Vista Media Centre Guide issues

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
danwolski

HTPC Specs: Show details

Vista Media Centre Guide issues

Post by danwolski » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:44 am

Hi All,

I just bought a second hand HTPC off a mate. It runs vista SP2, and i can't get the guide to work. I've tried updating manually, (I get error code 14 or "info not available for your area"), I've tried using EPGCollector 4.0 which seems to complete fine, but I can't get it to work, even using loadmxf.exe in the C:\Windows\ehome directory.

I have viewed so many "how to's" which supposedly tell you how to manually link xmltv files, though my menus in MCE are completely different to what they are describing.

Is anyone still running Vista MCE? If so how do you get your guide to work?

Cheers

Dan

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Two questions for you.

1- What area are you in?
2- Is the HTPC connected to the internet?

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Seems like a common issue around Daylight Savings time here in the states. I'm not able to connect either. There is also a guide issues thread http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=8564 where many others have posted problems. It usually goes away in a few days.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Oh yeah, that's why I had to reboot this morning.

danwolski

Post by danwolski » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:31 am

Crash2009 wrote:Two questions for you.

1- What area are you in?
2- Is the HTPC connected to the internet?
1. Sydney, australia (just north of the city actually)
2. Yes

From what I can gather the MS EPG download doesnt work anymore, and you need to use a third party app to import the data. I have EPG collector which scrubs the EPG listing off the TV signal, and appears to complete fine, I just can't get it's output into MCE. Is there a way to tell MCE to read from a different guide file? Loadmxf.exe doesn't seem to work.

The other option I have is bite the bullet and get Win8 (I can get a genuine copy cheap) and buy Media Centre. I know that 7 is sooooo much better than vista for productivity, but for a media pc is it that much better?

Thanks for your replies.

danwolski

Post by danwolski » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:32 am

dkrom wrote:Seems like a common issue around Daylight Savings time here in the states. I'm not able to connect either. There is also a guide issues thread http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=8564 where many others have posted problems. It usually goes away in a few days.
Yeah I have read about that happening around DST. I have been trying for a week to get it running, with no luck. Our DST doesnt finish up until end of March as far as I'm aware, so not sure if it would be the cause yet.

Cheers

Dan

danwolski

Post by danwolski » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 am

Fixed it. Stumbled across this website:

http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/guides ... guide.html

Apparently, as I had bought it second hand and the previous user had restored the computer to it's factory settings, the TV Pack was not installed. Followed the instructions and it all worked!

Cheers

Dan