Windows 10 TV Recording

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
fonzie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 TV Recording

Post by fonzie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:13 pm

With the new version of windows out and the disappearance of Media Center. Just wondering if anyone has tried the WinTV v8 from Hauppauge. Using one of their TV tuner cards???? If so does it work.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Yeah, it works. But it's not good or great at all. It let's you switch channels and set manual recordings. Hit record, hit stop recording. Set to record at 8pm, stop at 9, etc. You can't record by series or anything, cause there is no guide data or even guide. For a guide they link you to an online TV guide listing/webpage to see what's on. It's not part of the app in anyway.

I guess it's better than nothing though in a pinch.

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks for reply I guess it is no different than what I am doing now in MCE 2005 manual recording. No guide means not too great.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:20 am

Take a look at NextPVR, it supports everything from XP to Windows 10. It has native support for Schedules Direct guide listings ($25/yr). You might even be able to find a free EPG source if you're clever, however the most popular method (mc2xml) expropriated data from Microsoft's legacy service and is no longer functional. NextPVR does not have native support for analog, but that too can be added. One fundamental shortcoming of NextPVR - and of all PVR software except WMC - is that cable channels flagged as "copy once" cannot be used even if you have a CableCard. Unfortunately Microsoft has learned that relatively few people would pay extra for WMC, so cable subscribers will probably have to rent STBs and DVRs in the future.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:44 am

Vistaar wrote:so cable subscribers will probably have to rent STBs and DVRs in the future.
Only if they abandon the versions of Windows that include WMC. Last time I checked, the licensing terms of Windows 7 didn't say anything about an expiration date, so as far as I can tell, I am allowed to use it for as long as I want. Granted, there will be a time when I won't be able to call Microsoft for support, and there will be a time when Microsoft will stop distributing updates for Windows 7, but neither of those things matter.

And there is also the possibility that another company will come up with something that will replace WMC. SiliconDust is working on something, but TBH I don't think it will be a full WMC replacement anytime soon, if ever. But you never know.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:04 am

richard1980 wrote:Granted, there will be a time when I won't be able to call Microsoft for support, and there will be a time when Microsoft will stop distributing updates for Windows 7, but neither of those things matter.
True, but you won't have a very good PVR when Microsoft cuts off program guide data. Vista is still under extended support, but it appears that we can no longer get guide data without an unauthorized update that puts us on an equal footing with Windows 7 in that regard. (Your enhanced guide was actually developed for Vista.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think mainstream support for Windows 7 ended in January.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:07 am

There are other sources for guide data, so that's not an issue.

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:24 am

Vistaar wrote:Take a look at NextPVR, it supports everything from XP to Windows 10. It has native support for Schedules Direct guide listings ($25/yr). You might even be able to find a free EPG source if you're clever, however the most popular method (mc2xml) expropriated data from Microsoft's legacy service and is no longer functional. NextPVR does not have native support for analog, but that too can be added. One fundamental shortcoming of NextPVR - and of all PVR software except WMC - is that cable channels flagged as "copy once" cannot be used even if you have a CableCard. Unfortunately Microsoft has learned that relatively few people would pay extra for WMC, so cable subscribers will probably have to rent STBs and DVRs in the future.
Thanks tried that on my mce 2005 system my tuner card was not detected. oh well time to retire this system.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:44 pm

richard1980 wrote:There are other sources for guide data, so that's not an issue.
Exactly, you need guide info, location data (or TV setup wont run to configure WMC) and Playready if you use cablecards. Although there is some possibilities that some of these options wont work before the official cut of day, there should be work-a-rounds for it. There is a lot more WMC users than people think, or even Microsoft thinks.

So, if you want to keep using WMC, go for it, odds are you will be running fine till 2020 or so, and in the 5+ years, a lot can change in this market.

Crap, in 5 years, cablecards might not even be available any more.

I do wish there was a option for WMC in 10, just to use the same app that we use now but, officially, it's not looking good that it will happen (Microsoft could add it later if there is enough demand)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012