On The Fly Schedule Updates

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
SpiritualMadMan

HTPC Specs: Show details

On The Fly Schedule Updates

Post by SpiritualMadMan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:34 pm

What I mean by, "On The Fly Schedule Updates", is the ability for updating a recordings time when "The Voice" or football goes over the scheduled time...

I can't tell you how often I've gone to bed expecting my favorite show to be recorded only to find out the next day that it is either missing entirely or only half there.

"On The Fly Schedule Updates", would make this EPG123 and Schedules Direct worth a lot more than the current asking price. :)

Is this even possible? Even if the system would have to add a follow-on recording it would be a big help.

Or, perhaps we could add a list of known infringers and have an automatic follow-on "safety recording automatically added?

rkulagow

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by rkulagow » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:47 pm

From the Schedules Direct side this is very, very difficult, because think about what happens if a sporting event goes long:

- the broadcaster can use a filler / extended sports discussion with talking heads to get to the next top of hour / bottom of hour.
- the broadcaster can join the previously scheduled program in progress
- the broadcaster can just start the schedule immediately and not have a TOH / BOH start time

Every affiliate does something different.

But, Schedules Direct offers a service where an application can query "is a sporting event still running". If the program goes long, then the application can extend the recording. I don't know if MCE can take advantage of that sort of thing.