UK EPG NEW: Prefix

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
mik194

HTPC Specs: Show details

UK EPG NEW: Prefix

Post by mik194 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am

On the UK program guide over the past few months (Win 7 Media Centre) a number of program names have appeared with the prefix "NEW:" before the program name, i.e. "NEW: Program Name". This causes a number of issues:
1. There is no consistency, for example ITV's Jericho was appearing as just "Jericho" until last night (18 Feb 16) when it suddenly appeared as "NEW: Jericho" despite this being the 7th of 8 episodes. This caused last nights episode to not be recorded as part of the series record setting.
2. Any previously saved series record settings don't automatically work as the name has changed.
2. When viewing recorded tv (sorted alphabetically) you have to look in 2 places for programs as half of them appear as NEW: xxx, taking the previous example Jericho appears as both Jericho and NEW: Jericho.

Are there any plans to drop the NEW prefix as I don't think it really works?

Alternately is there any script or other workaround on the client to update and remove the NEW: prefix from program names after the EPG has been downloaded?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 pm

I think that the ota epg for Freeview may have the "new:" prefix

I haven't seen it lately via the MS downloaded epg - did the last guide update succeed, or could you be seeing ota data?

How many days into the future have guide data for itv?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 pm

I've just got the latest guide listings from within Media center and Jericho for next week (25th Feb) in my dvb-s guide is just called 'Jericho'

I have been tinkering with EPG Collector and noticed when I tried that to get a guide for a test channel that their listings came up with this annoying 'New' prefix to the programme. Are you using EPG Collector??

mik194

Post by mik194 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi, thanks for your help, I am new to EPG topics so have been trying to read up.

I've spent some time making sure my Media Center PC has all the critical and optional updates installed.

My guide listings for a number of channels including ITV (Meridian) and Chanel 4 are 14 days into the future, all other channels including BBC One South are 7 days into the future.

I am not using EPG Collector as far as I know, its a standard Windows 7 Ultimate install with "My Movies" added.

Jericho is without the NEW: prefix on mine for the 25th but other programs do have it, it would appear Channel 5 particularly likes this New: prefix in its guide!

hope this info may help?