Saturday 9/26 College Game Day

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Saturday 9/26 College Game Day

Post by mldenison » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:06 pm

It appears that most college games today are shown as 'Teams to be announced'. Using the Internet, I've found the times and channels for the games I watch. It takes a very long time to mark the channel to record since every other channel with 'Teams to be announce' is being flagged as marked with a '!' as being recorded at another time. Really guys? This is a pretty big screw up for those of us that watch college football games. I'm on Comcast, zip 17402.

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:43 pm

Doesn't seem to be a problem here in Comcast Atlanta area. Try updating your guide data.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:09 pm

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 154#p97154
Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:
paulsaz@gmail.com wrote:Friday night and my guide for Saturday college football is mostly still showing teams to be announced. The Cox cable box is listing all of the correct teams for tomorrow. I hope Rovi and MS get this fixed.
yes. And it's worse than you could ever imagined. Only one single (local) Channel is correct and all else in EPG say "Teams to be announced". And as significant is that if you do manage to record, a "College Football" listing, the EPG locks-up just like when this whole EPG cut-over fiasco started; plus in addition once one "College Football" listing is recording, all other ones (hundreds in the EPG) all say, "Another airing is currently being recorded". Someone has really "dropped the EPG College Football ball". It is the epitome of stupidity to do it with College Football. Give me a break ppl.

Is there another option, pplz, anyone, to the current WMC EPG?

WMC is broken as a result of all "College Football" listings saying, "Teams to be announced" in the WMC EPG. And 99% of the reason I installed WMC extenders in the house is for College Football. :(

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Updating the guide did not work. I had to pull the three scheduled recordings which took about 10 minutes as WMC had slowed to a crawl. Everything minus recording football is back to normal. Maintaining the guide must be a part time job consisting of two adolescents. This was never a problem with the previous guide.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:02 pm

mldenison wrote:Updating the guide did not work. I had to pull the three scheduled recordings which took about 10 minutes as WMC had slowed to a crawl. Everything minus recording football is back to normal. Maintaining the guide must be a part time job consisting of two adolescents. This was never a problem with the previous guide.
And it was a little better last week. I figured it would improve with by this week, but no, it IS worse than anything imaginable! :(

only thing i'm glad about is that u started this thread, mldenison. ;)

chrissmith5

Post by chrissmith5 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:52 pm

The same thing in St Pete FL. Games to be announced everywhere. Get Latest listings is worthless if there is no info to pull apparently. Microsoft and Rovi need to make sure things work before they force all customers to new services. Old guide was amazing for 10 years, new guide is broken from the start and not getting any better.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:43 pm

chrissmith5 wrote:The same thing in St Pete FL. Games to be announced everywhere. Get Latest listings is worthless if there is no info to pull apparently. Microsoft and Rovi need to make sure things work before they force all customers to new services. Old guide was amazing for 10 years, new guide is broken from the start and not getting any better.

Only way to go about it for now is: (Being very patient as the EPG is bogging down... )

1. All other functioning other than College Football is cool before you mess with College Football Listings. :)
2. Don't watch College Football Live instead Record it. (It can play while still recording.) :(
3. Don't attempt to configure Recording Settings for a College Football listing. Instead record several of the shows following the a College Football listing. Be careful and avoid viewing (EPG) generated Thumbnails that could give away the results of a game. :(
4. And go ahead and remove all Series you have scheduled; that will just maybe help the EPG get less bogged down. (Remember to manually record Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night NFL if you like them.) :(
5. Somebody can start a "Saturday 10/03 College Game Day" thread next week. (Post link to it from this Thread so ppl know. If two ppl do then one can agree to delete theirs.):)
6. Hope that this week is the worst EPG will be this season for College Football and that each week from now on gets gradually better or perfect as quick as this Thursday. :)
7. Wait. Just realized.. What about Recording a listing (like especially one that is only thirty minuet long) that precedes a College Game? And telling that Listing to not Stop until Three hours after usual? It could pay-off in that at least the EPG would maybe not bog-down. Nope. Just tested and anything before a College Game is just as screwed-up. So the time might as well be applied to Recording an actual College Game. In fact it has been several minuets and the EPG is still locked up after trying to Record a TV listing just before a College Game... ...[minuets later] still locked up and going to have to force close and re-open WMC. (Had to Log-off and Back on to close WMC.) :(
8. Once a game or two is recording, avoid opening the Guide and instead play one of the Recordings. You can Open Recordings np. Just the Guide bogs down to a crawl. At least WMC will recover and continue to Record so that is good. :(

