Channel guide is slow on initial access

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
redmed

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channel guide is slow on initial access

Post by redmed » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:47 am

When I get new guide data and the first time I access the guide it takes a long time. After the accessing the guide the first time things speedup considerably. My guess is that the Rovi data is not formatted as the old guide data was. If this is true, it would be nice if someone made a utility to reformat the Rovi data. Is there such a program/utility? Or can someone point me in the right direction?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:22 pm

How many channels do you have?

Are you OTA or CableCard?

Couple ways I know to speed things up a little are:

1) Trim your channels from 700 to 150. They are mostly duplicates and triplicates anyway. Guide Tool for 5 bucks works really well.
2) Get rid of the Rovi "Art" by editing your Hosts file.

I haven't had to resort to edit the registry, but there are a few hacks out there.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I have a similar problem, only it doesn't seem to be triggered after downloading new guide data. It just seems to happen "randomly".

Usually after it happens (waiting 1-2 minutes for the guide to come up, disk activity to stop, and the system to be responsive again) it does not happen again for a while. It may be related to downloading new guide data, but it does not necessarily happen immediately after downloading a new guide. Also, if I have the problem, then don't have it for a while, I may have it again even before the system downloads new guide data again (ie: like maybe 1-2 hours after experiencing the issue, it happens again with no intervening guide download).

It did not happen when I first converted to Rovi; I am not sure of the exact time-frame but it was many months afterwards when I first saw the problem, and there have not been that many extra channels (if any) added to the guide since then. Even when the thumbnail pictures were much larger (before Microsoft/Rovi reduced their size) I was having no problems with this.

I was also wondering if maybe it was the hard drive I was using, since it is notorious for being a drive with a high failure rate (Seagate 3TB). I have some issues with this drive when doing commercial detection of multiple simultaneous shows (3) and also watching another show (it causes the video playback to stutter). I don't seem to have this problem when the same activity is happening on another drive (which is 5900 RPM vs. the 3TB at 7200 RPM).
But if others are having this same issue (and are using a different brand drive) then maybe it has nothing to do with the hard drive.

I just now forced a manual guide update and then brought up the guide and it came right up with no delay. I don't know what triggers the problem, but I suspect it will happen sometime later today.

Note that a similar problem has been reported in the past: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9227

redmed

Post by redmed » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:35 pm

Crash2009 wrote:How many channels do you have?

Are you OTA or CableCard?

Couple ways I know to speed things up a little are:

1) Trim your channels from 700 to 150. They are mostly duplicates and triplicates anyway. Guide Tool for 5 bucks works really well.
2) Get rid of the Rovi "Art" by editing your Hosts file.

I haven't had to resort to edit the registry, but there are a few hacks out there.
I have only 89 OTA channels. I have minimized my channels to keep from shows being recorded on weak channels. I have two different antennas connected pointing in different directions via Silicondust tuners. I had thought this might be a common problem but it appears it might be a problem with my hardware.