Blank space in EPG

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
oakley516

HTPC Specs: Show details

Blank space in EPG

Post by oakley516 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:19 pm

I've never seen this happen before. I was looking at this evening's guide for shows to record, and noticed that on CBS at 8:30pm, there is a just a blank space in the guide.

I checked on zap2it, and it's supposed to be a show called The Great Indoors. It's the first episode of the show, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I've never seen it before:

Anyone have the same issue?
wmc1027.jpg

Space

Post by Space » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:26 pm

This has happened many times in the past. Although this one is fine on my system.

Sometimes it is caused by overlapping shows and you can still see the show by moving the guide to the right (so that the gap is no longer on the screen) and then moving back to the left. The gap will now have the missing show in it (but it will be overlapping one or both of the neighboring shows).

In this instance, it may be that the gap is from 8:31-9:01, but the show is from 8:30-9:00 causing it to overlap (by 1 minute) the preceding show.

You can still set the show to record, but it will record from 8:30-9:00 instead of the correct time (starting and ending 1 minute later).

It is possible that the source data had this mistake or that somehow an update failed to work. One time this problem was seen and it affected both epg123 users as well as Rovi users, and it was verified to be a source data problem.

EDIT: My guide just got a new update (Rovi) and I see this problem now. The slot is 8:31-9:01 and the show is 8:30-9:01, so it overlaps 1 minute at the beginning. The method I described above to get the show to appear in the grid does work in this instance.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 am

Thanks for the info. I read your comment after the show time, so I didn't get a chance to use your solution. I thought I tried moving to the right and then moving back and it persisted, but I can't be sure now.

I wound up setting the show before it to record for an extra half hour.

It's good to know that I'm not alone...I had never noticed this happening before.