Rovi Guide Displays Incorrect Time Zone On Some Channels

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Goodguy6

HTPC Specs: Show details

Rovi Guide Displays Incorrect Time Zone On Some Channels

Post by Goodguy6 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 pm

My problem is that the wrong time zone is used on some channels. I live in Pacific time zone, but the Rovi guide displays program info for the Eastern time zone on only some channels. So while channels like CNN have the correct program info, other channels like TNT & TBN display Eastern time programs. So once I see a program I want to record, I have to go back 3 hours and record what seems to be the wrong program, in order to get the correct one. This issue has happened from at least TWO different Cable systems in two different zip code areas.

My equipment: Dell tower with Windows 7 and Hauppauge tuner. There are no entries on the Hosts file.

So why is this happening, and how do I fix it? I did not have this issue before the switch to the Rovi guide.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:25 am

This appears to be an issue with the lineup having some of the channel assigned to the east coast feed instead of the west coast one.
You would have to contact Rovi to get this fixed. Here are some ways to contact them:

Web: http://www.rovicorp.com/company/contact.html
Email: ipgcustomersupport@rovicorp.com
Phone: 1-800-725-1233

Goodguy6

Post by Goodguy6 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:27 pm

Wow! It's hard to believe that Rovi could have such an error for over a YEAR without responding to user requests to fix such a basic mistake!!

Anyone know of a work-around for this issue? Have you seen anything posted about this? It seems like a very fundamental issue to remain unfixed for so long.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Goodguy6 wrote:Anyone know of a work-around for this issue?
Switch to EPG123.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Rovi has a bad reputation for keeping lineups up to date, it's just how it is (at least for now). I have to believe that this will improve once TiVo is using Rovi data, if only because they will be getting many more complaints/reports of bad lineups.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:29 am

I was strongly considering going to Roamio before RoVi bought TiVo. I think most mergers end up with the attributes of the least common denominator, obviously RoVi in this case.

I wonder how long Macrovision/eMeta/RoVi/TiVo will stick with the TiVo name before having to flee reputation to yet another name.

Goodguy6

Post by Goodguy6 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:56 am

Well, it certainly looks like there's nothing I can adjust or add to my setup to resolve this issue. Not willing to go with the other guide. Amazed that Rovi would not fix so fundamental a problem for so long. I suspect there's something else going on, but no one on this board seems to know what it is.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:19 am

Not so much nobody knows what's going on ... it's just the incompetence at MS/Rovi no longer amazes anyone. One thing you can try is use GuideTool to match the channels with another lineup that may have the correct timezone. I've found that a satellite feed may have both the eastern and pacific schedules. A manual match may set you up with the correct schedule.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io