Hair all pulled out after 40 hours of work, still no EPG

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Cavebat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hair all pulled out after 40 hours of work, still no EPG

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:01 am

I have tried everything I could find, no luck. I installed new SSD and re-installed Win 7 Pro. I have infinitv 4 PCIe. Digital Cable Advisor worked. Activate Digital Cable worked. Tuners are working. PlayReady installed. Digital Tuner Diagnostics working.
Downloading TV Setup Data Failure after zip code input. Downloadable Guide Not Available due to previous downloading failures. I have tried everything I could find and understand to resolve this issue. Everything worked fine until my upgrades. I desperately need help, and willing to try everything or anything again to get this working. I would even make you dinner if you came over to help in Columbus area (probably just order a pizza to be honest). Any help would be appreciated. Tell me what you need to begin trouble shooting my problem. Please Please Please help me. I'm here ready to work hard in "real" time to get this working. Happy fathers day if you are indeed a father, I'm not, but called mine.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:23 am

Perseverance is the key. When you get the Download failure message, click [OK] and [Back] button to try again. Do not cancel out or start over ... you may have to do this a few times. This has been a problem lately (I setup and re-setup WMC quite a bit during development of EPG123). It has gotten worse this last week or two. Eventually it will decide you have everything you need to start scanning for your tuners.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks for a quick reply. I understand perseverance. I will keep trying. Do you think I should go back and undue the notepad edits on the host file, or flush dns again?

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 am

I have went back and clicked OK and then Back to try again many times, and will keep doing it all night, or until it works, if you really think it will eventually work.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:00 am

By chance are you trying to use the default WMC channel guide? If so, I would suggest trying EPG123

It does require a Schedulesdirect membership which costs $25 a year. They do offer a free week trial or 2 month membership that costs $6
Forum on TGB that is for EPG123: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:05 am

Yes WMC channel guide. I'm not opposed to trying EPG123, or paying, but shouldn't WMC channel guide work, since it worked for 7+ years up until my upgrade?

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:15 am

Still not sure if I should undue my host file edits. Can't help thinking about Einstein insanity quote while going back and trying again and again and again on the failure message.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 am

I'll keep on with my perseverance, both with the OK-Back-try again on downloading the TV Setup Data, and this forum. After 2 days straight of every hour I've been awake trying to solve this, things are getting pretty neglected around the house and my body. I need to eventually clean both. I'll keep posting here, pleading for help. I know it's Sunday night, Fathers Day, but I can be very persistent and focused when trying to solve a problem. Anyone want to try and help me? I'll be here....your my last hope Obi-Wangreenbutton.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 am

Sorry, forgot to tell the forum to notify me of responses. Personally, I would back out all modifications you have done trying to get this to work. Honestly, the most I've had to hit the back button on failed downloads is probably 4 or 5 times.

BTW: This problem of downloading the initial stuff will impact setting up EPG123 as well.
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:56 am

Hey garyan2 thanks! I think the only permanent mod I did was modifying the host file, so I'll go undue that, and keep trying to refresh the TV Setup Data again. I must have done it 2 dozen times since your suggestion.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:03 am

garyan2 wrote:Sorry, forgot to tell the forum to notify me of responses. Personally, I would back out all modifications you have done trying to get this to work. Honestly, the most I've had to hit the back button on failed downloads is probably 4 or 5 times.

BTW: This problem of downloading the initial stuff will impact setting up EPG123 as well.
This is part of the reason I am unsure that we are ready for when Microsoft stops supporting WMC. Is EPG123 enough after there are no more Microsoft servers?

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:24 am

Went back, Unmodified my host file, flushed dns, shut down, re-started, back to repeated downloading of TV Setup Data, about 8 times now. Avoiding banging my head.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 am

I'm unable to get through the TV Setup Data, no input of my cable provider, so, of course no epg data. Curious thing, I get the message of Downloadable Guide Not Available due to previous downloading failures. Then it says for more information right click on the WMC system tray icon and open WMC Update log. Well, right clicking on my system tray icon has no option for log.

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 am

Does anybody have a good working zip code for Columbus area, or anywhere, that I can try, just to see if I can get past this step?

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 am

Does anyone have anything I can try, or log to provide, or screenshot, setting change, electric shock, or blow with a hammer, just to make me feel like I'm at least trying something different to resolve. I'm willing and able to do everything.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:04 am

I just download 43215 without issue.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:05 am

Space wrote:This is part of the reason I am unsure that we are ready for when Microsoft stops supporting WMC. Is EPG123 enough after there are no more Microsoft servers?
I believe so. You can input a zipcode of 00000 and still successfully set up WMC. I'll play around and see what I see.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:15 am

I just setup a VM WMC with the network disconnected during the Download portion of the setup. Got the following error and could continue for a successful setup with epg123.
NoNetwork.png
@Cavebat: If you want to give EPG123 a shot (http://epg123.garyan2.net), then I can now tell you it can be done. To speed things up, you could disconnect the network like I did right before that step and then reconnect before clicking the OK button from above image.

EDIT: BTW, there was no "existing data" ... I blew away the ehome directory prior to trying this.
- Gary

Cavebat

Post by Cavebat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 am

So, garyan2, you do live close to me. What are you doing tonight, want to come over? I have beer! I'm not sure about what you mean. VM WMC? Network Disconnected? Like I said, I'm not opposed to this EPG123, especially if it gets me up and running, but it just baffles me why 48 hours ago WMC guide was working and had been for years, now I can't get anywhere with it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 am

VM is Virtual Machine and unfortunately not local. I have driven through Columbus on I-70 many, many times though.

I "virtually" disconnect the network cable right before clicking 'Next' on the Program Guide Terms of Service screen. I then reconnected after it failed to download and before I clicked OK on the prompt.
- Gary