Parental Controls for DVDs

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
Vamp9190

HTPC Specs: Show details

Parental Controls for DVDs

Post by Vamp9190 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi all,

Question about the WMC parental controls. I have one machine still running Vista (Home Premium x64) using WMC, so this question applies to it.

I set-up the Parental Controls to block all movies with a 'R' rating and also no rating (NA) with a PIN to unlock.

The problem is that for some reason WMC is not picking up the Rating of the movie, so every movie that is supposed to be "unlocked" (G, PG, PG-13) is blocked and requires the PIN to unlock it to play (every movie is showing up as not rated for some reason).

So my structure is like:
\MOVIES (folder for all the movies, every movie has a separate folder inside it):
\MOVIES\Avatar
\MOVIES\Back to the Future
\MOVIES\Castaway

Inside each individual movie folder is the standard structure with two folders, the xml file and the cover art:
VIDEO_TS
AUDIO_TS
movie-title.xml
folder.jpg

Yes I do have the .XML file in the individual movie folder as mentioned above, and there is also another .XML file in the location:
C:\Users\(my PC user name here)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\eHome\DvdInfoCache
(during my research it looks like WMC creates its own Xml and places it there to pull info from?)

I have Yammm and a few other programs, but nothing seems to let me get in and edit the XML file directly (if that is even what I need to do to fix this?), some programs look like they used to support that but no longer link to IMDB/Amazon.

My ultimate question is what do I have to do to get WMC to read the movie rating correctly so that PG, PG-13 movies do not require an unlock PIN (but R and NA do require a PIN to be typed)?

Any assistance is appreciated, I have done some research and can not seem to find an exact answer.