Guide Data Outage - Fall 2016 Edition

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 am

Indiana Bright House Cable.

My EPG still ends 9/25/'16 (Today) 7 PM. :(

But i just noticed that all channels, EXCLUDING HD channels, are updated threw October 6th. Mysterious? :?:

No HD would still be like no TV. I could watch OTA, that is also HD i guess; but that means no Cable channels because in low res they would suk.

overall this suk suk suks.

vent complete. :) *fingers crossed fixed by Monday*

PS
i called the 888 num in post #102 and they first asked the Device i'm using; after i had first said upon their answering the phone, that my DVR(s) had Meta Data problems; then answered their first question by saying, my DVRs were connected to a WMC HTPC; then they explained it was all about being 100% M$ fault. (i was nice and gracious to the gentleman, didn't challenge anything he said and wished him a great weekend and said good-bye.) But Tivo owns the EPG providing company now, right? And they can't assume any responsibility? Sad to see how wat was once so close to going away years ago (passing-the-buck) is now policy of companies. They should be ashamed of their lack of professionalism. Street vendors are more trustworthy these days!
Last edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

prje

Post by prje » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:58 am

Space wrote:One thing I noticed with the latest update is that almost all of the "Music Choice" channels now say "No data available" in the program space instead of having a bunch of blocks of programs saying "Music Choice Rock", "Music Choice Alternative", etc. The only one that has a program listed is "Music Choice Love Songs" and it is just one 24 hour program on 9/24 from 4am-4am and is also "No data available" after that.
Same here Verizon FIOS 02043

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:37 am

Suggestion for those with channels that have missing data, run the ObjectStoreRecovery task in the Task Scheduler. I have to run it every time there is an outage because all my OTA sub channels report No Data. The task clears the old data with missing data and then does a full download of the guide. Just make sure you let it run until it's done. It fixes mine every time.

**Some people report that objectstorerecovery resets their media center and they have to go through setting everything up again, while I've never had to go through setup again I thought you should be aware. Either way the guide data was fixed after the task.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:59 am

dkrom wrote:Suggestion for those with channels that have missing data, run the ObjectStoreRecovery task in the Task Scheduler. I have to run it every time there is an outage because all my OTA sub channels report No Data. The task clears the old data with missing data and then does a full download of the guide. Just make sure you let it run until it's done. It fixes mine every time.

**Some people report that objectstorerecovery resets their media center and they have to go through setting everything up again, while I've never had to go through setup again I thought you should be aware. Either way the guide data was fixed after the task.
i did it twice the past three days. And both times i lost all EPG listings (was good threw 9/25) and had to run a full Image restoration to get back to were the EPG was before i attempted the the ObjectStoreRecovery task. I believe all else was fine. But without a full Image backup it should be advised to only proceed with utmost caution and a full backup 1st. And you don't want to screw-up Playready file. My Playready files are stored on a different drive and they're safe there.

Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:13 pm

Will Pittenger wrote:Well, I tried rebooting. It acts like the server is down. But i don't have the domain to try accessing it manually. MS didn't finally pull the plug on EPG data did they? I hope not. WMC is the only software that works with Comcast's DRM requirements.
Update on my end: I did get an update, but it looks horrible. Data for most channels ends in a few hours. Data for other channels appears to continue into October. So is this better? Maybe. But only in a limited manner.
Will Pittenger

xxfury2xx

Post by xxfury2xx » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Bee_Dee_3_Dee wrote:Indiana Bright House Cable.

My EPG still ends 9/25/'16 (Today) 7 PM. :(

But i just noticed that all channels, EXCLUDING HD channels, are updated threw October 6th. Mysterious? :?:

No HD would still be like no TV. I could watch OTA, that is also HD i guess; but that means no Cable channels because in low res they would suk.
I have the exact same problem. The SD channels seem to have guide data out a few days, but all of my HD channels have no guide data. Ugh, this needs to get fixed by tomorrow morning, otherwise I'll miss out on recording some of my favorite shows...

Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:19 pm

rickmktg wrote:Thank you to the moderator for moving this to a Fall 2016 thread.

Also, it is mindblowing that a moderator on another forum is the only contact to Microsoft to remedy this issue time and time again, and that Microsoft doesn't even monitor their own feedback forum. https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback

"Barb" needs to get her contacts to realize that this is not a professional way to do things, and that someone should either be reviewing their Microsoft Connect site or take the freakin' thing down. It has broken links all over it also.

