UK EPG Licence Expiring

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by technodevotee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I suspect that most of the people who were likely to have created a new case have given up and switched to another mechanism.

An now that Microsoft have broken the answers.microsoft website with their recent "improvements" no-one can see the comments I've been adding their either.

It does seem to be a Pan-European problem as not only have I had nothing for UK channels since the 14th, I've had nothing for ASTRA I or Hotbird so the German, French, Polish, Spanish, Dutch (to name a few) channels are affected as well.

There again, it seems like some people in north America and doing much better either.

I despair.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:44 am

At least answers.microsoft.com is working properly again now.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:22 pm

I've been following the progress of EPG123 with great interest and it looks very interesting but I haven't switched to it because I have three satellites set up on my system and don't want to delete my existing configuration because I have invested too much time getting it how I want it.

I also think implementing it would be pretty difficult in my situation.

But I have been running epgcollector alongside the MS/BDS downloader to selectively populate the guide on ASTRA II (28.2e) channels that didn't have any data for a while now.

Since the MS/BDS data stopped flowing here in Europe on the 14th July, I recently switched the remaining channels to using the epgc data as well but my non-keyword series scheduled recordings are no longer valid of course and I was starting to think about the nightmare of recreating them when, under the thread about retaining scheduled series recordings when switching to EPG123, I came across this:
William the Pleaser wrote:I put together a little script to generate click-to-record files from the schedule backup: https://superuser.com/questions/1226882 ... ide-to-epg

Not a perfect solution by any means, but saved me a few hours of typing.
So I thought I'd have a go at using the script to convert my defunct non-keyword series schedule entries into keyword schedule entries.

What I did was this:
found and opened a suitable backup file
selectively created new keyword schedule entries
edited the newly created keyword schedule entries if required
deleted the old non-keyword series schedule entries if one existed

It worked like a charm on most of them with just a few edits required and saved me a LOT of typing so my thanks go to "William the Pleaser".

I should, perhaps, point out that I have a script that creates a unique snapshot of my ehome and epgcollector folders before running the epgc download process.