Component registration failure in Vista

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
MikeSin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Component registration failure in Vista

Post by MikeSin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:20 am

Yesterday I tired to download epg after seeing a post that suggested it was back again. It didn't find an epg so i decided to set up guide etc again to see if that helped. After an abnormally long time trying to download guide information I cancelled the process.
Since the n I have been unable to use WMC . It responds to any atrempt (recorded tv, guide) with a message component registration failure - some files missing......

i have run sfc / scannow which initially found corrupt files and repaired them and is now clean. I have system restored to yesterday morning before I started fiddling but still have the problem.
Any suggestions on best way to recover WMC ?

thanks

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Googling "media center component registration failure vista" suggests that the error message was rather common over the years, although I don't think I ever encountered it myself. This link looks promising to me: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topi ... n-failure/.

MikeSin

Post by MikeSin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:05 am

Many thanks -i deleted the complete folder which had around 6 files and it did rebuild and WMC now functions again - still without EPG however - do you think microsft will resolve this ? Else I will think about upgrading to W7.