UK EPG Licence Expiring

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
nasman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by nasman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:43 pm

The GUIDE is Back - at least for London - showing listings until 16/11/2016

roswellgrey

Post by roswellgrey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 pm

... and as of now (07 Nov) it is stil showing expiry date of the 16th ...
Another one-off update, maybe ?

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:50 pm

roswellgrey wrote:... and as of now (07 Nov) it is stil showing expiry date of the 16th ...
Another one-off update, maybe ?
Thanks for letting us know, I can confirm this as mine is also expiring on the 16th. :x

For what it's worth I have opened a new connect report at https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3110787

As usual people should add their votes to this in the forlorn hope Microsoft are paying any attention.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:24 pm

WOOHOO.

All of mine (satellite 13e, 19.2e, 28.2e and terrestrial Sutton Coldfield) are showing an end date of 10/12/2016.

It would be REALLY great if we get some more data to take us over XMAS & New Year - instead of a repeat of last year.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:52 am

Crap.

The EPG seems to have died yet again. Current end date is Christmas Eve.

aleclindsay

Post by aleclindsay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm

24th December end of data for us too, on Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:22 pm

aleclindsay wrote:24th December end of data for us too, on Sutton Coldfield transmitter.
If your interested I created yet another Microsoft Connect ticket here - https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3116590

Microsoft = :thumbdown:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:00 am

I make that the tenth service outage this year. Microsoft have really excelled in their incomptenance this year!

That is a really bad time for it to go down. If they don't fix it next week it is going to be out for the whole holiday period. Merry Christmas from Microsoft.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

njc

Post by njc » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Following Jon Fincher's advice from last time we had an outage, I've raised this here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 84c228368e

and Barb has already responded to me, raised it with MS and had a response that it's with the right team.

Hopefully this is a more effective way of fixing these things than we have had previously.

JonFincher

Post by JonFincher » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi guys:

I got a few reports of this last week, and reported it to the team. As of this morning, I'm advised it's been addressed, and you should have a full 14 set of data coming within a day or so (as soon as the fix trickles through the servers). Keep me posted if this is not the case, please - as the week goes on, it will be more difficult to get people engaged.

--Jon, MSFT

dhallam

Post by dhallam » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 pm

nasman wrote:I have used Media Center since the very beginning (well from 2005) and have upgraded my server with better TV receivers etc as I have gone along.

Over the last year - I have run out of steam and can longer justify the amount of time I have spent this year trying to get TV to work especially the EPG. When I first started using Media Center, the big draw for me was being able to record live TV and watch recorded TV in separate rooms using extenders.

Over these 12 years - I can honestly say that I have had some good years of uninterrupted TV service and have had little server maintenance to do.(I practice preventative maintenace and upgrades) - Having 4 DVB-S tuners in my media center sine 2010 was awesome.

I know there is an end of life for Media Center (2020) AND I applaud the community for its efforts to keep this alive (EPG123) - but I'm done...

I tried EPG123 but couldn't get the epg data to map to my channels successfully using Freesat and Free to Air on SKy. (Again this was probably because I gave up a little early as I had spent too much time tinkering previous to my EPG123 install..)

I use EMBY for movies and I swear by it, I also played with LIVE TV using HDHomeConnect - but found it limited as it DVB-T.

So - I'm going to take a One year holiday from Media Center and wait for technology to catch up. To this end I have bit the bullet and ordered SKY Q multiroom.....

When I looked back to rationalize why I was such a die hard Media Center fan - I realized that part of it was that I was a home cinema enthusiast.. BUT the reality was that all I really wanted to do was record my favourite TV programmes and series and then watch them at a time and location of my choosing...

Now I understand that paying for SKY tv is not for everyone - but I can afford to pay for this and look at it as more of renting TV recording equipment over a period of time.

I'll still run Emby on Media Center and keep my photos on Media Center -I use Harmony remotes and Chromecast as well so switching from SKY Q and to Emby on Media Center is not a problem.

So that's me - I got beaten by an EPG.. BUT sometimes in life you have to accept that you are beaten and move on. I hope this helps others rationalise where they stand and I feel each and everyones pain.

TV viewing has moved on - Media Center was ahead of its time - but maybe time has caught up.
Dont give in, i moved from wmc last year to kodi installs on 3 htpcs all over the house and feel you pain about shared tv and epg

But i have mine perfect now.... i like yourself run all my films series via emby server with the kodi addon (perfect)
And i invested in a vbox tv gateway that streams all freeview and hd tv freeview (a few chanels at least) to all htpc units via the kodi addon and its flawless.

Im even running kodi 17 now and its getting better and better but the vbox and tv is perfect. and you can use OTA guide (ok) or you can use an external xml file from a paid/or free service if you want flawless EPG.

their is still hope and its in kodi/emby server + vbox tv gateway :-)

njc

Post by njc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 am

JonFincherMSFT wrote:Hi guys:

I got a few reports of this last week, and reported it to the team. As of this morning, I'm advised it's been addressed, and you should have a full 14 set of data coming within a day or so (as soon as the fix trickles through the servers). Keep me posted if this is not the case, please - as the week goes on, it will be more difficult to get people engaged.

--Jon, MSFT
It's back (or at least it is for me), thanks for your help.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:02 am

The UK guide only seemed to update for a couple of days at most. Currently shows it will run out on Jan 2nd. At least Jon of Microsoft managed to get us data to cover the holiday period.

While I appreciate the apparent effort Jon has put in on multiple occasions surely he should be getting whatever re-ocurring problem there is FIXED.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:38 pm

jelockwood wrote:The UK guide only seemed to update for a couple of days at most. Currently shows it will run out on Jan 2nd. At least Jon of Microsoft managed to get us data to cover the holiday period.

While I appreciate the apparent effort Jon has put in on multiple occasions surely he should be getting whatever re-ocurring problem there is FIXED.
Attachments
trump-tweet2.png
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:53 am

The MS EPG has failed every year at New Year for as long as I can remember. It would be more surprising if it had broken with the tradition.

For once Trump is talking sense. ;)
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 am

In case anyone is interested, I've just about given up on Microsoft's ability to provide us with UK guide listings and have been using epg collector since the last time it stopped working.

On my Living Room PC (two DVB-S2 cards each with three satellites configured) Media Center is still using the BDS listings on Hotbird 13 and Astra 19.2 but I have remapped the channels to use the listings obtained by epg collector on Astra 28.2.

It has been pretty good so far.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 am

For what it's worth the Microsoft EPG did come back to life this week.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Yes. It has. The question is - for how long? WAF is currently at an all-time low.

Doesn't matter that it isn't my fault or that I've spent countless hours trying to improve things.

We miss programs and I take the heat.

Life is so unfair. sob. sob.

jelockwood

Post by jelockwood » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:10 am

It looks like the EPG has failed yet again. It is currently showing an expiry date of 25th of Jan which is only 10 days of data.

I have opened a Microsoft Connect report here - https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3118797

I have also opened a different Microsoft Connect ticket to report a huge list of Freeview EPG errors, see https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3118796 this covers missing channels, channels listed but having no data at all, channels ending too early and channels with old out of date channel numbers. I am sure there are even more issues than I have listed. Apparently it takes a while before the attachment is visible so you may not see it yet. Is there a way to attach a file here?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

I have added a few items to your post about guide issues