
I am also missing one OTA primary channel, 58.1, which is one of our area PBS channels. Fortunately I only regularly watch and record programs from one of the missing channels so I have been manually scheduling programs on 66.2 which is MHz Worldview in my area and carries various foreign news programs and many mystery and crime dramas from Scandinavia, Italy, Germany, Belgium, and other European countries. Loss of these channels from the guide has happened several times since the Rovi changeover, separately from the DST loss of all guide data. I am keeping backups of the data files as they may very well help if I again lose all epg data. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help. I am thinking of trying epg123, after noting down all of my scheduled series and channel reassignments.

I am on Cablevision (Optimum) in Brooklyn NY, with both SiliconDust CableCARD tuner and OTA tuner, using Windows 7.

julesism

Post by julesism » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:53 pm

If you have/are getting guide data on some channels but missing it on others (sub channels), you may need to contact Rovi and ask that they add the channel(s) to the guide listings for your area. I've had to do that in the past with zap2it and Rovi. Be sure to provide detailed and accurate info... call sign, channel number, content, alternative link to schedule (zap2it or from channel website) etc. Folks in my area get great listings because I get channel changes and missing/new channels added by using the link below. It may take a few days but it's always gets fixed.

http://www.rovicorp.com/company/contact.html

You might try editing the channel in WMC and changing the listings for the channel, browse through the list and see if it's there, just not assigned. You could also try GuideTool.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:37 pm

I am no longer receiving guide data in Atlanta, GA (Comcast). This on again off again thing is growing old. I only receive local channels these days as I've cut the cord and only receive TV because it lowers my bill by $30. I'd sign up for schedules direct but it doesn't provide me enough value at the moment.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:34 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:I am no longer receiving guide data in Atlanta, GA (Comcast). This on again off again thing is growing old. I only receive local channels these days as I've cut the cord and only receive TV because it lowers my bill by $30. I'd sign up for schedules direct but it doesn't provide me enough value at the moment.
Having guide data or not having guide data? I'm not sure how it doesn't provide value when apparently with Rovi you get nothing but with SchedulesDirect you reliably get a full guide?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:I'd sign up for schedules direct but it doesn't provide me enough value at the moment.
There is a 7 day free trial. I recommend giving SD a try before declaring it doesn't provide enough value.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Scallica wrote:
SilverRubicon wrote:I'd sign up for schedules direct but it doesn't provide me enough value at the moment.
There is a 7 day free trial. I recommend giving SD a try before declaring it doesn't provide enough value.
I already tried the 7 day trial. It was great if you need schedule data. I highly recommend it. I'm weaning myself off of TV and don't need it. When I do need TV I'll subscribe to Sling TV or Playstation Vue but broadcast TV will no longer be a monthly concern for me.

Just wanted to let folks know that Microsofts schedule problems still exist.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:59 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:I already tried the 7 day trial. It was great if you need schedule data. I highly recommend it. I'm weaning myself off of TV and don't need it. When I do need TV I'll subscribe to Sling TV or Playstation Vue but broadcast TV will no longer be a monthly concern for me.

Just wanted to let folks know that Microsofts schedule problems still exist.
Then why are you spending time posting in a forum that is strictly for WMC enthusiasts? You probably know this already but OTA is not a "monthly concern" so you could use that plus, AFAIK, Sling TV and Playstation Vue are. Additionally, there's still that Live Sports Quandary. What used to be OTA broadcast has been moved to Cable / Satellite only for the most part and isn't available an streaming devices without paying a fee to the leagues if at all.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
SilverRubicon wrote:I already tried the 7 day trial. It was great if you need schedule data. I highly recommend it. I'm weaning myself off of TV and don't need it. When I do need TV I'll subscribe to Sling TV or Playstation Vue but broadcast TV will no longer be a monthly concern for me.
???? TV hasn't been a monthly concern for me for a year now--but I still use WMC.

