Guide issues with OTA + CableCARD

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
someperson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide issues with OTA + CableCARD

Post by someperson » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:18 pm

For 7 years, we relied on WMC to receive OTA TV through an antenna connected to two tuner cards. However, not too long ago, we had some new neighbors move in upstairs, and it seems that something they are doing seriously hurts our TV reception on certain channels (including PBS, which we heavily watch). Unable to do anything to resolve this, we started getting cable TV from Comcast through an HDHomeRun Prime. This works great.

However, there are a few OTA stations here in Houston not carried by Comcast that we sometimes actually watch. As such, when I set up the new lineup in WMC, I left a few OTA channels in the lineup. This was fine for a couple of weeks or so, but now the OTA channels are showing "No data available".

The problem literally only affects the OTA channels; the cable channels are showing data just fine. I can only think of one potential cause (though I haven't tested it): when I was running TV setup, I had to change the zipcode from 77001 to my actual zipcode of 77025. I was using 77001 before because of problems with the guide right after Microsoft switched to Rovi, and I had to change it because otherwise Comcast wouldn't show up as a cable provider I could select.

What should I do?

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Open task scheduler.
Expand Library>Microsoft >Windows> Media Center (just have Media Center highlighted)
Right-click on ObjectstorerecoveryTask and select run
Wait...
It should come back.

My guide data always does this after a guide data outage (which some are reporting right now, see the guide data thread). You may have to wait until the current outage is cleared up before you get the data.

WARNING - others have said this makes them have to re setup their system. I've never had to resetup my system with it, but I wanted to make you aware of the possibility.

someperson

Post by someperson » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:58 pm

dkrom wrote:Open task scheduler.
Expand Library>Microsoft >Windows> Media Center (just have Media Center highlighted)
Right-click on ObjectstorerecoveryTask and select run
Wait...
It should come back.

My guide data always does this after a guide data outage (which some are reporting right now, see the guide data thread). You may have to wait until the current outage is cleared up before you get the data.

WARNING - others have said this makes them have to re setup their system. I've never had to resetup my system with it, but I wanted to make you aware of the possibility.
This seems to have inverted my problem! I now have data for the OTA channels, but the cable channels are showing "No data available"... wtf?!

EDIT: I ran the normal "Get Latest Guide Listings" within WMC, and now everything has data. Thanks! I hope it lasts.

someperson

Post by someperson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:59 am

It has happened again. OTA channels are showing "No data available". Cable channels are fine. How can I fix this permanently?

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:53 am

someperson wrote:It has happened again. OTA channels are showing "No data available". Cable channels are fine. How can I fix this permanently?
Convert your WMC setup to use free EPG123 (and an annual $25 subscription to Schedules Direct), and do away with your dependence on Microsoft's Guide service which now utilizes significantly inferior Rovi instead of the "acceptable" Zap2it which had been used for the previous 7 years.

You can give EPG123 a try (with a free 1-month trial subscription to Schedules Direct) and see how you like it. See if it resolves your zipcode-specific issues with your local OTA channels. MANY of us longtime WMC users have made the switch and are simply overjoyed with the benefits.

EPG123 has its own sub-forum, and is supported "parentally" by its author. It's brilliant, and Schedules Direct is far superior to Rovi.

someperson

Post by someperson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:58 pm

DSperber wrote:Convert your WMC setup to use free EPG123 (and an annual $25 subscription to Schedules Direct), and do away with your dependence on Microsoft's Guide service which now utilizes significantly inferior Rovi instead of the "acceptable" Zap2it which had been used for the previous 7 years.

You can give EPG123 a try (with a free 1-month trial subscription to Schedules Direct) and see how you like it. See if it resolves your zipcode-specific issues with your local OTA channels. MANY of us longtime WMC users have made the switch and are simply overjoyed with the benefits.

