Hair all pulled out after 40 hours of work, still no EPG

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Cavebat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 am

Bummer, no help visitor tonight. Let me read up on this EPG123, learn more. I'll get back with you tonight if your up late, or tomorrow.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:14 am

If I understand you correctly and EPG123, it will work with my system even though I cannot get my WMC EPG to work now? What if I adopt EPG123 then WMC EPG starts to work? What is this Rovi "virus" I read about? How can I prevent it's infection? I'm just a little skeptical about a new more sophisticated EPG working when I can't get the formally functioning WMC EPG to work now, just because of a simple reinstall of Win 7 and an upgrade to a SSD. EPG123 looks great and the additional functions and benefits look good, and well worth the price. Will WMC continue to function as I'm accustom to? If I could get a little more assurance from you that it will work with my system, more precisely, that I can get it to work, then I'm in! I will download, purchase and donate tomorrow asap. Still can't understand Microsoft inability to keep a program functioning correctly after a simple reinstall and upgrade and no one else able to help me get it to work.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:03 am

Cavebat wrote:If I understand you correctly and EPG123, it will work with my system even though I cannot get my WMC EPG to work now? What if I adopt EPG123 then WMC EPG starts to work? What is this Rovi "virus" I read about? How can I prevent it's infection? I'm just a little skeptical about a new more sophisticated EPG working when I can't get the formally functioning WMC EPG to work now, just because of a simple reinstall of Win 7 and an upgrade to a SSD. EPG123 looks great and the additional functions and benefits look good, and well worth the price. Will WMC continue to function as I'm accustom to? If I could get a little more assurance from you that it will work with my system, more precisely, that I can get it to work, then I'm in! I will download, purchase and donate tomorrow asap. Still can't understand Microsoft inability to keep a program functioning correctly after a simple reinstall and upgrade and no one else able to help me get it to work.
Rovi is not a virus. Rovi is the new provider of guide data for Microsoft (WMC, XBOX One) which was originally provided by Zap2it. Rovi also bought Tivo. However, Rovi's guide data is so bad, users refer to it as a "virus".

Stop this madness and switch to EPG123 immediately. Your WMC and EPG will function as normal. The only downside is you will have to re-program scheduled series because the series ID will be different. As you can see on this forum, there are an overwhelming about of satisfied EPG123 users. Microsoft does not care about WMC or you; that's the short answer to your question.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Scallica, thanks for the reply. According to you, EPG123 is what I need, and their is no downside for me cause I just re installed my opp sys, wiping out all scheduled series I had. I know Microsoft does not care about me or WMC, but they should have cared about WMC, I think it was the best thing they ever made. They should have took over everybody's living room, but really dropped the ball, and did it again with Windows Phone being in everyone's pocket! If only I was the CEO. Looks like I'm going with EPG123, as soon as I get the time to download and install today.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 pm

I started to take the plunge into EPG123, and, it is not going well for me. First, I could not get Playready to work through Media Center. I ended up manually downloading it, but after that, MC still didn't appear to recognize it. I went on with the WMC setup anyway. Then, I was trying to setup EPG123 guide listing, so I went through, and was reviewing all the lineups in my area, I think about eight of them, and SD counted six of my "reviews" as the limit for a 24 hour period, even though I did not save or use any of them. Now it looks like I have to wait another 24 hours to try and get my system up and running. Bummer. I submitted a ticket to SD to see if they could reset this for me immediately, but they have statement that my ticket might not get responded to for 5 days. So unless one of you knows who to call at SD for me, then it looks like I have to wait another 23 and a half hours to try this again.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Ah hah. Someone was on the ball at SD. They reset it for me a few minutes ago, excellent! Now, if I can get it running, it looks like I'll move over to EPG123 board for new post's.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:19 pm

I had the same problem. Verizon FIOS, Hampton Roads, VA area, with HDHomeRun Prime - only Standard Definition listings where available on my Windows 7 WMC. Before I googled the issue I re-did the "TV setup" and nothing happened (except that I have lost my favorite lineup setup and had to re-do it).
I found here about EPG123, and seeing that uses SD (had great experience with SD and the previous ReplayTV boxes), I took the chance, and paid for a full year.
Well, after setting up the server and client, it works great! My wife had to re-program her 200 shows (or they just seem to be that many to me) but hey, that's not my problem :D
Goodbye Rovi!

kodi2k6

Post by kodi2k6 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm

I found this on Microsoft Connect and it fixed my systems and it may help you also.
(It worked on my system running Win8.1 Pro and one running Win7 Home.)

" I had to manually apply a .NET update, it wasn't automatically for some reason.

Start Menu > Type in "Windows Update"
Select Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for X64 (KB3186539)

A restart is required for this update to take effect. "

Good Luck!