Lethal Weapon Fox 31.1 Denver

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
mogulman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Lethal Weapon Fox 31.1 Denver

Post by mogulman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:31 pm

I noticed that this series hasn't recorded on my WMC 8.1 HTPC since 10/20. It looks like there have been 2-3 episodes and there is a new episodes scheduled for 11/30. When I go to the series, it shows this episode as a repeat though. Is there some way of reporting this, these days?

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:20 pm

This is a problem that has existed for at least over a year, it is probably due to incorrect (or missing) OAD (Original Air Date). I've "fixed" it on my Windows Media Center machine by setting almost all Series recordings to New & Rerun. I advise everyone to do this as I doubt Rovi/TiVo will fix this issue any time soon.

On WMC, setting a Series to New & Rerun and specifying a specific channel will cause WMC to record every episode of that show that airs on that channel. It will not record the same episode twice, so you do not have to worry about it recording old episodes that you already recorded.

The only problem with this method is that if the show has older episodes that you do not want to record, but your Series has never recorded them in the past, it will want to record them. But this problem is minimized or eliminated for prime-time broadcast network shows since they rarely air repeats from other seasons (and you will have most likely already recorded any repeats from the current season, so they will not be recorded again).

The biggest problem with this method is when recording cable shows that have a lot of repeats of old shows that are on the same channel as the new airings. For these, using "New & Rerun" can be more hassle than it's worth and you may need to just use the "New only" option and live with the occasional missed NEW shows, or keep an eye on the schedule to make sure no NEW episodes are missed.

I am not that familiar with how TiVo works in this regard, but I believe it works similarly to WMC in that it will not record the same episode twice.

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm

If you set it for New & Rerun... If I record an episode and then delete it.. will it re-record it? Will it remember that it was already recorded some time in the past?

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:13 pm

No, it will not re-record it. A history of all previously recorded episodes is maintained by WMC along with the Series (in the database), so even if you delete the recording it will not re-record that same episode.

This history is associated with the Series, so if you delete the Series for that show, then the history is also deleted. If you re-create the Series for that show, it will start out with an empty recorded episode history.

Also, if a Series is scheduled to record an episode, and you select the "Do not record" option, that also adds that episode to the history of episodes to not record, so it will also not be recorded in the future (by that Series).

Note that this feature depends on the guide data being correct, so there is always the possibility that an episode will be recorded more than once if the identifying information in the guide data differs from when it recorded the episode previously. Also, WMC will always record episodes that do not have any episode specific information (just have generic information about the show and not specific information about the episode).