Unable to download initial guide data

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Judgeless

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to download initial guide data

Post by Judgeless » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I just rebuilt a WMC machine and it will not let me retrieve the guide info the first time. I read a lot of solutions and tried them all. It still does not work.

I think the issue is that data.tvdownload.microsoft.com is not working. I tried Open DNS, Google DNS and my providers DNS. I also tried 'Looking Glass' that lets you ping from many cities all over the world. A ping always fails.

I am looking for a valid IP for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com that I can use in my hosts file.

65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com seems to be the popular one but if you ping 65.55.5.170 it will fail

Thanks

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Judgeless wrote:I just rebuilt a WMC machine and it will not let me retrieve the guide info the first time. I read a lot of solutions and tried them all. It still does not work.

I think the issue is that data.tvdownload.microsoft.com is not working. I tried Open DNS, Google DNS and my providers DNS. I also tried 'Looking Glass' that lets you ping from many cities all over the world. A ping always fails.

I am looking for a valid IP for data.tvdownload.microsoft.com that I can use in my hosts file.

65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com seems to be the popular one but if you ping 65.55.5.170 it will fail

Thanks
From the workarounds.txt with 8.8.1 update on Windows 10, As it will apply to every verson of WMC (7,8, 10 hack)

1.Open notepad (right click> run as administrator)

2.Open host file ( File>open> c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

3.Add this to the end of the file-
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

and place one of the below ip addresses depending on your location in the US
west coast or east coast
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
central or southern us
65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com

ex. If you lived on the east coast you would add this to the bottom of the file:
65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

roblanderson

Post by roblanderson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:35 pm

I also don't have any guide data. I"m on a Windows 7 machine that has been running without issue for several years. Now today I suddenly don't have any guide data.

I've tried editing the hosts file as suggested with both of the IPs for coastal or central locations and neither made a difference.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:01 am

Judgeless wrote:I just rebuilt a WMC machine and it will not let me retrieve the guide info the first time. I read a lot of solutions and tried them all. It still does not work.

Thanks
It may take a few tries for the initial guide info download to work.

I had to reinstall one machine about two months ago, and the initial download took four or five tries before it successfully downloaded.