Rovi with multiple guide listings

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
al_wilson2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Rovi with multiple guide listings

Post by al_wilson2 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Here's the scenario. I run OTA and cable, so WMC has a huge advantage here. However, I've constantly battled having my OTA listings download since the Rovi cutover. They seemed to download only once upon configuring tuners, then the OTA would stop downloading. Cable listings would still be good, but I would get "no data available" for all of my OTA channels. I was about to order TiVo this week due to this issue. But realizing that TiVo could not perform this same feature of multiple sources merged into one guide, I made a last ditch effort to salvage my WMC. I re-installed windows, ran all updates, then re-configured WMC. So far, it seems like both sources will now update guides.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue. Is this issue going to return?

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 pm

I have OTA and Dish Network. My OTA randomly stopped downloading data for the sub channels and I had to run the Objectstore Recovery Task in the Task Scheduler. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to re-configure anything. You might want to try it if you have the issue again.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 pm

I have the same problem with OTA and cable, in fact I logged in here just to see if anyone else reported it. The first time it happened I re-ran TV setup - huge pain to reconfigure all my channels and re-merge network OTAs with cable - and it worked again for a few weeks. Now OTA channels are back to "no data available" and I am ticked off. I posted to Microsoft Connect, but no response. I actually suspect the two listing files (TWC cable and OTA) are coded to different timezones, as there is a 5 or 6 hour difference in the start times (and 5 is my GMT offset in DST)

I am going to try the Objectstore Recovery tonight.

What I posed to MS connect:

I have a cable card + OTA setup (HDHomeRun Prime with Guide ID: 309241286 + 2 HDHomeRun OTAs with Guide ID: 309582105), and the OTA channels that are not present in the cable card lineup are back to "No Data".

When this first happened around a month ago, I completely re-setup my TV tuners, and picked a known working zipcode (75006). For about a month everything worked great. Last week it stopped working again and OTA-only channels are back to "No Data". As I have another PC at the office with OTA only and the exact same guide ID 309582105 that shows these OTA-only channels fine, I know it is not the guide ID itself.

One thing I notice in the About Guide Data setup screen is that the cable card line-up ID 309241286 shows at the top: "Guide End Date: 02/18/2016 6:00:00 AM" and then again lower "End Date: 2/18/2016 06:00:00 AM" - so they match. The OTA ID 309582105, on the other hand, shows at the top: "Guide End Date: 2/18/2016 6:00:00 AM", but then lower "End Date: 2/18/2016 12:00:00 AM", so they are 6 hours off (and my home timezone is central and hence -6 GMT).

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:02 pm

I did try the objectstore recevory back in the fall. It ended up wiping everything out, including my series settings. In the end, it was only a temporary fix, and the issue returned. I will monitor my current guide and report back in a few weeks if the issue returned. I think it will be fine, though. I did notice that OTA channels were about 2 days short of data compared to my cable. I ran the update guide listings, and both OTA and cable then had the same number of days of listings. That's why I think a complete re-install fixed it.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 pm

Is it safe to assume that the OTA listing is the same as the same station's cable listing?

If so, can you just Edit Channel/Edit listing and associate the the OTA channel with its identical cable channel listing?

Guidetool should make it an easier process.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:40 am

dmagerl wrote:Is it safe to assume that the OTA listing is the same as the same station's cable listing?

If so, can you just Edit Channel/Edit listing and associate the the OTA channel with its identical cable channel listing?

That sounds like a great solution if it comes back for me. It's interesting that my run of objectstore recovery didn't do anything other than trigger a new guide download. Not sure why it would work differently for different setups.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:08 pm

dmagerl wrote:Is it safe to assume that the OTA listing is the same as the same station's cable listing?

Works when the cable company carries the same channel as OTA, but I have around 10 OTA only channels...

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:31 pm

dkrom wrote:I have OTA and Dish Network. My OTA randomly stopped downloading data for the sub channels and I had to run the Objectstore Recovery Task in the Task Scheduler. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to re-configure anything. You might want to try it if you have the issue again.

Me too! I was skeptical, but everything looks right again. Try Objectstore Recovery Task in the Task Scheduler before you try more radical methods....

Space

Post by Space » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Be aware that running ObjectStoreRecoveryTask will cause the episode recording history for each of your Series to be cleared (only important if you use "New + Rerun"). It will also remove the "bookmarks" for all shows (meaning playing any show will start at the beginning). All of your Series should continue to work, however I have had some instances where they did not (in one, the series name had changed since I had first set it up, so I had to delete and recreate the Series). Another side effect is that your previously recorded episodes will no longer be "attached" to the Series, meaning they will not have "Series info", "cancel series", etc. options, but any newly recorded episode should be fine.

Most of these things are minor, but it is always good to know the side effects of doing something before you do it.

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:17 am

My issue returned. I have no listings for my OTA subchannels. A switch to TiVo is sounding more attractive.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:27 am

I played this type of game several years ago, trying to use both cableCARD tuner and clear QAM tuner.

The trouble was, the clear QAM frequencies would periodically change--requiring an entire setup all over again, including not only merging the channels I did get with the cableCARD channels, but turning off the encrypted channels.

A couple cycles of that and I dumped the clear QAM tuner.

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:29 am

I dumped clear QAM when I reinstalled windows last. I changed my clear QAM to an OTA. I would really like to get my sub-channel listings back.

CFC

Post by CFC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:14 pm

I also run into this issue, where my cablecard channels have updated listings as expected, but the OTA sub-channels do not.
I can run the "objectstorerecovery" to get them back.
What I noticed though, is that after that the OTA sub-channels do get the automatic/daily guide updates as expected. However, if I were ever to do a manual guide update, this breaks it and subsequent automatic/daily guide updates no longer pull down those channels.
Don't know whether this is the case for anyone else, but that is what I've observed on my end.

CFC

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Issue came up again. I have no data for my sub-channels, or any channel that is pulling data from the OTA listings. I've had enough, and just ordered the Tivo 1TB OTA Roamio with no service fees. I'll go without cable and back to the antenna only for now.