Problems with wrong channels

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
Will_Cain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problems with wrong channels

Post by Will_Cain » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Last Christmas Microsoft cocked up the guide on XP. Eventually they sorted it out but ever since then I've had problems. I live in S. Yorks and use the Emley Moor transmitter. Before Christmas all the channels were right by default after Christmas, using BBC1 as an example I was defaulted to BB1 on 514 MHz, which is useless. I switched it to BBC1 North on 682 MHz and its perfect. I have to select and change more channels than is sensible. In addition the guide for Drama is unavailable but I can live with that.

So my questions:-

How can I change the default to select the "set" of channels that point at BBC1 at 682 MHz etc.
Failing that is there anyway I can "save" all the changes I have made so if I have to retune I can avoid the tedious changes.

Please don't suggest upgrading to Windows 7 8 as I've tried that and my Sound Chip, Graphics card and NAS all don't work so I'd be looking at a new computer and the one I've got works absolutely great apart from the above.

Thanks in anticipation

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 am

Will_Cain wrote:How can I change the default to select the "set" of channels that point at BBC1 at 682 MHz etc.
I am not sure whether your problem is that Media Center is displaying guide data for the wrong transmitter, or whether you are receiving signals from two different transmitters and Media Center is picking the wrong set of signals.

Assuming that it is the former, you need to specify a postcode in Media Center setup so that you get the EPG for the transmitter that you want to use. If you want the signals from Emily Moore, specify in Media Center setup the postcode for Emily Moore, in place of your own postcode.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Will_Cain

Post by Will_Cain » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I've been using Media Centre for about 7 years and these problems only appeared after last Christmas.

On XP the tuning process shows 3 transmitters and you can choose the one you want.

I set up Media Centre on a windows 8 machine. On W8 it doesn't offer a choice of transmitters but it does tune in correctly. Using BBC1 as an example again, only BBC One is shown in the list, BBC1North isn't, which is the one I use on XP. The W8 BBC One station broadcasts perfectly.

Do you know if the guide chooses the station priority or is it the signal?

I'm reluctant to retune the XP machine as it takes half a day to manually choose the working stations if it doesn't work.

So assuming I can't save my guide changes, unless I do a system backup so I can restore it all I'll probably put it on hold until I have to do something..
Is there anyone else in SouthYorks with this problem?

Incidentaly W8 doesn't have the option to add listings for channels and Drama hasn't any

Cheers

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Don't think anyone will be running xp/mce (2005?) anymore...
vista,7 & 8 are all so superior most users moved on. I live in Barnsley and used to get signal from emley moor and Belmont. I Always had to chose best signal. Difference being guidetool would do a back up for you... Not sure it'll work with xp.
use freesat tuners now.
Lee

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 pm

I use Vista MC and have tried Win7 MC, but I have never used WinXP MC or Win8 MC, so I am a bit short on ideas on how to solve your problem.
Will_Cain wrote:I've been using Media Centre for about 7 years and these problems only appeared after last Christmas.
For the past several years, we have had the analogue switch-off, which usually resulted in the digital MUXes moving to different frequencies. After that was finished, some MUXes started moving again due to the clearance of the higher frequency band(s) (so that they can be sold off for mobile-phone use). Did the change last Christmas correspond to one of these re-tune events in your locality? That might explain what caused the problem, but not how to fix it.
Will_Cain wrote:On XP the tuning process shows 3 transmitters and you can choose the one you want.
If you are really receiving usable signals from three different transmitters, you could consider using one or more notch filters to suppress the unwanted MUXes (which, hopefully, would then be too weak for MC to detect). One of these might work:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/notch_filter.htm
Will_Cain wrote:I'm reluctant to retune the XP machine as it takes half a day to manually choose the working stations if it doesn't work, ... unless I do a system backup so I can restore it
I always create an image of the system drive before making changes that might cause it to stop working. Not doing so is just inviting trouble!
Will_Cain wrote:Incidentaly W8 doesn't have the option to add listings for channels and Drama hasn't any.
When new channels are added in the UK, the downloaded Microsoft 14-day EPG does not automatically include data for the new channels. Someone (a user) has to kick Microsoft by submitting a problem report on some web site, and Microsoft may then make the necessary changes in a few days/a few months/never. I am not registered for whichever web site it is. However...

...Win7 MC (and I would assume Win8 MC also) has the ability to extract and display the 7-day EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals. MC uses the 7-day EPG for those parts of the EPG where it does not have data from the 14-day EPG. But you might need to tune to the "Drama" channel for 5-10 minutes for MC to accumulate a complete 7-day EPG for all of the channels in the MUX containing "Drama". You might then need to tune to channels in other MUXes for 5-10 minutes each in order to obtain their 7-day EPGs.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Will_Cain

Post by Will_Cain » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:06 pm

The original problem was caused by Microsoft who just didn't bother putting any new listings up after Dec 12. Fortunately there was such a reaction on their Forum they did rush them out. Clearly they didn't make a perfect job of it. RE the filters, I currently use an aerial amp which I originally had before the full digital roll out i.e when the power was cranked up. I might try turning it down until the unwanted channels don't play and leave it like that if I decide to retune.
As I said originally my Media Centre PC, which is only used for Music Films, Photos,TV and browsing can't hack 7 and 8 so I'm not looking to upgrade while ever it works.

Cheers