Having this happen 3 or 4 times a year is total garbage.
Well, it is a discontinued product that MS thinks everyone is happy to replace with a mere DVD player. If you look under https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... /windows_7 at the Windows Topics drop box, WMC isn't listed. And that's the Windows 7 forum. It's like MS forgot about WMC. Ironically, IE still has a top-level forum.
Will Pittenger

3ton

Post by 3ton » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:59 pm

I got an update to the fixed update. The information for certain shows was updated. I get OTA channels only.

rickmktg

Post by rickmktg » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 pm

As of today I have data through 10/6 at 8PM, file is dated 9/24 and 8:06PM.

I emailed Rovi and got a case number, making the case that they need to get this locked up with Microsoft.
Moved to W10 and NPVR in December 2019. Bye.

Mark G

Post by Mark G » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi everybody.

I ran the ObjectStoreRecovery and had to then run through the complete setup again. The problem is now it won't configure my ATI tuner. It will setup my OTA and I do get the guide for that but it won't configure the ATI. I reran the Digital Cable advisor again and that didn't make any difference. Any ideas what I should do next? I'm using Bright House Tampa Bay.

Thanks in advance.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Rivo became aware of this issue...when? Thursday afternoon?

They've had precious little time, in business hours, to fix this. My guess it won't be until Tuesday morning at the earliest before most issues are ironed out.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 pm

My EPG has been updating normally now for two days with Cox Cable and OTA in Las Vegas Nevada. The only other problem I have (but I have this problem all time is that I get no
program information for 5 sub channels in Las Vegas 6.2 This TV, 8.3 Movies!, 9.4 COZI, 12.1 MYLV TV, and 21.2 Antenna TV). This has been a problem since ROVI took over from the previous guide provider.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:21 pm

adam1991 wrote:Rivo became aware of this issue...when? Thursday afternoon?

They've had precious little time, in business hours, to fix this. My guess it won't be until Tuesday morning at the earliest before most issues are ironed out.
agreed.

i'm 99% confident it won't be Monday morning (hope i'm wrong) or anytime Monday. Tuesday does seems logical. i will call them and email them 2marro and Tuesday if need be and be very nice, speak to as many ppl as i can, take names, be inquisitive and take as much of their time as possible.

spyke562

Post by spyke562 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey guys...I am on Comcast in Wilmington Delaware and my guide data is half working. Some channels like my standard ones are working but the same ones in HD higher up in the guide show no data available. Is the consensus that everyone's is getting updated eventually or is this how it is.

Without guide data my WMC is pretty useless. I am hoping I don't have to go back to set top box.

Thanks for any information...

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:43 pm

adam1991 wrote:Rivo became aware of this issue...when? Thursday afternoon?

Um, I think I've read that you use OTA, and have never lost your guide (more importantly, all your scheduled series and individual recordings).

I understand your previous post about "value proposition", but for those of us with digital cable, and a gazillion channels, the native 7mc guide has become poison. Even when "they" (whoever they are) keep it updated, it now can hang when we call it up or try to scroll forward.

I don't think there is a big enough iron to get rid of the wrinkles with Microsoft's 7mc guide support.

But I think we are lucky. Microsoft is too big to pull a "sonic blue".

In addition, we don't know if the problem is with Rivo, whose support people claim to provide just "metadata" and an API, or possibly the Microsoft employees that have been relegated to support a dead product.

bahamabum

Post by bahamabum » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Did I miss something where the guide data was going away?? Seems root cause on them is the error:

Event ID 0 Failed to retrieve nettv Error package name invalid.

No more tv at this house :( No guide data anywhere :(

[Moderator note: topic merged; search before posting]

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:15 am

I have the same problem. No guide data starting tonight. Maybe it has something to do with the switch over from Brighthouse Networks to Charter

dbbowser

Post by dbbowser » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 am

Same issue on at least 2 systems of mine. I am on Comcast, so the cable provider is not likely the issue.

EDIT - it looks like it is the HD channels for me that don't have data. I have not picked through it, but the SD channels have data.

The odd thing is that there is an error message that tells me to check the Media Center logs when I try to update guide data manually.
Last edited by dbbowser on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:29 am

No EPG123 posts in this thread, please.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:43 am

If NextPVR were to support DRM restrictions, I would move to that and Kodi in a heartbeat. I'd be able to update to Windows 10 in the process. But Comcast wants DRM and WMC is the only supported DVR program. :(
Will Pittenger