My Guide Data Is Full Of Garbage

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
ZippyTheChicken

HTPC Specs: Show details

My Guide Data Is Full Of Garbage

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 am

Am I alone .. my guide data and the preview pictures are just garbage and totally unrelated..

This has been a problem for a long while now the preview pics for movies use to sometimes be unrelated to the movie

but now there are issues with tv shows too.

Only a handful of stations actually have matching images and show names in the guide
this makes it really hard to schedule new movies by browsing the up coming schedule

Is there a cache that I can dump without losing my scheduled shows?
or something?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 pm

You can try to empty your Temporary Internet Files for Internet Explorer. This is where all the images downloaded for WMC are cached. It will force a refresh, but if Rovi is providing the wrong image in the first place you will still be in the same situation.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 pm

well i deleted the cache and updated the guide

its a recent new install as I had a drive crash a few months ago and had to rebuild the system

previously it was my desktop.. now its dedicated only for wmc

I am on crapcast with a cable modem

OTA Stations seem to be more accurate for some reason

But I am still hitting about a 15% overall accuracy rate on images matching the movie or tv show...

its just as bad or worse on TV shows as movies

Its really bad or I wouldn't complain about a handful of movies and tv shows here and there...

it almost seems intentionally bad
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 pm

ZippyTheChicken wrote:well i deleted the cache and updated the guide

its a recent new install as I had a drive crash a few months ago and had to rebuild the system

previously it was my desktop.. now its dedicated only for WMC

I am on crapcast with a cable modem

OTA Stations seem to be more accurate for some reason

But I am still hitting about a 15% overall accuracy rate on images matching the movie or tv show...

its just as bad or worse on TV shows as movies

Its really bad or I wouldn't complain about a handful of movies and tv shows here and there...

it almost seems intentionally bad
Then you're getting garbage from Rovi.

There's always EPG123... I have an extremely high success rate with images thanks to Schedules Direct/Gracenote of course.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 pm

So that makes me really wonder

Rovi has to produce a guide for their Tivos
and its my understanding that at least a few other devices also use Rovi Guide Info

So .. I mean.. this has to be intentional for them to put out a separate guide for WMC that is garbage

I can't imagine Tivo users having the same issue or the other companies that buy their guide info

Its like when comcast takes OTA HD signals and dumbs them down to SD quality intentionally but then will charge you extra for HD over their system when you can get it for free with an antenna.

Rovi must be squirreling out this garbage deliberately and maybe so at the direction of Microsoft .. so they can shutter WMC support

Its got to be intentional if one db has great info and another is 80% garbage

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Who says TiVo is getting great info? They are getting pretty much the same data as WMC gets.

There are some mitigating issues that might make it appear that TiVo's are getting slightly better data such as a bug in WMC that prevents certain updates from occurring and TiVo having a more liberal definition of what a "New" episode is, but if you look at the TiVo forums, you will see that they have some of the same complaints about the guide data as WMC users do.