MickeS

Post by MickeS » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:08 am

Came here to register to complain about the exact same thing. Every single college football game today is with teams listed as TBA, and I updated the listings and it did nothing.

I'm sick and tired of these Rovi listings. I've submitted several error reports (wrong channels), and nothing has been done. This is so frustrating.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:37 am

MickeS wrote:Came here to register to complain about the exact same thing. Every single college football game today is with teams listed as TBA, and I updated the listings and it did nothing.

I'm sick and tired of these Rovi listings. I've submitted several error reports (wrong channels), and nothing has been done. This is so frustrating.
i'm guessing that College Football listings last Thursday and Friday [Edit: on ESPN] also said "Teams TBA". So because this coming Thursday already says [Edit: on ESPN], "Miami Fl @Cincinnati"; hopefully it's a good sign and next Saturday all College Football games will be updated. :)

Oh, and at least it was possible to record four games and playback a fifth one all day today. :) It was just so inconvenient having to wait for several minuets each step of manually Recording each game. :(

MickeS

Post by MickeS » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:19 am

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:
MickeS wrote:Came here to register to complain about the exact same thing. Every single college football game today is with teams listed as TBA, and I updated the listings and it did nothing.

i'm guessing that College Football listings last Thursday and Friday [Edit: on ESPN] also said "Teams TBA". So because this coming Thursday already says [Edit: on ESPN], "Miami Fl @Cincinnati"; hopefully it's a good sign and next Saturday all College Football games will be updated. :)

Oh, and at least it was possible to record four games and playback a fifth one all day today. :) It was just so inconvenient having to wait for several minuets each step of manually Recording each game. :(
Let's hope.
I noticed that the listings on http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings , which as I understand it are from the same source (I know they have the same channel errors as my WMC listings do at least) had the games listed properly. So I don't know why the WMC listings didn't have that same data.

troydj

Post by troydj » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:09 am

I've also been noticing the same problems here with Comcast in a suburb of Minneapolis (55379). I have a Windows 7 HTPC with two Silicon Dust HDHomeRuns, each with a cable card, which gives me up to 6 tuners (just activated the 2nd cable card today, coincidentally, as I was budgeting some time to working on this today). I've been observing the problems with college football games showing "Teams to be announced" today and for the last week or two, and it's also been happening with NFL games on certain channels. For instance, tomorrow's (9/27/2015) NFL games on 804 (CBS) show correct info with teams, but the game on FOX/KMSPH (809) at 3pm central, shows "NFL Football" with "Teams to be announced."

After enabling the second cable card today and installing TunerSalad (to extend support for more than 4 tuners), I went through the tuner setup and the motions of downloading the guide. After noticing the guide data was still incorrect, I thought maybe manually running "mcupdate -uf -pscn0 -dbgc" would do the trick. That took over a half hour to complete, and the guide data was still wrong. The interesting thing is that I have a friend who's in the same city with the same cable provider with Ceton tuners, and he's not seeing the "Teams to be announced" on the channels that I am. The other potentially significant difference between his setup and mine is that his Windows update is disabled, whereas mine is not.

One other note is that during the guide updates (mcupdate), the MCUpdate entries in the Event Viewer show "Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)" This appears to occur regardless of whether the "Download Guide Data" operation shows success or failure via the WMC GUI.

