When the guide goes dark forever

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
GreenMachine

HTPC Specs: Show details

When the guide goes dark forever

Post by GreenMachine » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 pm

We all know that Windows 7 will be out of support on 1/14/2020. So what happens to the guide?

Is there some sort of a hack that allows you to change the guide provider?

Because with 2 years in test, I don't see Silicon Dust ever getting that DVR app they're writing done for DRM channels, and for all we know Win 7 could be the only way to make full use of an HD Home Run Prime.

Is there a way to change the guide provider?

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Sure is, take a look in this subforum: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:13 am

GreenMachine wrote:Is there a way to change the guide provider?
Yes, you are very late to the party.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 am

Yes! epg123 will not only replace the ROVI guide data, but it also has better data! No more missed recordings because data isn't marked correctly, guide images for movie and tv shows are all correct as well. I can now search the guide by genres (not just the three offered with ROVI), and I now have guide data for about 28 days rather than the 12 or so that ROVI provides.

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 am

RyC wrote:Sure is, take a look in this subforum: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99
Thank you!

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:15 am

Scallica wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:Is there a way to change the guide provider?
Yes, you are very late to the party.
I've basically been watching nothing but politics for the last 2 years. I haven't even thought about the TV, lol. WMC just kept right on working.

Now that I got what I wanted I can focus on other stuff, like further nerding out my house!

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 am

dkrom wrote:Yes! epg123 will not only replace the ROVI guide data, but it also has better data! No more missed recordings because data isn't marked correctly, guide images for movie and tv shows are all correct as well. I can now search the guide by genres (not just the three offered with ROVI), and I now have guide data for about 28 days rather than the 12 or so that ROVI provides.
Yeah I noticed lots of oddities with Rovi. WOW! 28 days is nice. I'll switch it over tomorrow night after I run a backup.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 am

Just in case you were unaware, to use EPG123 you need a subscription to Schedules Direct. It is currently $25/year.

http://www.schedulesdirect.org/membershiplevels

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

Space wrote:Just in case you were unaware, to use EPG123 you need a subscription to Schedules Direct. It is currently $25/year.

http://www.schedulesdirect.org/membershiplevels
Yeah that's about the going rate I guess. Theirs looks superior to the other offerings I found last night, so it is what it is.

Hey, our parents actually paid for a printed BOOK to get their tv listings. $25 a year is still cheaper than the weekly TV-Guide was in the 70's and 80's.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes, "our parents" :-)

The TV listings were also in the newspaper, so you didn't have to get "the book". Although I often picked up the "Fall Preview" issue once a year...

Now days you have new TV shows premiering at all times of the year, so this issue would be less helpful.

And $25 a year is definitely a bargain for what you get, but for some people "free" is the better deal even if the product leaves much to be desired.

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Space wrote:Yes, "our parents" :-)

The TV listings were also in the newspaper, so you didn't have to get "the book". Although I often picked up the "Fall Preview" issue once a year...

Now days you have new TV shows premiering at all times of the year, so this issue would be less helpful.

And $25 a year is definitely a bargain for what you get, but for some people "free" is the better deal even if the product leaves much to be desired.
Alright alright, so I may have purchased a TV Guide a few times out of necessity :shh: My physical appearance does enough to reveal my age. I don't have to just hand that info over in a forum :lol:

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:38 pm

What tuners are you using?
Where are you located?
There are a few issues for Capture Devices and outside the USA.

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Sammy2 wrote:What tuners are you using?
Where are you located?
There are a few issues for Capture Devices and outside the USA.
Oh I'm in PA. It's not dark yet, but I know MS and once doomsday hits they'll drop 7 like a disease. Maybe not completely but large corporate customers aren't running WMC so that's definitely going to be the least of their worries.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Stop all Win7 updates.

Use epg123.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Stop all Win7 updates.
No one should let those halfwits at MS automatically update a PC they depend on for anything.

Here is my update procedure with any machine I actually need to use regularly.

1. Determine if it's even necessary. Security are not not necessary on a WMC machine. Hackers can steal my recorded re-runs of Welcome Back Kotter til their heart's content.
2. Full boot/os drive image backup.
3. Install updates
4. Take another image immediately afterward. It helps in case you need to track down a problem, but just want to roll back.

That megalomaniacal douchebag Gates will not beat me, lol. Backup, backup, backup!
Sammy2 wrote:Use epg123.

I may later. Right now I'm still monitoring my migration. I've never run WMC in a VM before April, so I don't know what COULD go wrong. Maybe in about a month I'll introduce it. Right after I take a snapshot, but just before I take another, lol.

I have one small problem I need to work out as well. On my Win 10 client running 7WMC in Virtual Box, my old Linksys DMA2200 connected without a problem. Now that the VM is running on UNRaid, which is essentially Slackware with NAS, ALL of the Echos connect right away but the Linksys will no longer connect. Very odd. Never had them split on connectivity results before. The Echos are faster than they ever were, and the Linksys won't connect at all. One problem at a time :crazy:

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 pm

GreenMachine wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Stop all Win7 updates.
No one should let those halfwits at MS automatically update a PC they depend on for anything.

Here is my update procedure with any machine I actually need to use regularly.

1. Determine if it's even necessary. Security are not not necessary on a WMC machine. Hackers can steal my recorded re-runs of Welcome Back Kotter til their heart's content.
2. Full boot/os drive image backup.
3. Install updates
4. Take another image immediately afterward. It helps in case you need to track down a problem, but just want to roll back.

That megalomaniacal douchebag Gates will not beat me, lol. Backup, backup, backup!
Sammy2 wrote:Use epg123.

I may later. Right now I'm still monitoring my migration. I've never run WMC in a VM before April, so I don't know what COULD go wrong. Maybe in about a month I'll introduce it. Right after I take a snapshot, but just before I take another, lol.

I have one small problem I need to work out as well. On my Win 10 client running 7WMC in Virtual Box, my old Linksys DMA2200 connected without a problem. Now that the VM is running on UNRaid, which is essentially Slackware with NAS, ALL of the Echos connect right away but the Linksys will no longer connect. Very odd. Never had them split on connectivity results before. The Echos are faster than they ever were, and the Linksys won't connect at all. One problem at a time :crazy:
Update: The DMA2200 issue was resolved. Damn cheap patch cords. It's a short run to the switch so I used a pre-made 25 footer. All other cables I make myself. Of course, that's the one that was having an issue. New cable, no problem. Glad I remembered the device has all but useless wifi. That connected it, although good luck getting a stable video stream with it.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Not to go OT, but why make them yourself? Monoprice patch cables are top quality, dirt cheap and guaranteed forever.

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Not to go OT, but why make them yourself? Monoprice patch cables are top quality, dirt cheap and guaranteed forever.
Mostly because when I have to drill a hole through a floor or wall the hole need only be as big in diameter as the cable. Aside from that the roll/box cable is usually better quality. I use solid copper/plenum cable throughout the house. I don't use patch cords until after the jack.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 pm

I have a dma2200 running on wifi with no problem. The key for me was running it off of a 5ghz router. The 2.4ghz was horrible, but 5ghz works great - there is a slight lag when selecting menus, but never any video dropouts.