DVR-MS after WTVconverter does not play in MCE 2005

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
angelino

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVR-MS after WTVconverter does not play in MCE 2005

Post by angelino » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:01 pm

I am in the process of replacing my good old MCE 2005 PC with WMC in Windows 8.1.
I used to cut the DVR-MS files with good old dCut, in order to keep the (European) subtitles (together with the complete TeleText).

While I do not seem to find a WTV cutter (or a DVR-MS cutter in 8.1) that keeps the TeleText pages and therefore the subtitles, my intention is to keep my MCE 2005 machine just to cut the DVR-MS files.
But now I discover that the DVR-MS files resulting from the conversion of the WTV files by WTVconverter do not play on my MCE 2005, neither in dCut nor in MCE.
Something must have been changed in the DVR-MS files format.

So, when I convert a WTV file on WIndows 8.1 to DVR-MS, I can play this DVR-MS file on 8.1, on a Vista Media Center, but not on the XP Media Center that I have been using for 10 years.
I suspect that it is a question of codecs, but I do not find a solution.

Anybody a suggestion ? Either how to cut a WTV file and keep the subtitles, or how to play a converted DVR-MS file on XP MCE.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Use VideoRedo; it is still supported on Windows XP.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V5.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

angelino

Post by angelino » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Thank you, Scallica.
I have been using VRD for 10 years on XP, and still am.
Unfortunately, it removes the Teletext when processing a WTV (or a DVR-MS) file. This is why I have been (and still am) using dCut on XP.
I have been mailing with the VRD guys, and they do not have any plans to keep the Teletext pages from WTV (or a DVR-MS) files.

Can anybody confirm that MCEBuddy does the job of preserving Tetelext when cutting a WTV (or a DVR-MS) file ? They promise so much that I hardly can believe it.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm

angelino wrote:I have been using VRD for 10 years on XP, and still am.
Unfortunately, it removes the Teletext when processing a WTV (or a DVR-MS) file. This is why I have been (and still am) using dCut on XP.
Have you reached out to VideoRedo support? They are very responsive.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

angelino

Post by angelino » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:53 pm

Yes I did, and I know they are indeed very responsive.
But in this case they could not implement it, as the WTV (or DVR-MS) stream is encrypted, and they did not succeed in restoring the original teletext stream into the resulting stream.