And while I experience no hiccups in the Rovi switchover, I have experienced both instances of guide data running out--and the idea of spending $25/year to avoid that doesn't phase me one bit. If and when the time comes, I'll switch to EPG123 and Schedules Direct. Ooooo, imagine--TV is up to two bucks a month now. Guess I'll make that Starbucks a small instead of a large today.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Sammy2 wrote: Then why are you spending time posting in a forum that is strictly for WMC enthusiasts?
Because I've been using WMC with a cable card for the last 8 years?
Sammy2 wrote:Additionally, there's still that Live Sports Quandary.
Both carry ESPN and the Fox sports channels. There is no quandry. Which is why I've ditched cable. When there are sports that I want to watch I can subscribe and cancel when I don't need it. I don't need to be be stuck with the longer term cable plans.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

STC

Post by STC » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Using EPG123 fits certain criteria for some and not others. Personally I look at the bigger picture. I equate time to money.- Having Rovi guide inconsistencies and DST outages resulted in having to spend time trying to address the problems.
25 bucks a year plus a donation to Gary is hands down money well spent and frees me up to do other things. He's even adding new features as we speak. Personally a win win.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:46 pm

STC wrote:Using EPG123 fits certain criteria for some and not others. Personally I look at the bigger picture. I equate time to money.- Having Rovi guide inconsistencies and DST outages resulted in having to spend time trying to address the problems.
25 bucks a year plus a donation to Gary is hands down money well spent and frees me up to do other things. He's even adding new features as we speak. Personally a win win.

I agree, EPG123 is fantastic. If anyone is still relying on WMC to record TV, it's highly recommended. The quality of the data surpasses that of the Rovi data.

For those of us that are no longer heavy TV users and don't need the extra cost of EPG123, I see that I only have 3 days of guide data remaining. It broke during DST, was fixed, broke, fixed again, and is now broken once again. If your reading this and your guide data is also incomplete, you're not alone.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:31 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:
Sammy2 wrote: Then why are you spending time posting in a forum that is strictly for WMC enthusiasts?
Because I've been using WMC with a cable card for the last 8 years?
Sammy2 wrote:Additionally, there's still that Live Sports Quandary.
Both carry ESPN and the Fox sports channels. There is no quandry. Which is why I've ditched cable. When there are sports that I want to watch I can subscribe and cancel when I don't need it. I don't need to be be stuck with the longer term cable plans.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
If I recall the InfiniTV 4 came out in Spring 2010 and the ATI TV Wonder, with only one tuner, came out the year before, so at most it is 7 years but that's sorta splitting hairs. I guess you are still interested and maybe not completely convinced on cutting the cord so you follow along here to keep abreast of what's going on.

I watch a lot of Soccer, and that is basically on GOLTV and sometimes on NBC Sports, neither of which I see in the SlingTV line up. I don't see any of the TWC Sports either. What I do see is that SlingTV is $20 a month and if you want to add a few more channels you're at $45 or $50 a month. That is still a "monthly concern" in my book. Charter's Spectrum Select costs $64 (including two cable cards) and has a whole lot more channels. I have Gold and it includes all the premiums and all their feeds. For HBO, I have something like 8 HD channels to pick from for example.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Sammy2 wrote: I guess you are still interested and maybe not completely convinced on cutting the cord so you follow along here to keep abreast of what's going on.
No, I'm completely convinced about cutting the cord. I only posted that I was having trouble because I use Emby within WMC and I received the '3 day guide data warning' when firing up Emby.
Sammy2 wrote:I watch a lot of Soccer, and that is basically on GOLTV and sometimes on NBC Sports, neither of which I see in the SlingTV line up. I don't see any of the TWC Sports either. What I do see is that SlingTV is $20 a month and if you want to add a few more channels you're at $45 or $50 a month. That is still a "monthly concern" in my book.
That's great. We use TV differently. What is or is not a monthly concern in your book has no bearing on me.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 am

well, to be fair the fact that $25/year stops you--to the point of you declaring it a "monthly fee" as if to somehow equate it with a cable TV bill--is, frankly, in the context of everything in the world and in this forum...weird. That you gripe about your guide data but then frame the $25/year to fix that to be unacceptable because it's the same as a "monthly TV bill" is...weird. To then tell the world that you're OK with a monthly TV payment for Sling and Playstation Vue while simultaneously telling the world that you don't want a monthly TV bill is...weird.

BTW, my Rovi data goes out through May 7 as of now.