Anyone getting incorrect new/repeat guide listings?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone getting incorrect new/repeat guide listings?

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 am

I am finding that my prime time network/cable line up shows are not recording correctly, and looking at the upcoming shows, I have at least 5-7 per week that show the wrong "original air date", causing them to flag as reruns and not be recorded. Anyone else experiencing this? I practically have to recheck every days guide listings to ensure a series episode doesn't get missed.

Paul

Space

Post by Space » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 am

This is normal for the standard guide data. Rovi/TiVo is very bad with getting correct OAD for episodes and there are no signs that they are trying to correct this problem. This is why I recommend using "New & Rerun" settings for all Series records for shows where you want to make sure you get all the new episodes.

Gracenote/Schedules Direct (EPG123) has much better OAD's in their data, so I don't know why Rovi/TiVo has such a problem with it other than just not having the ability to change the OAD once it is initially established. It seems that this happens when a show is originally scheduled for one OAD, and then it later changes. Rovi/TiVo is unable to handle this.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 pm

well, suddenly my EPG123 thinks that some reruns are new. And with one show it had an original air date that was a week or so into the future.

See? Things happen no matter what side of the fence you're on.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 pm

All my issues started around the olympics...and the original air dates and such show during that time for new shows showing as reruns now and in the near future.

Paul

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 am

adam1991 wrote:well, suddenly my EPG123 thinks that some reruns are new. And with one show it had an original air date that was a week or so into the future.

Could you give an example of which series/episode you are talking about. I'm pretty sure this is not a data problem, but due to one of the following:

1) WMC considers anything with an OAD within 7 days as new. Example would be the upcoming premiere of 'For the People" on 3/13. It of course would be flagged as new. The re-showing of the premiere on 3/17 will also be flagged as new by WMC because the OAD will only have been 4 days in the past.

2) The episode being shown is a repeat but the guide information is generic. In this case, WMC takes the conservative side and treats it as new to ensure the user will not miss a new episode due to the description not being updated.

3) bad data from Schedules Direct/Gracenote ... hence the desire for an example.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:58 pm

garyan2 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:well, suddenly my EPG123 thinks that some reruns are new. And with one show it had an original air date that was a week or so into the future.

Could you give an example of which series/episode you are talking about. I'm pretty sure this is not a data problem, but due to one of the following:

1) WMC considers anything with an OAD within 7 days as new. Example would be the upcoming premiere of 'For the People" on 3/13. It of course would be flagged as new. The re-showing of the premiere on 3/17 will also be flagged as new by WMC because the OAD will only have been 4 days in the past.

2) The episode being shown is a repeat but the guide information is generic. In this case, WMC takes the conservative side and treats it as new to ensure the user will not miss a new episode due to the description not being updated.

3) bad data from Schedules Direct/Gracenote ... hence the desire for an example.
Crickets?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

garyan2 wrote:

Sorry, I missed this one.

On 2/28, Modern Family s09e15 got recorded--and was listed with an OAD of 3/7, a week later. I promise, I have no flux capacitor attached to my WMC box.

Around the same time I noticed that a two year old Blue Bloods, airing late on a Saturday night on the CBS affiliate, was marked to record--despite my series recording setup being new shows only on that same channel. I had to manually de-select it.

I see things like this happen now and then.

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 am

This has been going on for months now and seems to be getting worse. I set up all my shows in TV Time so I can see what's coming on every night and make sure it's getting recorded.

I'll be looking into EPG123 tonight.