Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Ken H wrote:
Ken H wrote:After removing, rebooting, and re-adding WMC from Windows Features, now I have data for locals and channels 1-99. Still 'No data available' for all of the digital and HD channels.
JohnW248 wrote:Really need more information to be able to advise. What you did really doesn't do anything.
?
Not sure if there is anyone on the MSFT forums that understand MC, much less how to fix it.

I would do a full reset on that machine.
Go to Task Schedule and open Task Scheduler, then microsoft/windows/media center and scroll down to Media CenterRecoveryTask. Make sure Media Center is closed (and it would be wise to have rebooted and have nothing else open on the machine) and then from the action menu item select run.

This time media center when clicked on will be the same as the first time it was run. All previous tuners, settings and stored recordings will be lost. You WILL still have the previous protected recordings unlike doing a full re-install of windows.

Now you will have to go through the cable advisor again and get the system set-up for cableCARD and then rerun tv-set up.

I disagree on what removing the WMC from MSFT add ons in programs and features and rebooting. In your case it wouldn't have fixed your problem. This will remove any old problems with ehome databases and tuners.

good luck.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Looks like today's update has 4 days of new data with actual data ending 8 pm EDT August 25.

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 pm

anotheruser wrote:Looks like today's update has 4 days of new data with actual data ending 8 pm EDT August 25.
Great find anotheruser!! I just manually uploaded mine. It is now running through August 25, 2017. I can't wait to see the new shows starting in September. I really don't watch much TV but I appreciate the WMC as it allows me to record the shows that I do like to watch during my free time (of which there is never enough).

Take care and thanks for posting,
Theresa

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 pm

MY EPG just completed the new update. Good through 6 PM MDT 8/25 (reported Guide end date is 8/26 at 4 PM yes I know this is normal although it's usually more like 4 AM)

Channel 631 TVE has one of those place holder listings that runs form 4:10 pm 8/25 through 4:00 PM 8/26

As far as I can tell everything completed normally (including the normal errors)

Comcast
Salt Lake City

jtbnet

Post by jtbnet » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:26 pm

FIOS East (MA) updated to ending 8/25 @8PM so about as full as it's bee in quite a while

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 am

sigh just checked again getting ready to watch the Strain, no data yet in SC on comporium. I'll try a reset of cable provided again this week, but i think its time to see what the companies whole whom DVR system would add to my bill. My free time is limited these days and spending it on a product MS refuses to see the value in seems wasted :(

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 am

BruinBro wrote:
superdave6653 wrote:
BruinBro wrote:I have guide data past 5:00 PM PST on the 11th just for my local channels, but not for any cable channels. Spectrum Cable in Southern California..Anybody else experiencing the same?
close media center and try running "mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc" in an elevated command prompt (as admiinistrator by right clicking command prompt and selecting run as administrator from start - accessories) before running this command type cd \windows\ehome\ to switch to the proper directory

it forces the download of a new epg listing database and performs database cleanup. let it run for about 20 min and you should be good through 8/20-21 after you reopen media center you may need to manually download guide data to get the guide thumbnails to properly populate the guide after, but the data will be there

to be sure this process is finished check the media center icon in the system tray by right clicking it, as long as update data now is grayed out it is still running the command NOTE the amount of time this takes varies from 11 min to more than 40 min for some

if this doesn't work for you post that here along with cable co and city

if you get epg data past 8/20-21 post that here too along with cable co and city
Thank You very much :thumbup: Spectrum Cable in Orange, CA
I have new data out til the 25th now, but it's again only for local channels..No new data for cable channels

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 am

BruinBro wrote:
I have new data out til the 25th now, but it's again only for local channels..No new data for cable channels
What are you using to receive cable channels? An HDHomerun Prime?

What are you using to receive over-the-air channels? An HDHomerun Connect?

If so, have you re-run the HDHomerun channel scans using the HDHomerun Setup Program?

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm

Just updated! :)

8/26/2017 6:00:00 PM
Spectrum Indianapolis Digital

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Roginator wrote:
BruinBro wrote:

If so, have you re-run the HDHomerun channel scans using the HDHomerun Setup Program?
Yes, 2 HDHomerun Primes here with 2 cable cards and tuning adapters...Haven't done a channel scan,, I could give it a shot, thanks.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Checking my various machines this morning, two had not received new data and ended on Aug 20. I have run a forced (-uf) update and the guide updated to Aug 25 now (end date shows Aug 26 but actual data ends on Aug 25). Don't know what is different on two machines but they had been updating but not taking and processing the new guide data. It would appear that the "loop" issue isn't fixed and also appears to be random.

