Guide stopped listing HD channels

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
cuafpr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cuafpr » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:47 pm

that's awesome NoogMan! I figure getting the complaint/request to right person is gonna be half the battle...

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:50 am

I typically don't like to get "friends" involved in things regarding companies they work for, but after my conversation with comporium Thursday evening, and again on Friday, I knew we were going to need to find someone that deals with these "specialized" issues. My contact has forwarded this thread and other detailed information to the person in charge of dealing the guide, etc. Hope to hear something tomorrow. Never realized how bad SD channels look on a big screen!

CaptnDanLKW

Post by CaptnDanLKW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Called Comporium this morning and spoke with Jason. Nice guy familiar with this issues - he spoke with someone else about this issue as well, probably one of you.

In short, he says they have NOT truncated the guide listing that the Guide Providers pull from and that the problem must be with Rovi's ingestion and processing of the guide data. He recommends we keep hammering away at Rovi to correct it. I'm not sure how to contact Rovi to submit an issue but when Microsoft switched from zap2it to Rovi they set up a feedback site to report bad data - http://connect.microsoft.com/site1145

I have already submitted a request but we all should do the same.

I re-checked zap2it this morning and they are still correct. I also asked Jason about why my STB, the Cisco 8642HDC has the correct lineup since it's 'powered by Rovi'. The last STB firmware update added the Rovi splash screen at bootup but he says their STBs use 'Tribune' for their guide listings, not Rovi.

So, let see if we can get Rovi to resolve quickly. In the mean time I'll keep hacking away a Kodi and NextPVR.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:43 pm

I haven't spoken to them yet...an engineer is supposed to call me shortly. I'm guessing it may be Jason who calls. Sounds like it's gonna be OUR....wait, I'll keep my mouth shut til I hear them out. I'll let you know how our conversation goes.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:56 pm

I did submit a feedback report.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:51 pm

I am sure you will get better results contacting Rovi than you will contacting Microsoft. Microsoft seems to have abandoned us.

Here are a few ways to contact Rovi about this issue:

According to Rovi's Twitter, report missing channels here:
http://www.rovicorp.com/company/contact.html

Email:
ipgcustomersupport@rovicorp.com

Phone:
1-800-725-1233

CaptnDanLKW

Post by CaptnDanLKW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

I submitted the following to the Rovi web-form.
Notice of significant issues with EPG/IPG listing for Comporium Communications. Area Codes 29745, 29710 and 29708 for example, though there are others.

About 5 days ago, all IPG listings where ROVI is the provider, such as MSN, tvguide.com and Microsoft's Windows Media Center, over 200 Channels have disappeared.

Channels 425-474 all Missing - Music Channels
Channels 1104-1572 all Missing - HD Channels
Channel 228, a new SD channel is missing

This has killed the usage of my Windows Media Center & Cable Card installation.

I have contacted my Provider and they have verified they have NOT removed these listings from their EPG/IPG source data.

Additionally, other IPG/EPG providers, like Zap2It and Tribune do NOT have this problem.

I am reporting this in hopes you can acknowledge the issue and fix. I realize my Cable provider is a small company and there are not that many cable card subscribers but this has completely ruined our television capabilities because your guide data is required to even TUNE to the station, not just the listing contents.

Your assistance and speedy resolution is greatly appreciated.
Lets see what happens, will keep you posted.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 pm

I have mine fixed temporarily.............it's a miracle!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=9702

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:17 am

From Rovi:

Case 2039277
Subject: "WMC guide not showing HD channels"

Your email has been forwarded to the appropriate work group. All requests will be handled within 5 business days unless you are notified otherwise.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:20 am

I have a case number from last week....no change. Spoke to someone at comporium today that knows what's up, and will fight to get it fixed, but who knows how long.

In the meantime, I have my HD channels working, you can easily do it if during the live TV setup you click NO to NOT agree to their guide and let it complete the scan process. Your cablecards have the ability to tune as long as you have the channel number in the guide. The scan process after choosing NO will take a while (10-15 minutes). Then you'll show a channel range of 1-10004. Simply jump to 1104 or whatever and you'll have HD again. I have since implemented the new EPG123 with a free trial at schedules direct and I have everything back like it was, but it took some work that I shouldn't have to do.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Got an email from my contact inside comporium this morning:

""Hi Craig,

I finally got someone at Rovi this morning. It wasn’t the correct group but they gave me an email address to send the changes to. They requested I forward a current channel lineup with all of our zip codes served. I’ve sent that email and awaiting a response. As soon as I hear something from them I’ll let you know. In the email I asked how long it will take for the changes to get published and will let you know as soon as I hear back.""

CaptnDanLKW

Post by CaptnDanLKW » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:24 pm

I received an automated email from Rovi confirming they got my web request but no other emails, and no mention of a case #.

I'll try to email this time, with the the same information.

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:19 pm

just a quick FYI got an email from Rovi saying this should be fixed but it will take 48-72hrs before the guide shows correctly.

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:59 pm

My person at comporium on the inside got personal emails from two of his contacts at Rovi......it HAS been updated, and may take up to 72 hours to propagate through Microsux. if anyone notices the change before I do on msn.com, let us all know!

Craig

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:19 am

just did a download and nothing yet, i know its soon but was hoping lol

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:42 am

Yeah, I figure once msn.com listings have it updated, we'll be good to go

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm

msn.com shows listings up to channel 1325, so looks like it's been updated. Should be another day before WMC gets it (or perhaps if you're lucky it will be in today's update that happened already).

NoogMan

Post by NoogMan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:09 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings ... C%2C+29720 shows up through 1572. It'll probably get them all if MSN has it. Our DNS's update later than what they have, so it should be good to go! I'll test tonight!

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:17 pm

NoogMan wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings ... C%2C+29720 shows up through 1572. It'll probably get them all if MSN has it. Our DNS's update later than what they have, so it should be good to go! I'll test tonight!
Yeah, looks like it is 1572 now, was only up to 1325 when I looked at it. They must have been in the middle of updating it or something. Since the WMC daily updates seem to come at around 8am ET every day, I doubt this has made it in to today's WMC update, but it may have.

CaptnDanLKW

Post by CaptnDanLKW » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:27 pm

We're almost there. WMC now has all the Channels listed but most still say No Data available but I'm hoping that will resolve itself soon too.

I have a HDHomeRun Prime and a HDHomeRun 2x ClearQAM tuner - the QAM detection works differently and the station call signs have always been different, so after a re-configure I have to use a tool like GuideTool to merge and adjust tuner priorities . Hope I'll never have to do this again.

Since I've had to do this so many time's I've become familiar with the station call signs, and I can see that some have changed - for example 1104 Used to be WSOCTV-HD Now Its WSOC30 1110 used to be WAXN-HD now its WAXN36. Just thought I'd point this out.

I also received an email from Rovi regarding my case and they say it's been fixed and should finish propagating over 24-48 hours.

Based on the wording of the email and the comments here, are we SURE it was just a Rovi issue, or did Comporium need to fix something as well?

Thanks for everyone pitching in to help! Almost home.
Dan