Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
wifiwanderer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by wifiwanderer » Thu May 04, 2017 1:39 am

anotheruser wrote:That brings us up to date with an actual schedule data end at 8 pm EDT on 5/16.
Just checked my listings, good through 16 May, 4 PM, OTA Fresno-Visalia, California.

jimi1000

Post by jimi1000 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:19 am

Sill no dice for me. My un-attentive guard of the EPG in the past was new updates once a week on either Sat/Sun/Mon early mornings EDT for updates in the Philly market of OTA schedules. I have a few folks in various zip's from DE, NJ and PA close to Philly that can back me up on the data.

To use an expression our President likes is "sad" considering MS and Rovi have an office in Malvern and Wayne, PA 20 mi. or less outside Philly.

If they're trolling the board fix it already.

tnx,
Jimi

jimi1000

Post by jimi1000 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:47 am

The Gods have spoken and now data for mindless TV knowledge is upon us. Data has been restored. Thanks Trolls. If you need an engineer that's good give me a ring for the next gig.

Folks, let me know if all is right in the world of MCE EPG listings and goodnight.

Kindly.
jimi

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Thu May 04, 2017 3:15 pm

jimi1000 wrote:The Gods have spoken and now data for mindless TV knowledge is upon us. Data has been restored. Thanks Trolls. If you need an engineer that's good give me a ring for the next gig.

Folks, let me know if all is right in the world of MCE EPG listings and goodnight.

Kindly.
jimi
My guide updated today automatically. Now, hopefully it continues to update every day without skipping updates. I will post back with an update L8R this wk.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Fri May 05, 2017 12:55 am

Today's update contains no new data. Not surprising since it's happened on over half of the last 12 days.

I wish we had some way of contacting whoever's in charge but even our old poor methods seem dead.

Does anyone know if the Xbox One EPG guide has the same reliability issues?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am

anotheruser wrote:Does anyone know if the Xbox One EPG guide has the same reliability issues?
EPG guide? Would that be the electronic program guide guide?

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Fri May 05, 2017 3:42 pm

anotheruser wrote:Today's update contains no new data. Not surprising since it's happened on over half of the last 12 days.

I wish we had some way of contacting whoever's in charge but even our old poor methods seem dead.
I have been able to contact Tivo about the guide issues since they acquired Rovi.

You can create a case on their website.
Here is their contact link: https://business.tivo.com/company/contact.html for the website

I also emailed them about the erratic updates on the guide but have not heard back on the issue yet. I did not create a case for it at this point in hopes that my reply to an earlier email will suffice but if the issue continues through Monday I will create a case for it.

Oh, the most important information is that they know what Microsoft is doing about an issue or let Microsoft know there is an issue. An email I received from them confirmed that.

Hope this helps,
J

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Sat May 06, 2017 1:37 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:

I have been able to contact Tivo about the guide issues since they acquired Rovi.

You can create a case on their website.
Here is their contact link: https://business.tivo.com/company/contact.html for the website
In the meantime, should you wish to reach Tivo by telephone, please feel free to call them at 1-866-686-8947.

I also emailed them about the erratic updates on the guide but have not heard back on the issue yet. I did not create a case for it at this point in hopes that my reply to an earlier email will suffice but if the issue continues through Monday I will create a case for it.

Oh, the most important information is that they know what Microsoft is doing about an issue or let Microsoft know there is an issue. An email I received from them confirmed that.

Hope this helps,
J
I just created the case on Tivo's site for the guide not updating daily.

wifiwanderer

Post by wifiwanderer » Sat May 06, 2017 4:15 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:You can create a case on their website. Here is their contact link: https://business.tivo.com/company/contact.html for the website
Thanks for the valuable link and your efforts to get reliable EPG updates.

ratbrain

Post by ratbrain » Sun May 07, 2017 8:18 am

ive tried running the TV setup over and over with different zip codes around my central zip code with no luck.

i either get an error while guide is downloading, which means that zip code has NO guide data

When i dont get an error and the setup process completes, my guide has no data at all.

it appears that the guide data expired some time ago, when i check the about guide tab.

my guide data looks to have expired 2.17.2017

is there any other work around?

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Mon May 08, 2017 3:58 am

My thanks also to WC_Barmstormer for your efforts to contact Rovi/Microsoft about the reliability issues.

I suspect the root issue is that Rovi data is not reaching Microsoft reliably. Microsoft seems to run their update processing on a daily basis reliably but it's being often run on old Rovi data again and we get an update with no new data.

On Friday we got an update with 3 new days of data taking us up to date with data to 8 pm EDT on May 18.

Unfortunately Saturday and today's updates contained no new data. One immediate impact I noticed was no detail on some of today's games and some of Monday's late night shows.

Still wondering if the Xbox One EPG has the same reliability issues. I suspect they use the same Rovi data transfers and have the same issues.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Mon May 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Just got a response from Tivo on the guide not updating daily... Will post with additional info as it comes in...

Hello,
We are looking into this.
Thanks,
Tivo Support

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Sorry for posting what you think is pointless. I can remedy that very easily.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon May 08, 2017 11:04 pm

I was referring to Tivo's response, not the act of you posting it. :)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Mon May 08, 2017 11:49 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:Sorry for posting what you think is pointless. I can remedy that very easily.
Your update is definitely appreciated.

Just got today's EPG update and for the third day in a row, it contains no new data. Actual schedule data ends on May 18 @ 8 pm EDT.

Bunk_Tuppins

Post by Bunk_Tuppins » Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 am

Same here in Paradise, CA (I use the Chico-Redding package, which I think used to be called Chico-Redding-Paradise). Schedule goes out to May 18 now.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Tue May 09, 2017 3:50 am

New ticket opened on Microsoft connect for the lack of new data since Friday 5/5.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3133930
WMC EPG Not Updating with New Data since 5/5/17 | Microsoft Connect

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 pm

davidhp wrote:New ticket opened on Microsoft connect for the lack of new data since Friday 5/5.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3133930
WMC EPG Not Updating with New Data since 5/5/17 | Microsoft Connect
David, I had opened one also but forgot to post it. I am including it here so we can get both of them up-ticked and gain some traction on the MSFT front.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/3133496

Also, I saw where you had posted to the MS community. Do you know if Barb is still around? I sent her an email on 4/30/17 but have not gotten a reply and I see she has not responded to your posting either. Sure hope we have not lost her too!!

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Tue May 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Just got today's update and it has 4 days of new data up to 8 pm 5/22. That brings us"current" at least for today...

Thanks again for creating tickets and contacting Rovi.

Space

Post by Space » Tue May 09, 2017 11:56 pm

I doubt that Microsoft has done anything to fix this problem (at least not yet). It has been this way for a while now, where we get multiple days of the same repeated data file being download (even though it has an updated timestamp), and then we get a new update that include several days of new data, only to go back to several days of duplicated data downloads once again. We will have to see if we get consistently new data on a daily basis before we declare that anything might have been fixed.