Guide Data Outage - 2017 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
XXXXXXXX

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by XXXXXXXX » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:18 am

So I am down to 4 days of guide listings... is the 800 number above only for TiVo or is that a general number? I am willing to call it... its just that I don't have TiVo.. I use WMC for recording tv programs in my area.

X

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:56 pm

800 # should be for WMC EPG also, but I have not used it yet. The reply was directly from asking Tivo the best method to contact them concerning the WMC EPG. If you call please post your result so we can identify the absolute best method of contacting Tivo concerning the EPG. In the past I have been using all methods that I posted earlier as a blanket approach but it would be nice to narrow it done to one viable reliable way to get help.

Thanks,

AChanceFind

Post by AChanceFind » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:40 pm

My mind is boggled as to why this just keeps on happening. The connect site seems to have a lot less upvotes this time around (not that we know if they do actually look at that site). Also no mentions on twitter. Thanks to everyone who has tried emailing/calling; last time I did I only got replies on twitter and never to the rovi form. Perhaps if we also make some noise on twitter to @microsofthelps and @tivoforbusiness it might help?

I just wish they would tell us once and for all it is dead or not, I really just want to use it as long as possible but it's seeming to me the year 2020 thing might not happen. The guide server is probably some tower PC under someone's desk that no one cares about.

bros

Post by bros » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Yay. It's this time again. Hopefully they fix it this weekend.

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Microsoft is incompetent, plain and simple.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 pm

WC_Barnstormer wrote:
WC_Barnstormer wrote:Tivo Contact Info: 1-866-686-8947

1) https://business.tivo.com/company/contact.html Fill out form selecting User Experience for the EPG

2) metadatasupport@tivo.com DATA Client Services (Best Email Address to use for reporting issues.)

3) salesforceadmin@tivo.com This is the email address that Tivo responds from.

I recommend doing both 1 & 2. 1 creates a case and 2 is direct to the metadata support. Calling and leaving a message is good too.

Hope this helps

I Received a response to the Case I created. I had also asked for proper contact information for reporting these issues to Tivo and was provided with the following information and number:

For product outages and severe service degradation issues that require immediate attention, it is critical for you to report these directly to our support staff by phone.

NORTH AMERICA
(888) 203-2006

Just a quick note. Both 1 and 2 work as Rovi/Tivo has acknowledged both of those contact methods saying it is a Microsoft problem and Microsoft is working to fix it.

bros

Post by bros » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 pm

rickmktg wrote:Microsoft is incompetent, plain and simple.
I know a guy who works there, it's supposed to be hellish

cuafpr

Post by cuafpr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:00 am

well for MS its a product that is basically (if not totally) no longer supported. As much as it sucks seems like without a 3rd party service guide data will likely stay this way. I need to try and stop my media center from a BSOD frequently, but at the same time not sure if its worth it thanks to issues like this which will likely get worse. MS needs to open their eyes and see the potential, it was a product ahead of its time.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:53 am

bros wrote:Yay. It's this time again. Hopefully they fix it this weekend.
And then comes...drum roll, please...the end of Daylight Savings Time.

bros

Post by bros » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:00 am

adam1991 wrote:
at least my dog will be happier going for walks at night - he doesn't like the dark

bcswa

Post by bcswa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:26 am

adam1991 wrote:

Sorry, got to be picky here, think of this as I am looking out for you.

it is Daylight Saving TIme NOT SavingS :)

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am

This is just getting pitiful .. why has Microsoft bailed on this program?
with ATSC 3 coming out in a couple years .. probably 4 to 6 there is
going to be a pretty big change in the way people watch OTA television.

I am a cord cutter and I am compiling an archive of TV that I can revisit long into the future..
I got my Antennas up and rewired a few rooms .. left the cable tv in the wall incase I sell this place

but it makes no sense.. thousands and thousands of people drop cable every year and others dont sign up
so they need a way to record live tv PVR it and Archive it

The other "Projects" out there that do some of this aren't really very good.. they are hobby ventures more than anything.

Sorry I can't base my home entertainment on someone's hobby..

TV is a huge industry.. so what? they want us to stream everything? With Pay Accounts of course.

sorry that is not in my budget.. neither the upgrade of bandwidth or the cost for the subscriptions.

idk i am ranting I guess but its just pitiful that there isn't a better solution
I mean do they even make VCRs anymore.. im thinking no
so then what are you suppose to do for a way to record TV without some pay subscription
or no method to keep the shows for an extended period... thats our legal right to record OTA or Cable or whatever.. but they take away that right for paid streaming.. you can't save that stuff once you saved it and if the company goes out of business or you can't afford their subscription anymore.. or whatever you lose access to it..

blah.. its deliberate...

