Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:58 am

anotheruser wrote: We have to make it easier to fix than deal with the complaints and that includes threatening to try and get a CNET or major bloggers to write an article on "The Least Reliable Cloud Service on the Internet,"
Microsoft has no contractual responsibility to continue providing schedules for WMC - the "Guide Terms of Service" that you can read under Settings/TV/Guide, and that you had to accept when you set up WMC, clearly states "Microsoft may discontinue providing the EPG at any time".

So go ahead, kick up a fuss about "The Least Reliable Cloud Service on the Internet". Just don't complain if Microsoft's management agrees with you, and decides to cancel it altogether, as the "customers" clearly aren't happy with it. They've cancelled far more important and publicly visible services than the EPG, and they could even point to the paid alternatives that allow WMC to keep on working without any support from MS if there was a backlash.

Trying to shame MS into improving the EPG is not a particularly smart idea.

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 am

I have guide data past 5:00 PM PST on the 11th just for my local channels, but not for any cable channels. Spectrum Cable in Southern California..Anybody else experiencing the same?

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:04 pm

BruinBro wrote:I have guide data past 5:00 PM PST on the 11th just for my local channels, but not for any cable channels. Spectrum Cable in Southern California..Anybody else experiencing the same?
close media center and try running "mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc" in an elevated command prompt (as admiinistrator by right clicking command prompt and selecting run as administrator from start - accessories) before running this command type cd \windows\ehome\ to switch to the proper directory

it forces the download of a new epg listing database and performs database cleanup. let it run for about 20 min and you should be good through 8/20-21 after you reopen media center you may need to manually download guide data to get the guide thumbnails to properly populate the guide after, but the data will be there

to be sure this process is finished check the media center icon in the system tray by right clicking it, as long as update data now is grayed out it is still running the command NOTE the amount of time this takes varies from 11 min to more than 40 min for some

if this doesn't work for you post that here along with cable co and city

if you get epg data past 8/20-21 post that here too along with cable co and city

Roginator

Post by Roginator » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Another update!!

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Just updated! :)

8/22/2017 7:00:00 AM
Spectrum Indianapolis Digital

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:Just updated! :)

8/22/2017 7:00:00 AM
Spectrum Indianapolis Digital
Sorry, no. That's the guide from two days ago. Easily checked. Go to guide. Click Search. Click Title. It will show "11 days" of listing. If there is no new guide tonight after 9 pm eastern, I'll let Rovi know in the morning.

SugarFree

EDIT: Oops. Looks like you were correct. Just did a manual update and got (only) one more day on FIOS - though this update did correct some missing or incorrect data. We now have 12 days, so perhaps there will be another update tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know.
Last edited by SugarFree on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:28 pm

foxwood wrote:
anotheruser wrote: We have to make it easier to fix than deal with the complaints and that includes threatening to try and get a CNET or major bloggers to write an article on "The Least Reliable Cloud Service on the Internet,"
Microsoft has no contractual responsibility to continue providing schedules for WMC - the "Guide Terms of Service" that you can read under Settings/TV/Guide, and that you had to accept when you set up WMC, clearly states "Microsoft may discontinue providing the EPG at any time".

So go ahead, kick up a fuss about "The Least Reliable Cloud Service on the Internet". Just don't complain if Microsoft's management agrees with you, and decides to cancel it altogether, as the "customers" clearly aren't happy with it. They've cancelled far more important and publicly visible services than the EPG, and they could even point to the paid alternatives that allow WMC to keep on working without any support from MS if there was a backlash.

Trying to shame MS into improving the EPG is not a particularly smart idea.
Hi again,

I was going to specify the exact scenario that you spelled out. I agree that adding fuel to a fire is always in no one's best interest. If you are unhappy with your current data then please go elsewhere. This forum was built by users who are attempting to solve issues not creating problems. We all understand that this is free software and Microsoft could abandon it at any time. I am grateful for this forum and the people that work diligently to assist the entire community when issues arise. I regret that you are unhappy with this EPG. We all can get frustrated but please do not lash out. Problems are best served with diplomacy and tact.

Thanks, Theresa

BruinBro

Post by BruinBro » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 pm

superdave6653 wrote:
BruinBro wrote:I have guide data past 5:00 PM PST on the 11th just for my local channels, but not for any cable channels. Spectrum Cable in Southern California..Anybody else experiencing the same?
close media center and try running "mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc" in an elevated command prompt (as admiinistrator by right clicking command prompt and selecting run as administrator from start - accessories) before running this command type cd \windows\ehome\ to switch to the proper directory

it forces the download of a new epg listing database and performs database cleanup. let it run for about 20 min and you should be good through 8/20-21 after you reopen media center you may need to manually download guide data to get the guide thumbnails to properly populate the guide after, but the data will be there

to be sure this process is finished check the media center icon in the system tray by right clicking it, as long as update data now is grayed out it is still running the command NOTE the amount of time this takes varies from 11 min to more than 40 min for some

if this doesn't work for you post that here along with cable co and city

if you get epg data past 8/20-21 post that here too along with cable co and city
Thank You very much :thumbup: Spectrum Cable in Orange, CA

angelino

Post by angelino » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm

"mcupdate.exe -uf -dbgc" did not work here = Belgium (being without an EPG update since 2 weeks)

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 pm

I received an EPG update today with 8/21 end of new programs 6 PM Rovi Guide end date of 8/22 4 AM The Guide itself has only populated to 8/21 at 6 AM but individual channels (clicking on channel for program listing) are populated to 8/21 6 PM I assume this is the guide thumbnail issue but I have found that it seems to take a long time after a EPG data download for the guide to fully populate.