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:45 am

Comcast
Salt Lake City

Have guide data with no new programs after 8/27 6:00 PM MDT and reported Guide End Date of 8/28 4:00 AM for 12 days of Guide listings

Update received at 3:58 PM MDT 8/15

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 am

BruinBro wrote:
Roginator wrote:
BruinBro wrote:

Yes, 2 HDHomerun Primes here with 2 cable cards and tuning adapters...Haven't done a channel scan,, I could give it a shot, thanks.
No luck on channel scan...Did the mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc again..The only thing that seems to be working for me..I have complete listings up until 8/27 @ 5:00 PM

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am

updated!

8/28/2017 6:00:00 AM
Spectrum Indianapolis Digital

2nd time in three days. :)

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:49 pm

BruinBro wrote:
No luck on channel scan...Did the mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc again..The only thing that seems to be working for me..I have complete listings up until 8/27 @ 5:00 PM
FYI, I've found the running just mcupdate.exe -uf does all the operations of getting the guide and running a client maintenance operation (check your event viewer for two additional MCUPDATE listings one starting and then completing the Client Maintenance which can take two hours. Using the switch -dbgc I think now is redundant, the original switches date back to Vista and the take out garbage I don't think is necessary with the -uf switch. If you run nothing but the -dbgc that might work.

By the way you can edit the commands in the schedule task library and change the command line there but it will make for long updates.

My last update hasn't changed in the last couple of days with actual programs in the guide ending Sunday the 27th at 4PM (although the guide end date is Monday the 28th). It would be nice to know how often Rovi actually puts new data in the guide. MSFT runs the guide updater twice a day on my systems.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:46 pm

I've been at guide ending on the 27th for several days now. I attempted a guide update manually, and it came back within 15 seconds indicating that guide data had been downloaded successfully... but no change. Anyone else getting the same result?

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
BruinBro wrote:
FYI, I've found the running just mcupdate.exe -uf does all the operations of getting the guide and running a client maintenance operation (check your event viewer for two additional MCUPDATE listings one starting and then completing the Client Maintenance which can take two hours. Using the switch -dbgc I think now is redundant, the original switches date back to Vista and the take out garbage I don't think is necessary with the -uf switch. If you run nothing but the -dbgc that might work.

By the way you can edit the commands in the schedule task library and change the command line there but it will make for long updates.

My last update hasn't changed in the last couple of days with actual programs in the guide ending Sunday the 27th at 4PM (although the guide end date is Monday the 28th). It would be nice to know how often Rovi actually puts new data in the guide. MSFT runs the guide updater twice a day on my systems.
Ah, OK..Thanks, I appreciate that.

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 am

Comcast
Salt Lake City

Guide updated at 3:45 PM MDT 8/18

Guide End Date is 9/1/17 @ 4:00 AM MDT
No new programs in Guide after 8/31/17 @ 6:00 PM MDT
Seems like a NORMAL automatic update

And yes my WMC also runs two EPG update attempts each day at around 3 AM and 3 PM. I think this is normal but probably has been doing the second update since Microsoft killed NetTV. I think the NetTV error triggers the second update attempt. Then again it could be triggered by the fact that no new guide datg was found at the 3 AM download attempt.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:46 am

UCBearcat wrote:I've been at guide ending on the 27th for several days now. I attempted a guide update manually, and it came back within 15 seconds indicating that guide data had been downloaded successfully... but no change. Anyone else getting the same result?
I just attempted another manual update. Now I have data though the 31st. It doesn't seem like we get updates every day any longer...

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:19 pm

UCBearcat wrote:I've been at guide ending on the 27th for several days now. I attempted a guide update manually, and it came back within 15 seconds indicating that guide data had been downloaded successfully... but no change. Anyone else getting the same result?
I get the same results every time that I try to do a manual update and there is NO new guide entries. If you hover over the WMC tray icon you can watch it work and although it says that it is downloading the latest guide info, it really is not. Then if you wait a few seconds, the tray icon states that the guide was completed with errors and will try again. All it indicates is that there is nothing new for the system to download.

I must also state that the guide is updating regularly and with longer listings than it has in quite a while. That is the good news. The thumbnails issue also seems to be resolved.

Theresa