EPG123 has its own sub-forum, and is supported "parentally" by its author. It's brilliant, and Schedules Direct is far superior to Rovi.
This appears to be an issue with WMC, not the data from Rovi. I fail to see how switching to a different data provider would therefore make any difference.

I also have no way of knowing if this would even work. Since I wasted the free Schedules Direct trial years ago when I was playing with MythTV and some other programs, I would have to pay $25 for just to try something that may or may not solve my problem. I'm going to need more than that before I plop down money.

There has got to be a way to get this stupid thing to work.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 am

The way I see it you just got $50 worth of free advice, $25 for a subscription should be a drop in the bucket.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 am

someperson wrote:
DSperber wrote:Convert your WMC setup to use free EPG123 (and an annual $25 subscription to Schedules Direct), and do away with your dependence on Microsoft's Guide service which now utilizes significantly inferior Rovi instead of the "acceptable" Zap2it which had been used for the previous 7 years.

I also have no way of knowing if this would even work. Since I wasted the free Schedules Direct trial years ago when I was playing with MythTV and some other programs, I would have to pay $25 for just to try something that may or may not solve my problem.
Create a new SD account with a dummy email address. Another 7 day trial!
Request an extension of your 7-day trial. See below. :-)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 am

I would prefer not opening multiple accounts. If you had a Schedules Direct account in the past and would like to try again with EPG123, please send an email to rkulagow@gmail.com and we can re-open. I would need to know the name of the account or email.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:23 am

someperson wrote:This appears to be an issue with WMC, not the data from Rovi. I fail to see how switching to a different data provider would therefore make any difference.
In this case, it is not so much the data that benefits you, but the separation from MS/Rovi. With MS/Rovi, you are not in control of what channels/lineups are downloaded or even what channels are in your lineup. By breaking that connection and using epg123, you will always get the guide data for all the channels regardless of your lineup (OTA/Cable/Satellite).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:11 am

You can lead a horse to water....

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:50 pm

...but a pencil must be lead.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Beitie

Post by Beitie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Actually Rovi works very well for me. Though when WMC went from the change over from Zap2it to Rovi, I sent them a huge file with all the local station info (including frequency and station ID number, call sign, ect), and they compiled it all very well, and gave me a great experience.

OP, your issue is that you're trying to run a mixture of OTA and Cable, and that's confusing the EPG. You could try finding the guide tool and manually applying the guide data to the OTA channels, but from what I can tell, the Guide Tool program has always been temporary fix.

You could try contacting rovi and explaining your situation. They might compile a Cable and OTA data package. If you give them all the proper info, they can be pretty helpful.

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:55 am

If your channels are showing no guide data available, you may need to tell WMC which listing it should be looking at. I just recently got rid of cable card (wife wanted to save money so we are using slingtv), and I currently only have internet. I am getting clearQAM channels though getting the guide to work was the tricky part.

If you open up the guide to the channel that has no data and right click on the channel name/number, than go to edit channels. From here I believe there is editing listing (sorry bored at work and going from memory right now). There you will see a large list of channels, all you need to do is scroll to the correct channel, select and save.

That should fix any of the missing guide data.

bcswa

Post by bcswa » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Beitie wrote:Actually Rovi works very well for me. Though when WMC went from the change over from Zap2it to Rovi, I sent them a huge file with all the local station info (including frequency and station ID number, call sign, ect), and they compiled it all very well, and gave me a great experience.

OP, your issue is that you're trying to run a mixture of OTA and Cable, and that's confusing the EPG. You could try finding the guide tool and manually applying the guide data to the OTA channels, but from what I can tell, the Guide Tool program has always been temporary fix.

You could try contacting rovi and explaining your situation. They might compile a Cable and OTA data package. If you give them all the proper info, they can be pretty helpful.
Can you give a few more pointers on this and also what was is the best way to contact Rovi ?
Thanks

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:19 pm

bcswa wrote: and also what was is the best way to contact Rovi ?
ipgcustomersupport@rovicorp.com
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct