Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:00 am

Space wrote:So if I want to record every show that has, say, "Johnny Depp" on as a guest, I should go to every website of every network everyday and search for any shows where he might be a guest?
Obviously not--but if the data are correct as of the day of the recording, then you will get the recording.

If you don't have current, up to date, data then you can no longer do keyword-type records and expect any kind of dependability.
If the data are correct as of the day of the recording, then you will dependably get the recording.

Plus the data from TiVo leaves much to be desired as it is, they sometimes correct errors a few days before airing.
Which means you'll get your recording.

It can be the difference between not recording your show (because it was "To Be Announced" instead of the correct program) and getting more dependable recordings of the shows you want.
I don't understand. If the data are correct as of the day of the recordings in question, then you will get the recordings in question.

Whether the next day's data, or the next week's data, are accurate or not does not change that. How can next week's data being filled in vs. saying "TBA" mean the difference between recording today's program or not for your keyword recording?

Have you ever missed such recordings because TODAY'S data are inaccurate? (I have--twice.) Are you finding that data continue to be inaccurate even as of the day of recording, causing you to miss recordings? If so, and if you care (after all, it is just TV), you know what the answer is: EPG 123.

I've never had the Rovi guide run out. And the two recordings I've missed since the Rovi takeover were not because of lack of updates, but rather because they miscategorized new shows as being reruns.

I could choose to clutch pearls over the fact of no update today and the guide going out only 11 days instead of 12. But I don't.

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 29, 2017 5:41 am

How many days of data you have is indicative of when the last update occurred.

I don't think most people care about how many days of data they have (personally, I like to have at least 7-8 so I can plan my weekly recording schedule, but that is not what I am complaining about when I say I only have XX days of data left). People do care about not getting the latest updates for the current and next couple days.

Describing how many days of guide data you have left is just a convenient way of indicating how many days you have gone without getting any updates (since each new update of existing data tends to add an additional day of data as well).

If you go too long without any updates, those "To Be Announced" entries that were a week out (so who cares, right?), become the entries that are used for the current day, resulting in missed recordings.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Mon May 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Simply put the more guide data you have the easier it is to schedule recordings due to conflicts etc. Plus, in our area TWC/Spectrum quality of signal is pretty iffy which requires scheduling of movies several times just to get a good copy for future viewing. Also, you must keep in mind that it takes TIVO approx. 2 weeks for schedule changes to occur so you are not just looking at what is happening currently but what they knew the schedule to be 2 weeks ago. Programing changes do occur and as an example I had 2 programs (Movies) setup to record and as soon as the guide updated those 2 programs totally disappeared from the guide. No big deal, right? Well, I could have setup those time slots allocated to the 2 programs that vanished to record other shows that at the time I did not know even existed due to the guide being incorrect.

Any way guide has updated thru 6/10 as of yesterday.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Space wrote:How many days of data you have is indicative of when the last update occurred.
Well, of course. That goes without saying.
I don't think most people care about how many days of data they have (personally, I like to have at least 7-8 so I can plan my weekly recording schedule, but that is not what I am complaining about when I say I only have XX days of data left). People do care about not getting the latest updates for the current and next couple days.
Yes, I can see that. All I'm saying is, I've never missed recordings because an update didn't come down last night or the night before.
If you go too long without any updates, those "To Be Announced" entries that were a week out (so who cares, right?), become the entries that are used for the current day, resulting in missed recordings.
That would mean that you didn't get ANY updates for that week you describe. That's happened...how many times? More importantly, how many times has the solution to that problem been discussed in threads like this?

I must not have anything scheduled to record that frequently changes, or starts out 12 days early as "TBA". Once it's in the guide, it's in the guide.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Folks, lets stay on topic, please. Guide data feedback only.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Tue May 30, 2017 2:27 am

Today's update contains no new data for the second day in a row.

Anybody in contact with Rovi?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Holiday weekend....

