WARNING to all users of Rovi EPG on WMC

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

WARNING to all users of Rovi EPG on WMC

Post by Space » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 am

There has been discussion over on the TiVo community boards that many people are seeing "To Be Announced" on an excessively large amount of shows and even entire channels. I checked these instances on tvguide.com and tv.com and starting tomorrow (9/14) am seeing that some channels completely disappear on tvguide.com and on tv.com they just say "To Be Announced".

I think that this issue will also affect WMC users when they get the next update (some of you may have already been affected).

For now, I have disabled updates on my system by putting the following in my c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file (remove any other reference to these domains if you have them in there from previous Windows server issues):

Code: Select all

0.0.0.0   data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0   cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com
I THINK this should cause WMC to not be able to find the windows servers to download the new guide update.

If anyone else knows of a better way to do this, let me know.

Some of the channels affected are:

USA
BBC America
FXX
AMC
HBO
LAFF
CBS
NBC
MSG
CNBC
MSNBC
TBS
BRAVO
Disney XD
Disney Jr.

And these are just the ones I spot checked during prime-time for tomorrow and the following day.

I'd advise that you block your WMC box from connecting until this issue is resolved.

If you use EPG123 with Schedules Direct/Gracenote data, this issue will not affect you, so no need to do anything.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:24 am

Space thanks for that. Any reason you are not using EPG123 yet?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Space

Post by Space » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 am

This mess-up might be the motivator to do so!

Example of what TiVo users are seeing:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... st10998816

Missing late night talk shows on the major networks, Fear the Walking Dead is missing on Sunday, etc...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:10 am

Now is the time to do it before all the fall premieres start. That was the motivator for me last year to start working on something like epg123 ...
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:45 pm

WMC ran the automatic daily update this morning, and fortunately I don't see any issues. Tivo supposedly says it's fixed as well and Tivo users should get fixed within 24 hours/when they pull data.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:40 pm

yeah, I checked my guide this morning (OTA) and didn't see any issues.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:20 am

But honestly, you really should just migrate to EPG123/SD and benefit from its benefits. Really, why continue with Rovi?

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:30 am

I jumped on here just to vent some. The massive TBA is resolved. However, Rovi still has it's occasional TBA and incorrect guide data. It's amazing how many people on the tivocommunity.com forum think that Rovi/TiVo will have their guides corrected and with good data in the next few days or few weeks. They just don't realize how poor Rovi listings are, and how slow Rovi is to update listings. There's a few of us ex WMC users there trying to point out the poor quality of the listings, but there are many more Rovi/TiVo cheerleaders. I almost can't wait until we're half way into the fall season, to see many of them turn and sour on Rovi.

The massive TBA issue was on many channels, and was fixed fairly quick. The cheerleaders think that since that issue was resolved quickly and since Rovi is also actively addressing lineup issues, that Rovi will somehow address all the other guide issues in the same timely manner.

It's actually funny reading some of the posts, such as "I'd like to say Rovi is staffed by trained monkeys, but, I'm beginning to think their not all that well trained".