Incomplete Guide data. "Fails" at 80%?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Mugsy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Incomplete Guide data. "Fails" at 80%?

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Briefly, I was forced to restore an 8-month old backup of my C: drive following a destructive Windows Update. The restored backup has a few minor problems, including this unexplained inability to download the latest EPG w/o reporting "failure".

Now understand, this is not a "too few days" problem. This is a "only the first few channels have any data in them at all" problem:

When I attempt a download, I get an error after it has downloaded about 80%:

When I check the indicated log (via "Event Viewer" b/c there's no such link via the tray icon), it reports an error regarding "nettv". No idea what that is.

I'm not sure is this is a temporary problem or something that needs fixing, but this is Day Two of not being able to complete an update since I restored the backup yesterday. Any ideas? Thx.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 pm

You can ignore the nettv error. It has absolutely nothing to do with the guide update and will always appear, even if the update is successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Okay. But that doesn't solve my problem. :(

Space

Post by Space » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm

The error message in the second image is also "normal" (most of my "successful" downloads these days get that message) and does not necessarily indicate a major problem.

Did you try to do a "Set up TV Signal" to see if that resolves the problem with missing data for some channels?

WARNING:
Running "Set Up TV Signal" allows you to change Cable TV providers or cable lineups. The only side-affects are that "Favorites" lists are wiped out, all channels will be enabled (you will have to Disable any channels you don't want listed in the guide (Foreign language, not subscribed, etc.)), and tuner priority for each channel is reset to default.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:53 am

I'm a little concerned that rescanning my channels will wipe out all my Recording presets.

Not a *huge* deal, but ever since MS changed the Guide source, the only programs that *actually* record are those I set before the Guide source was changed to Rovi. :(

I'll back up my PC and try running the Signal Setup.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:05 pm

I backed everything up and tried "Setup TV signal" to do a rescan, but during the "Downloading the latest TV setup data for your region" screen, after a long pause of several minutes of no network activity, I eventually get "The new TV setup data could not be downloaded."

I cancel everything after that to avoid changing my current settings w/o it.

Rechecked my EPG and it only has program data for the first 7 (of about 50) channels. Very odd.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm

I hesitate to give much more advice on this, since I don't know that much about it, but some other things you can try is changing the servers you connect to by editing your hosts file (not sure if this would help any). http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 288#p80288

Another is to run ObjectStoreRecoveryTask, but this can potentially leave you in a worse state than you are now (in some cases).

Things that will definitely happen after you run ObjectStoreRecoveryTask are:
  • Most of your Series will remain and work fine (see bullet point below for an exception), however the "history of recorded episodes" will be erased (so Series you have set to "New & Rerun" may want to re-record some older episodes).
  • Any existing "bookmarks" for shows you are watching will be reset (all shows you start playing will start from the beginning, not where you left off).
  • The link between previously recorded episodes and the Series that recorded them will be lost (so no "cancel series" or "Series Info" options when looking at the recordings details), but new recordings will be fine.
  • SOME Series may no longer work, and will have to be recreated, but I have only seen this on Series where the Series title has changed from when it was first set up.
You can try the hosts file option (as it should not cause any side-effects) but I would hold off on the other option until you get some other suggestion from other people here on the forum. You can search for ObjectStoreRecoveryTask to see how to run it form the task manager and what other people have experienced after running it.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Since you are getting an mxf file to load you are probably talking to the proper servers at Microsoft. It seems likely that either the mxf file is getting corrupted during download (possible HW or network problem) or your WMC database is corrupted. If its a corrupted database then the ObjectStoreRecovery is your best bet to fix that. The failure to download during tuner setup can happen I have had to try multiple times in the past before it would download.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Yeah, a "corrupted database" certainly sounds like the most likely cause after restoring such an old backup.

WMC probably went nuts trying to calulate the next update after a 8 month hiatus. :D

I'll try ObjectStoreRecovery and report back asap. Thanks all.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:08 am

(I can't edit my post.)

Ah! I checked the Task Manager tasks ("Microsoft | Windows | MediaCenter") and "ObjectStoreRecovery" is listed as "Class not registered".

How do I fix that? I'm not finding anything helpful online. :(

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:41 am

you could try to run %SystemRoot%\ehome\mcupdate -ObjectRestoreRecoveryTask

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 am

stuartm wrote:you could try to run %SystemRoot%\ehome\mcupdate -ObjectRestoreRecoveryTask
Thanks for the reply.

The suggested command didn't work, but running it from the Task Scheduler (despite being "unregistered") DID!

After running the task, I told WMC to download the latest EPG. It reported it found & fixed an error, and when I ran it again, the full guide was back!

Huge thanks to all. Consider the case closed!

PS: For those reading this in the future, the "ObjectRestoreRecoveryTask" can be found in the "Task Sheduler" within the task folders I listed above.