Based on the posts I've read thus far (and I apologize if I missed something), nobody seems to have successfully solved or worked around the "Teams to be announced" problem yet. Is that correct?

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:45 am

My NFL games for 2marro seem ok. none say Teams TBA.

MickeS

Post by MickeS » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:05 am

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:My NFL games for 2marro seem ok. none say Teams TBA.
All mine still say TBA. And they did last week as well.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:12 am

MickeS wrote:
Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:My NFL games for 2marro seem ok. none say Teams TBA.
All mine still say TBA. And they did last week as well.
i just recalled that last week my EPG NFL games had descriptions, but all except for the local home town team, were incorrect. So i won't know if they are correct, until 2marro.

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:51 am

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Is there anything we can do other than posting complaints? All the games on Saturday are still listed as Teams TBA.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 am

BilldozerVT wrote:Glad to see I'm not the only one. Is there anything we can do other than posting complaints? All the games on Saturday are still listed as Teams TBA.
if they were fixed this week, the change would show Tuesday?

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:42 am

Just updated my guide today. Still nothing :(

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:22 pm

Just to follow up, one of my other computers showed no guide data yesterday. I manually got the latest guide listings and once it updated I scrolled ahead to Saturday and all the correct team names were listed for each college football game.

I went to my main computer that handles all the recordings and got the latest listings but it still showed all games as Teams TBA. I thought maybe I somehow needed to flush out my guide or something so I went ahead and reran the tuner setup. After finishing that I checked and still all games show Team TBA.

Anyone know of a way to wipe out your guide info so you can redownload it again. I am guessing just rerunning the tuner setup didn't get rid of the older guide data.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:21 pm

BilldozerVT wrote:Just to follow up, one of my other computers showed no guide data yesterday. I manually got the latest guide listings and once it updated I scrolled ahead to Saturday and all the correct team names were listed for each college football game.

I went to my main computer that handles all the recordings and got the latest listings but it still showed all games as Teams TBA. I thought maybe I somehow needed to flush out my guide or something so I went ahead and reran the tuner setup. After finishing that I checked and still all games show Team TBA.

Anyone know of a way to wipe out your guide info so you can redownload it again. I am guessing just rerunning the tuner setup didn't get rid of the older guide data.
the following B section maybe... not sure of the "...AND ASSIGNMENT" but "CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD..." sounds right. i may try Section B too:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5#p93138
dukeynstewie wrote:Just wanted to share what worked for me step by step:

Make sure to close WMC

A-) Modify Host File

- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories.
-Right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
-Click Continue on the Windows needs your permission UAC window.
-When Notepad opens, click File > Open.
-In the File name field, type C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
-Click Open.
-Replace the IP address at the bottom of file with:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
-Click File > Save to save your changes.

B-) CLEAN GUIDE DOWNLOAD AND ASSIGNMENT (By Wyldwof):

-Close WMC
-Open Task Scheduler - Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools, Schedule Tasks
-In the left tree expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Media Center
-In the right pane under name, right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, and click Run (let it run for 2 mins)
-Close Task Scheduler

C-DNS FLUSH

-Click Start.
-Select Programs.
-Select Accessories and locate the Command Prompt shortcut.
-Right click the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu.
-Type ipconfig /release in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
-Type ipconfig /renew in the command prompt.
-Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
-Type ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt.
-Close the command prompt and reboot computer

Last step is to run "Set Up TV Signal" from the WMC settings menu. After running the set up it should take 3-5 mins for the guide to update. Hope it helps.

EDIT 1:

Just did the ^^ "B" section and it worked. :D Updated EPG and only three College Football listings say TBA. :D

I did it especially because "http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings" showed only three College Football TBA for my area. only three games were TBA and I'm sure they will be updated by Saturday. :D

:D

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Worked for me, too! Thanks for the info.

It appears - to me - that MS is trying to make WMC go away with no available replacement with their lousy Guide support. What with the Ceton Echo discontinued, probably followed by the Ceton ETH. Wish I'd bought a spare Echo now.