Side Note just saw that TheCW online watching of their content on their website
just stopped supporting Windows 7 and IE... so

someone needs to stop looking for russian collusion and look into this collusion

WC_Barnstormer

Post by WC_Barnstormer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 pm

ZippyTheChicken wrote:This is just getting pitiful .. why has Microsoft bailed on this program?
Side Note just saw that TheCW online watching of their content on their website
just stopped supporting Windows 7 and IE... so

someone needs to stop looking for russian collusion and look into this collusion
I could not agree with you more. The entire software industry has gone nuts on this subscription deal where they are charging 3 times the current value of the program and then wanting to get that for every year you use "their" software.

I have already started locking down my systems to Win7 and will stay with it until I cannot keep it alive any longer ( I just built 3 identical systems for this reason.) I may end up with a Win10 box but that will be only to surf the web but if the crap MSFT keeps putting out now does not improve that box may very well end up being a Linux box. Who in their right mind can keep up with the MSFT updates for Win10 with all of its variations.

I know this is my personal opinion and I am not trying to start a war, but MSFT needs to wake up to their customers needs.

PS just to stay on topic. WMC EPG has not updated today. Down to 3 days guide, worst I have ever seen at this point.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:02 pm

bcswa wrote:
adam1991 wrote:

And you are correct! Sorry 'bout that. Slip o' the fingers.

John UTAZ

Post by John UTAZ » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 pm

As others have said, this seems to happen on such a regular basis. People shouldn't jump to alternate EPG sources... this might be part of the bigger Microsoft plan of letting this almost expire each year in hopes of driving people away. :D
It is very frustrating to think how close we have come multiple times to not having WMC that so many of us use.
We paid for this service when we acquired the software from Microsoft and they need to do a better job. I think the more that speak up, the more Microsoft might realize this is important software to many users.
I avoided Win 10 just because it didn't have WMC.

superdave6653

Post by superdave6653 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:40 pm

My EPG runs out before prime time on Monday. Essentially 3 days of programming left. Is WMC and it's EPG dead for real now? I had hope for a while but have now lost it.

if I don't have new EPG data by Monday the cable box returns to my media room. Yeah I'll stick with WMC as long as I can use it. But the guide issues make that very unpleasant. I don't like my cable box EPG at all but it is far superior to WMC EPG without data.

MS is already dead to me. The EPG issues have caused me to switch to Ubuntu on all my other computers. Nobody really needs MS Windows. There is nothing that MS Windows can do that Ubuntu can't. MS is already a third tier player behind Android and IOS. MS has lost their dominance causing the chaos which can be perceived as incompetence. What you are seeing at MS is the long slow struggle of a dying company trying to find a way to survive against competition in arenas where they can't compete.

I do NOT believe the EPG issues are part of an EVIL plan by MS to drive us to Win 10. If they wanted to do that all they would have had to do is include native support for WMC in Win 10. But I am equally certain that MS killed and no longer support WMC because streaming is a more efficient way of distributing content. Netflix has proven that.

MS and cable are both losing to mobile technologies. Only a small percentage of the population has access to high bandwidth (over 100 Mbps) internet. Soon mobile users will all have access to multiple gigabit data services. It is far less expensive to build wireless infrastructure.

Yes I want my WMC EPG to work as designed. I just don't expect MS to care enough to make that happen.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm

I tried a manual update and it came back fairly quickly that I had the current guide so it looks like it's still broke.

from what I have been able to read on forums it sounds like anyone that knew anything about WMC has either been reassigned to other projects or have been let go.

it wouldn't surprise me if the people responsible for fixing this are interns that probably were born after the base program was written.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 pm

adam1991 wrote:
bcswa wrote:
adam1991 wrote:

And you are correct! Sorry 'bout that. Slip o' the fingers.
Yeah, but if you start typing: Daylight Sav
Into a google search you’ll find all the auto completes have it “Daylight Savings“
And Dictionary.com says both are acceptable http://www.dictionary.com/e/daylight-saving/

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 am

The Xbox One EPG has had the same issue as WMC but just got a full 13 day update with actual data to 8 pm EDT November 2.

Typically WMC gets the same fix 3-24 hours later. I hope it's in tonight's overnight update.

No guarantee but a high probability based on watching both for a few months.

We've got to start complaining sooner about outages given how long they're taking to fix them. I also think it gets more reliable when they know even brief outages get complaints.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:03 am

It's going to be one manic Monday beginning at 8pm next week. I can't wait to read 50 more pages on this thread!
Damn you Microsoft!