Guide Tool and Changing Channel Numbering

Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Tool and Changing Channel Numbering

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:00 pm

I've never used Guide Tool before but am playing around with it. It looks to be pretty slick once I learned that WMC needed to be run with elevated privilages.

At any rate, Charter's line up is a mish-mash of channels that makes no sense because as they added more channels in the digital re-build they just shoved them in without any logic and they've never bothered to re-do their line up to make it more clear. I like Uverse's orderly listing and would like to mimic it on WMC. This would also ease the transition for my wife and daughter too so it is great bonus points.

Now for the actual question..

Is there a way using Guide Tool to do a batch update of Charter's channel numbering to that used by Uverse? I could not find this anywhere in my limited search but if it is then flame me quickly..

I think that the guide data is pretty good using Rovi although I have seen a few errors here and there so am not to concerned with subscribing to the Uverse guide but may in the future for some channels

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:13 am

I don't think Ive ever read anything like that. Have a look through this one....

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 308#p92308

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I don't think Ive ever read anything like that. Have a look through this one....

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 308#p92308
Thanks for the information. I read through that thread yesterday and that's how I knew to load WMC elevated. I've already started going through the guide and re-numbering channels based on their call sign ID's. I made it to FXHD in a remote session on my laptop on the commuter train home last night. I probably would have gotten farther along but it is really hard to read the print while the train bounces all around and my eyes still hurt from that this morning. Between that and punching down ethernet jack connectors they are sore and tired.. at 54 this is work for a young-in' for sure!

BTW, does the check box on the right column make that specific channel not show up in the WMC guide but not delete it?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:57 pm

The NON-checkmark prevents the channel from being listed in WMC. Pay the 5 bucks (Register) and you can backup and restore after you edit. I streamlined my guide from 600 channels to 150. The WMC guide gets a little faster that way. I disabled all the pay that I don't prescribe to, all the non English, zapped the music and also all the SD's (both copies)

You might be able to figure out how to do that U-Verse thing that you asked about in the original question after you get a backup copy. I am unable to list the features that are enabled by registration, cause I only use the backup/restore feature.

Over on the right, you can change the lineup column to show Uverse and your other lineup, and you might be able to MERGE.

After you get a backup, then its time for experimentation.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Yup. I paid the small price for what you get with Guide Tool.

I did merge all tuners to the map I created but I haven't merged the UVerse Guide Data to the Charter Channel Map because I don't think I need to do that but I am seeing a few channels that may be wrong in the Charter listings.

I've saved my line up to XML but come to think of it, maybe doing it in CSV will allow it to be loaded into Excel for quick merging with UVerse channel numbers.. IDK and probably won't bother to find out because I am nearly done with the tedious manual editing of all the channel numbers. This is still easier than editing channel numbers inside WMC>Settings>TV>Guide for sure..

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 am

I really don't have a need to do anything special with GuideTool. Made one backup and imported it into all my WMC's. That's about all I do with it. PM Dmagerl, might be Dmagurl. She seems to know a lot about the advanced features of GuideTool.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:26 pm

@dmagerl

Can you assist? Is there a guide for GuideTool someplace??

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:40 pm

There are several how-tos on Youtube but none show what you want to do.

As far as I know there is no way to do bulk channel number changes in Guide tool other than what someone previously suggested. Save to cvs file and edit in Excel. Then reload.

I fear you're stuck doing the changes one channel at a time. Right click the channel, select change channel number, then type in the new number.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:02 am

dmagerl wrote:There are several how-tos on Youtube but none show what you want to do.

As far as I know there is no way to do bulk channel number changes in Guide tool other than what someone previously suggested. Save to cvs file and edit in Excel. Then reload.

I fear you're stuck doing the changes one channel at a time. Right click the channel, select change channel number, then type in the new number.
Thanks. I'll search youtube. I already edited my line-up with Guide Tool which is still easier than doing it in WMC and I can back it up to re-install it if I need to do a channel scan later.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:47 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
dmagerl wrote:There are several how-tos on Youtube but none show what you want to do.

Thanks. I'll search youtube. I already edited my line-up with Guide Tool which is still easier than doing it in WMC and I can back it up to re-install it if I need to do a channel scan later.
Post if you find anything. When I setup WMC, I normally change about 15 channels from their 1008,1009, etc to their OTA channel number say 8.1, This makes things easier to find and keeps all the local channels below 100. I don't want to back up each tuner setting, as those are spotty on restore sometimes.

Would love to find a way to backup the custom channel lineup/channel number changes (ex if there is a 1008, change it to 8.1)

I also paid as well, well worth the $5...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

eclas

Post by eclas » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Does anyone have an idea on why when running guide tool I get a can't connect to media center?
I tried the few fixes I have seen online...run both wmc and GT as administrator, try connecting to 'local host'...

I am using the last ver of guide tool and wmc is on win 8.1

Any ideas? Thanks

eclas

Post by eclas » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 am

Got it working. The GT was not enabled in WMC settins