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Tue May 30, 2017 3:52 pm

In my memory, when it hits 10 days it doesn't get fixed without intervention..... :problem:

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Wed May 31, 2017 3:44 am

Today's update contains 3 days of new data with actual data to 8 pm EDT on June 12.

and the EPG continues lurching along...

wipster

Post by wipster » Wed May 31, 2017 5:24 am

Newby here. Have had the same issues as discussed in this forum and they are getting worse. Nothing downloads for me and the last update shows an end date of 5/31/17, 6:00 PM, yet as of now there are no listings shown. I live in Kennewick, WA and receive my feed from Charter/Spectrum via a cablecard into my HTPC with 4 tuners. Thanks to all ofyou for staying on top of this and especially to you Sugarfree for actually reaching out to contact Rovi and alert them. I still have a cablebox with DVR, so I'm not in any danger of missing shows, but I do miss my 4 tuners! Also it's good that the vast majority of network shows have had their season finales, so I won't miss any new ones. But this is inconvenient as hell. I can't for the life of me understand why Microsoft or Google has not taken the lead in putting together an awesome HTPC program that incorporates not only multiple DVR capabilities, but Picture in Picture as well, since many people now are just using their HDTV's as monitors! Frankly, as I'm feeding the TV via my PC, I could give a damn if it's smart, as I get my Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc. via a browser (Chrome in my case).

Sorry to go off subject, but if this program guide update situation doesn't straighten itself out, I may be forced to go with EPG123 as well. Hope you all had a good Memorial Day... remember the sacrifices of our troops and hope to whatever deity you worship that we don't need to use them again for something senseless...

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:07 pm

There has been no EPG update for over 40 hours. That's rare as normally failed EPG updates are updates marked as new that don't have new data. There have been less than 5 days with no update in the last year. (I only remember 2).

Wooster, your issue seems unrelated to the flaky EPG updates lately. You should be able to get a download with current schedule data. Right now it should run to June 12. I'd suggest starting a thread of you can't find a solution in an existing thread in the forum for the OS your running. This thread is only for EPG outage discussion and that's not your big issue.

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Every time there is an outage I get a patchwork of guide data when it resumes. That is to say I get no local affiliates guide data (CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and so on) but receive guide data for other cable channels. In this case I just received guide data up to 6-12-2017 for most channels but still have no guide data for locals. So I have to fix this again but the fits and start of the outages are problematic.

wifiwanderer

Post by wifiwanderer » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:50 pm

OTA Fresno-Visalia, California. Just looked at my actual listings, good through 4 PM, 14 June. The EPG 'About' end date was 15 June.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:08 am

wifiwanderer wrote:OTA Fresno-Visalia, California. Just looked at my actual listings, good through 4 PM, 14 June. The EPG 'About' end date was 15 June.
Thanks for posting. Got my update with 2 days of new listings about 2 hours after you. Same end date.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:30 pm

No new updates here. Charter S. Calif (Irwindale node). Last date June 13 6AM. Anybody else or am I in trouble...??

Quazicky

Post by Quazicky » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 pm

No update for me either. Data ends June 9 8pm. (FIOS upstate NY)
I'm not worried yet, but I am keeping an eye on it now.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:50 am

Down to 9 days. That usually means it isn't going to fix itself. It just keeps saying the epg listings are up to date. All processes appear to be working. Would it be too much to ask the wonderful person with the ROVI contact to let them know?

Thanks.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:52 am

mafaldatv wrote:Down to 9 days. That usually means it isn't going to fix itself. It just keeps saying the epg listings are up to date. All processes appear to be working. Would it be too much to ask the wonderful person with the ROVI contact to let them know?

Thanks.
I should have included this is Charter S. Calif. Irwindale node..

Quazicky

Post by Quazicky » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:05 am

Looks like I got my update. Back to 12 days. (FIOS upstate NY)
This outage seems more sporadic than usual. Based on the activity on this board, I don't know that I'd even call it a full outage.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:29 am

This morning I got a new download (dated 6/3/2017 6:34 AM). However, even thought it had a new date, it was the same file as the day before, so no update or new days of listings.