Windows Media Center is downloading new guide info?

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
wahoospa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Media Center is downloading new guide info?

Post by wahoospa » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Windows XP Media Center 2205.
If you try to download the latest guide and fail, inside C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Microsoft\eHome\
there are files ending in .sdf and .xml. The new guide new info seems to be in those files. If you open them in notepad or wordpad you get garbage but if you scroll thru that garbage you will find names of actors, etc. Why else would there be actors listed if the guide did not download? So I believe the Media Center is downloading the guide but for some reason Windows will not allow the guide to be used. Any ideas on this? How can we get that info into Media Center?WMC?

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:03 pm

I would be very surprised if Microsoft brings back legacy data at this point. If you can find any dates in the files, I expect they will be from July. I can't test this myself because my Vista PC has TV Pack, which uses the same MXF format as Windows 7 and 8. However I will keep an eye out for any news regarding legacy data, even though there is no good reason to expect any news. You should consider installing NextPVR and subcribing to Schedules Direct if you plan to stick with XP indefinitely.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Vistaar wrote:I will keep an eye out for any news regarding legacy data
A Vista user in France just posted that guide data was available again there.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm

My Guide has started working from today, but the "about guide listings" states the end date is now 22/10/2015 so basically it might only work for a week or so here in the UK :(

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:29 pm

A couple of recent posts in the "UK EPG Licence Expiring" thread confirm that legacy data is available again in the UK. However I'm pretty sure that wahoospa is in the USA, where legacy data expired around July 26. As a test,I just ran a grabber that was formerly able to download the Zap2It legacy data. (I suspect that one of the main reasons Microsoft ended legacy data in North America was to put this grabber out of business.) It downloaded a large xml file which I opened with Notepad. Bad news on the third line:
tv source-info-name="Zap2it"
Then I scrolled to the bottom, where the most recent listings should be found. More bad news:
programme start="20150726180000 -0500" stop="20150726190000 -0500"
Of course 20150726 was the date, and the show ended at 1900 (7 PM Central). I would expect that Americans running XP MCE or Vista without TV Pack would find pretty much the same thing, but please post if the situation should change.

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:30 am

I'm getting warnings of the guide data running out again, the about date states 12/12/2015.

Also my guide has been a mess displaying totally incorrect guide data on 80% of the channels for example, Film 4 will say on the guide that Bablyon AD is on but infact Escape from Alcatraz is on :lol:

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:42 pm

kennyken wrote:I'm getting warnings of the guide data running out again, the about date states 12/12/2015.

Also my guide has been a mess displaying totally incorrect guide data on 80% of the channels for example, Film 4 will say on the guide that Bablyon AD is on but infact Escape from Alcatraz is on :lol:
This is a UK issue. I have the same problem. See here http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 312#p99312

Mark

kennyken

Post by kennyken » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Mines better as of today. BBC channels went dead (no signal) so I ran setup again for the signal everything is good now guide also fine.