Comcast
Salt Lake City

If this epg update is from a couple of days ago it sure did take a long time to get to Utah.

Download time 3:34 PM MDT it did not download yesterday at 3:26 AM, 7:00 AM, 3:43 PM or 7:49 PM nor did it download this morning at 3:21 AM

The EPG data from 8/20 6 PM through 8/21 6 PM was definitely not there until this afternoon

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Oops so mine tells me 10 days when searching I know there is 11 days of data there but the guide listings are not populating.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:29 pm

superdave6653 wrote:Oops so mine tells me 10 days when searching I know there is 11 days of data there but the guide listings are not populating.
I have noticed exactly what you are saying about the guide not showing all of the days....until I exit and re-enter the guide and then it will show the entire guide. Worst case is shut media center down and then retry it but I have not had to do that in a long time.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:25 pm

After removing, rebooting, and re-adding WMC from Windows Features, now I have data for locals and channels 1-99. Still 'No data available' for all of the digital and HD channels.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Ken H wrote:After removing, rebooting, and re-adding WMC from Windows Features, now I have data for locals and channels 1-99. Still 'No data available' for all of the digital and HD channels.
Really need more information to be able to advise. What you did really doesn't do anything. Running reset from the Task library totally resets Media Center and then you'd have to run tv set=up again. Where are you, what are your tuners and who is your service provider. If you're only getting Local (i.e. what is supplied as the OTA guide) then your cable guide is missing. Very likely at the least you'd have to re=run tv set-up but without more information hard to tell.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:42 pm

No new data in today's update again. 10 days of 3 day stale data left.

Not putting more pressure on Rovi doesn't seem to be working.

Comments to them that you'd never buy a TiVo device because of the guide reliability issues from multiple folks might motivate them to put more pressure on Microsoft.

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:58 pm

anotheruser wrote:No new data in today's update again. 10 days of 3 day stale data left.

Not putting more pressure on Rovi doesn't seem to be working.

Comments to them that you'd never buy a TiVo device because of the guide reliability issues from multiple folks might motivate them to put more pressure on Microsoft.
Dear anotheruser,

Is it possible for you to provide any positive feedback on this forum? Negativity breeds negativity and this forum was built on cooperation not division. No one is thrilled about the current status of EPG but as many have said--it is a voluntary module presently. If you continue with idle threats this voluntary module could become a dead module. Can't you put your energy into positive ideas and helpful communication? If not, then please do not write your caustic thoughts in this forum. They help no one.
Kindly,
Theresa

michaeldog

Post by michaeldog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
Ken H wrote:After removing, rebooting, and re-adding WMC from Windows Features, now I have data for locals and channels 1-99. Still 'No data available' for all of the digital and HD channels.
Really need more information to be able to advise. What you did really doesn't do anything. Running reset from the Task library totally resets Media Center and then you'd have to run tv set=up again. Where are you, what are your tuners and who is your service provider. If you're only getting Local (i.e. what is supplied as the OTA guide) then your cable guide is missing. Very likely at the least you'd have to re=run tv set-up but without more information hard to tell.
I actually read this exact "fix" on Microsoft's WMC forum. It was hysterical. Many yelled at the author who received a "solution" for her helpful (not) answer.

Theresa

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:
superdave6653 wrote:Oops so mine tells me 10 days when searching I know there is 11 days of data there but the guide listings are not populating.
I have noticed exactly what you are saying about the guide not showing all of the days....until I exit and re-enter the guide and then it will show the entire guide. Worst case is shut media center down and then retry it but I have not had to do that in a long time.
Thanks the guide eventually fully populated. I may have closed and reopened Media Center. Not sure if I that caused it to populate or if it just got around to completing it's task. But it happened about 7 hours after the EPG download completed. I can now scroll all the way out to Guide end at 4 am on 8/22

Of course now I am back to 10 days again because no update last night or this afternoon

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 am

JohnW248 wrote:Really need more information to be able to advise. What you did really doesn't do anything.
?

You are incorrect.
After removing WMC from Windows Features, rebooting, and re-adding it, you must do a new TV set up again. Which I have done more than once with no different result.
Where are you, what are your tuners and who is your service provider.
I've already posted this info previously; Comcast in Canton, MI, using a CableCARD with an HDHomeRun Prime, Windows 7.
If you're only getting Local (i.e. what is supplied as the OTA guide) then your cable guide is missing.
Bing! Now you're getting it, sort of. But I also have two other PC's on the same local network that also run WMC, and both of them are getting the full guide again. So the one PC is somehow screwed up. I may have to take more drastic steps.

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:22 pm

windows 7 , centon, comporium in SC still no guide data on HD channels and plenty of other channels.