Failed to retrieve nettv

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
tommyboy3816

HTPC Specs: Show details

Failed to retrieve nettv

Post by tommyboy3816 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:34 am

There was a show I wanted to record but it was like 12 days away. I started scanning the guide to find it to record, but I noticed the last listings I had are Tuesday, Sept 27, 2016 at 7pm CDT. I've tried to manually force the download, but I see the following in the Media Center Event Viewer...

10:27:58 PM - Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)

Anyone else have this problem? I tried on 2 PCs, same issue with same date. One one PC, I ran the task to corrupt the WMC to force a rerun of the initial setup wizard. No help!!

Thanks in advance
Luke

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:49 am

tommyboy3816 wrote:There was a show I wanted to record but it was like 12 days away. I started scanning the guide to find it to record, but I noticed the last listings I had are Tuesday, Sept 27, 2016 at 7pm CDT. I've tried to manually force the download, but I see the following in the Media Center Event Viewer...

10:27:58 PM - Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)

Anyone else have this problem? I tried on 2 PCs, same issue with same date. One one PC, I ran the task to corrupt the WMC to force a rerun of the initial setup wizard. No help!!

Thanks in advance
Luke
The nettv failure has been happening for a very long time. It's due to the discontinued net TV stuff WMC used to offer. It has no effect on the guide data download from Microsoft. However Microsoft is experiencing yet another guide data outage so until it is fixed you won't be getting new EPG data from Microsoft. See the thread in this forum discussing the outage.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:10 am

I'm suddenly getting this same error.

Am I alone or this yet another EPG outage? :(

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 am

Try reading the post immediately above yours.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:52 am

Gee, I never thought of that. :roll:

I fixed WMC long ago to obtain the new EPG, and the described problem above was occuring last September. I have not been having this problem since September so apparently, that particular outage was brief.

I'm asking if it's back AGAIN.

anotheruser

Post by anotheruser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Short answer is EPG data from MS/Rovi is currently available with data through April 3 @ 8 pm EDT. Check the sticky thread for outages. New Spring thread just started. Older reports in Winter thread.

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Hmm, thanks. It appears I'm having an unrelated problem that requires a new thread. :(

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:50 pm

I know this is an extremely old post (nearly a full year to the day) but I'm also getting this error in my "Event Viewer" log and I'd like to get rid of it (b/c I'm eliminating errors to solve a different issue.)

Other than the error in my log, it is causing no discernible problem. My Guide is updating just fine. WMC works just fine. So why the error?

I simply need to resolve this "error" so I can eliminate it as a potential cause of an unrelated problem. Any help is appreciated. TIA.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Mugsy wrote:I know this is an extremely old post (nearly a full year to the day) but I'm also getting this error in my "Event Viewer" log and I'd like to get rid of it (b/c I'm eliminating errors to solve a different issue.)

Other than the error in my log, it is causing no discernible problem. My Guide is updating just fine. WMC works just fine. So why the error?

I simply need to resolve this "error" so I can eliminate it as a potential cause of an unrelated problem. Any help is appreciated. TIA.
Everybody gets this error and there is really no way to eliminate it other than stop WMC from doing any downloads/updates. As stated above, the nettv feature (Internet TV) was discontinued a long time ago. It looks like MS decided not to remove it from the downloads/updates since there is no harm other than an entry in the event log.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Mugsy

Post by Mugsy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Okay. Thx.