How do I programmitically search the EPG data?

Will Pittenger

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I programmitically search the EPG data?

Post by Will Pittenger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:14 am

I started a thread on MSDN, but wasn't getting a response. So I thought I'd ask here.
I'd like to write a program to search the listings WMC has downloaded for my cable system so I can have it specify which programs to record. I found a class that describes the lineup (Microsoft.MediaCenter.TV.Epg.Lineup) but it doesn't list what's airing when. I also found a namespace (Microsoft.MediaCenter.TV.Scheduling Namespace) that lists what is scheduled to record, but that doesn't list what is about to be aired, but isn't yet scheduled for being recorded. Then I found the MXF file format, but the data appears to be spread over several MXF files. There's a LoadMXF executable, but that appears to only import the MXF into the data store, where ever that is.

So the documentation I found just dances around what I want. So here's the acid test: I want to record all NEW Major League Baseball games involving the Cardinals. The problem is the channel changes a lot. Most of the time, it's on FSN Midwest. But sometimes Fox, FS1, or ESPN pick the Cardinals game up. In those cases, it won't be on FSN Midwest. To make things harder, the Cubs play the Cardinals for something like 5% of the games. In those cases, the game might be on both WGN and FSN Midwest (or Comcast SportsNet and FSN Midwest). In those cases, I'd rather watch the FSN Midwest broadcast and ignore the WGN/CSN broadcast unless there is no FSN option.

So now you see the problem. I have no idea what forum to ask in. It doesn't help MS doesn't seem to believe that anyone should discuss WMC anymore. But the open source PVR programs can't play DRM content. :(
Will Pittenger

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:25 pm

Have you had a look around in the WMC Search area?

Guide/left arrow/search

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Ceton's My Media Center app is worth looking at if you care to have the ability you described, from your phone or tablet.

Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm wanting an auto-record ability. And the built-in search function won't give priority to just select channels. I've already been through it.
Will Pittenger

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:28 pm

How about doing a Keyword search for Cardinals? WMC will pick up anything with that keyword in it and record it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I see what you mean. Mine just shows MLB Baseball. Not sure what I would get if I selected "Record Series" Would that record every Home and Away game all summer?

Sammy, does EPG123 show more detail for MLB?
Attachments
MLB001.JPG

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:38 pm

EPG123 shows the title being "MLB Baseball" with the "Episode" showing the teams playing.
Crash2009 wrote:I see what you mean. Mine just shows MLB Baseball. Not sure what I would get if I selected "Record Series" Would that record every Home and Away game all summer?

Sammy, does EPG123 show more detail for MLB?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Sammy2 wrote:How about doing a Keyword search for Cardinals? WMC will pick up anything with that keyword in it and record it.
Only problem I can see with that is a lot of Sports stations re-play the game, as on my Red Sox network(NESN) I did that with, they do a "Sox in 2", a 2 hour compressed version of the game. And other stations do something like the same, replay the same game in the morning after.

I know the "Sox in 2" games show up as NEW, it might be the same for other local sports networks.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012