WMC guide will not update

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Scott J

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC guide will not update

Post by Scott J » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Hello. About 3 days ago WMC stopped updating the guide listings on my system or at least I'm unable to. I have a Ceton card installed on my win7 machine and have been trouble free with this setup the last 2 1/2 years of use. When I start WMC on my computer and try to update the guide, WMC at times will stop and restart itself. Other times the small notification box on the lower right says it was unable to download the guide.

I have been googling for answers but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I was going to do a system restore in hopes that might work although I have made no changes to this computer in recent time.

Can one of you fine folks help me out here?

Thanks!

bananapeal

Post by bananapeal » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello,

I am currently bashing my head against WMC and hd homerun prime not finding tuners... here's something i've tried that you might too. Comes from another forum.

Shortcut to Completely Reset Media Center

Sometimes, especially when lots of problems show up, it is easier to reset Media Center and start over to make sure everything is working in concert together. To do a Media Center reset, perform the following:

1. Please close WMC and open Task Scheduler (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler
2. Expand Task Scheduler Library, the Microsoft, and click on Media Center
3. Right click on MediaCenterRecoveryTask and choose Run. You will not get any indication of anything happening.
4. Open WMC. It will tell you that a serious error occurred, and take you to the initial setup screen
5. Go through the TV setup wizard to set up your tuners, channel lineup, etc.

source: https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12216

there's other guides there for wmc config that isnt specific to this hardware.

good luck!

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Scott J wrote:Hello. About 3 days ago WMC stopped updating the guide listings on my system or at least I'm unable to. I have a Ceton card installed on my win7 machine and have been trouble free with this setup the last 2 1/2 years of use. When I start WMC on my computer and try to update the guide, WMC at times will stop and restart itself. Other times the small notification box on the lower right says it was unable to download the guide.

I have been googling for answers but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I was going to do a system restore in hopes that might work although I have made no changes to this computer in recent time.

Thanks!
This has been a problem with Rovi (built-in guide provider) for a year or so. See this thread:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9026

Many, including me, have switched to an alternative provider... EPG123 (no more guide problems and better guide data):

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=99

Scott J

Post by Scott J » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:11 am

Thanks for the help! I was able to get things back to normal and the guide is back. One question about EPG123, does it work with extenders? I'll read more about it and would assume it does so this could be a stupid question.

Thanks again and I'm glad I found this site. I'll be back.

Sorry I posted in the wrong area the first time.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:16 am

Scott J wrote:Hello. About 3 days ago WMC stopped updating the guide listings on my system or at least I'm unable to. I have a Ceton card installed on my win7 machine and have been trouble free with this setup the last 2 1/2 years of use. When I start WMC on my computer and try to update the guide, WMC at times will stop and restart itself. Other times the small notification box on the lower right says it was unable to download the guide.

Thanks!
You could also try running the Media Center ObjectStoreRecovery task in case your guide database has gotten corrupted.
See post 1544 in this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... start=1540
for how to find the Media center tasks then run ObjectStoreRecovery task.

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Scott J wrote:Thanks for the help! I was able to get things back to normal and the guide is back. One question about EPG123, does it work with extenders? I'll read more about it and would assume it does so this could be a stupid question.

Thanks again and I'm glad I found this site. I'll be back.

Sorry I posted in the wrong area the first time.
Yes, is works fine with my 4 XBox 360 extenders!