XP WMC guide updates?

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
hatemakingnames

HTPC Specs: Show details

XP WMC guide updates?

Post by hatemakingnames » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:58 am

I have an old computer with XP WMC that I use as a DVR.

Since XP isn't supported anymore, will it be possible to get the guide changed from zap2it to rovi?

If it won't work, what versions of windows 7 have WMC included?

jeneral

Post by jeneral » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate.

Avoid Windows 7 Home.

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:02 am

Hi i was just wondering if anyone had a working guide in xp MCE. The server location address is located in the registry @
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/MediaCenter/Service/EPG/discSvc/http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... lcid=0x409
this is the server address for the zap2it tv guide not sure what the server address is for the rovi guide. any help would be appreciated. and btw i did try all the steps,
different zip codes re ran tv setup 50 times. the guide performs all the necessary steps to download just the guide shows no data for the entire grid :evil: :evil: :evil: .

[Moderator note: topic merged]

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:37 am

I too have and old mce xp system that i used for recording shows. what I did was manually entered the show time channel ect and this is what works for me. I know not the greatest but works. just get tv info from a guide.

hatemakingnames

Post by hatemakingnames » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:38 pm

fonzie wrote:I too have and old mce xp system that i used for recording shows. what I did was manually entered the show time channel ect and this is what works for me. I know not the greatest but works. just get tv info from a guide.
Yeah, for now, that's what I did also. Just went to the zap2it website and got the info I needed.

I found an old win 7 pro CD that I think I can use to upgrade, but I'm always a bit worried it will screw up something else..
I'll probably get around to creating a system image and testing it later, but seems to run fine for now. (Plus between Netflix, Amazon, and network websites, it's not too hard to find shows..)

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:10 pm

For most of us the guide in XP MCE stopped downloading awhile ago (mine stopped in November). We would receive a guide download error anytime we tried to download an update or setup the guide. I found a way to use MCE XP 2002 to force a guide download and used that for about 6 months, but I upgraded to Win7 last month so I haven't checked recently (I did try out of curiosity 2 weeks ago and the guide worked, but I know they did a staggared roll out of Rovi).

I plan to try it in the next few days and will update here. Also, the registry key for the guide address gave me an idea to see if I can grab the address from my 2002 machine and put it on my 2005 and see if that allows a guide update. If it does then that might be all we need to keep 2005 (XP) alive.

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:41 pm

If you get that registry address please post it asap thanks.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Good news - changing the URL in the registry allowed my 2005 machine to connect and download a "guide" that took a good 15 minutes to download.

Bad news - The guide I downloaded for my Dish had no data (weird that it took 15 minutes to download and is 486 MB in size).

Good news - I just tried the OTA guide setup and it did download some data for channels.

The URL is https://data.tvdownload.microsoft.com/d ... esMetaInfo - Seems like this might have worked for me during those 6 months I was using two machines a 2002 to download the files to put on the 2005 machine to get it to update.

I'd say go ahead and try the URL to see if it works for you and your setup.

I am also curious - maybe if we find the guide data URL of a Windows 7 machine that one might work? I tried looking for it on my Win 7 setup, but was unable to find it.

Hope this helps.

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks for the link. it downloaded the guide took 10-15 min. Looked good until I checked guide version still Zap2it not Rovi. Thanks anyway.

hatemakingnames

Post by hatemakingnames » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:58 am

Yeah, my guide downloads successfully every day...but it has no info because it's from zap2it.

If anyone knows a way to switch the provider, or manually input the guide info that would be great..

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:35 pm

hatemakingnames - do you have the Update Rollup 2 2005 version of Media Center? I have a hunch that the latest version (Update Rollup 2) is the one that cannot connect to the guide and an older version may still have the URL I posted. If yours was an older version it would then make sense why you can still connect and download (like my original 2002 machine can), but newer versions need to have the URL changed. Of course this is all pointless since the guide data is mostly empty, but it would explain why some XP machines can still connect without an immediate error code.

I didn't realize there were so many versions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_X ... er_Edition

fonzie

Post by fonzie » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:39 am

Yes I too have the older version of MCE no rollup 2 installed. And I do not get any errors when downloading guide. Just no data in the guide. I wish I knew what has to change in the registry to make it change to rovi server.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:56 am

Cool - it makes sense now why some of us could still download while others (like mine) gave an error code. Now about the no guide data, I noticed that users of older Vista versions also couldn't download, but today there is a post saying that is fixed by installing the TV pack 2008 http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=9031. When I get some time I may try to somehow force install it on XP, or try to figure out what it changes in order to make the Vista guide switch to Rovi. I'm hoping it's in the registry values. Anyone else out there know offhand what it changes?

ronfjr

Post by ronfjr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Has anyone found a way to get xp media center to switch to rovi guide? I have xp media center 2005. It goes thru the download process and tells me guide has been downloaded. It reminds me when the guide data is getting out of date and ask's if I want to download the guide. All seems normal but I still have the zap2it guide data with no information of course. Would love to make XP work with Rovi. Not sure my xp system could really handle any OS upgrade well. Any help on trying to make xp switch to rovi would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pagreencat

Post by pagreencat » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Not found a way to switch it myself, but used BladerunnerPro and Zap2XML per this thread to make a guide and pull it into XP MCE 2005.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=8837

I don't think there's a way to make Rovi work, especially if on a Satellite or set top box config.

wahoospa

Post by wahoospa » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:35 pm

dkrom, that link in your post has an error to it. Do you have an updated url? I have everything working on XP WMC but the guide.