Ceton Echo & Xbox cannot play H.264 protected content

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Scallica » Mon May 02, 2016 4:45 pm

cbfirth wrote:We are all out of luck as regards Media Center and premium content.
Switch to Verizon FiOS if it is in your area. They have plenty of bandwidth on their network and don't need to employ SDV or H.264.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Mon May 02, 2016 6:35 pm

So just to clarify, will H.264 work with WMC at all if I don't use any extenders? I have Comcast and they have yet to roll out the new content in my area.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:So just to clarify, will H.264 work with WMC at all if I don't use any extenders? I have Comcast and they have yet to roll out the new content in my area.
Yes it will but I would avoid Intel graphics at this rate. My first gen Core i3 chip didn't pan out too well. I had to replace with an ATI adapter...all is well.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Mon May 02, 2016 7:46 pm

mcewinter wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:So just to clarify, will H.264 work with WMC at all if I don't use any extenders? I have Comcast and they have yet to roll out the new content in my area.
Yes it will but I would avoid Intel graphics at this rate. My first gen Core i3 chip didn't pan out too well. I had to replace with an ATI adapter...all is well.
Whew, good to know. I just recently came back to WMC since EPG123 and I'd hate to give it up again. I have an NVIDIA chipset so it sounds like I should be okay.

spanner

Post by spanner » Mon May 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Okay. This has been driving me crazy long enough and i finally picked up a low profile graphics card to replace my onboard intel 4400. It has been several years and a different computer since I have last changed hardware on a WMC computer. I need a memory (Brain memory) refresh. does playready need to be reinstalled ? do I loose any recordings? any steps I should be aware of? The card will come from amazon in a couple of days (AMD Radeon HD 5450) and i thought i would clone my hard drive tonight to be safe. This should be easy, but i do remember some playready nightmares back when.

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Scallica wrote:
cbfirth wrote:We are all out of luck as regards Media Center and premium content.
Switch to Verizon FiOS if it is in your area. They have plenty of bandwidth on their network and don't need to employ SDV or H.264.
FiOS does use H.264 for some channels, mostly for channels that are only in the higher service tiers (although there are a few in the entry level tier). There is no guarantee that they won't roll it out to a wider audience (although it would require replacing set top boxes, so may not happen at all, especially with them introducing a new IP based service which may mean the eventual phase out of the old QAM service).

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon May 02, 2016 11:54 pm

Space wrote:
Scallica wrote:
FiOS does use H.264 for some channels, mostly for channels that are only in the higher service tiers (although there are a few in
Interesting, I didn't know that. Can you give me an example of a few channels? I would like to check.

Space

Post by Space » Tue May 03, 2016 12:23 am

Scallica wrote: Interesting, I didn't know that. Can you give me an example of a few channels? I would like to check.
Here are some of the ones I get in my bottom tier (Preferred):

604 Bloomberg HD
584 Fox Sports 2 HD
657 evine Live HD
658 WOW HD
659 Enrich HD
771 TV One HD
697 ViceLand HD

You can find a complete list in this thread (last post);
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30333 ... s~start=60

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue May 03, 2016 12:53 am

Wow, same results here. I didn't realize Verizon rolled out H.264 on some channels. I never received a letter in the mail as reported by some Comcast customers.

Space

Post by Space » Tue May 03, 2016 1:58 am

Scallica wrote:Wow, same results here. I didn't realize Verizon rolled out H.264 on some channels. I never received a letter in the mail as reported by some Comcast customers.
Apparently the first H.264 channels were rolled out on FiOS in 2012, but it's been a very slow migration...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-p ... st21871089

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:23 pm

spanner wrote:Okay. This has been driving me crazy long enough and i finally picked up a low profile graphics card to replace my onboard intel 4400. It has been several years and a different computer since I have last changed hardware on a WMC computer. I need a memory (Brain memory) refresh. does playready need to be reinstalled ? do I loose any recordings? any steps I should be aware of? The card will come from amazon in a couple of days (AMD Radeon HD 5450) and i thought i would clone my hard drive tonight to be safe. This should be easy, but i do remember some playready nightmares back when.
You might want to read up on mspr.hds. As I remember, (its been awhile), mspr.hds holds the keys to PlayReady. Different hardware might give you some headaches. I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft developed a utility you could run, that would save your keys and allow/authorize replacement of hardware without upsetting PlayReady.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri May 06, 2016 12:24 am

Crash2009 wrote:
spanner wrote:Okay. This has been driving me crazy long enough and i finally picked up a low profile graphics card to replace my onboard intel 4400. It has been several years and a different computer since I have last changed hardware on a WMC computer. I need a memory (Brain memory) refresh. does playready need to be reinstalled ? do I loose any recordings? any steps I should be aware of? The card will come from amazon in a couple of days (AMD Radeon HD 5450) and i thought i would clone my hard drive tonight to be safe. This should be easy, but i do remember some playready nightmares back when.
You might want to read up on mspr.hds. As I remember, (its been awhile), mspr.hds holds the keys to PlayReady. Different hardware might give you some headaches. I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft developed a utility you could run, that would save your keys and allow/authorize replacement of hardware without upsetting PlayReady.
Yes Thankyou I will read up on it. The card comes tomorrow . It will be nice to watch HBO recordings again even if it is only on my HTPC and not on my extenders.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:13 am

spanner wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
Yes Thankyou I will read up on it. The card comes tomorrow . It will be nice to watch HBO recordings again even if it is only on my HTPC and not on my extenders.
Here are the only 2 threads I participated in.... related to mspr.hds

Do a search for more.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 253#p67253

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 290#p98290

coolwhip

Post by coolwhip » Fri May 06, 2016 5:20 pm

I replaced an integrated AMD graphics processor with an AMD HD 5450 years ago and had no DRM problems. I've replaced the HD 5450 with an AMD HD 6450 since then and had no DRM/PlayReady issues with that either. I put in the HD 6540 to address some screen jitter issues I was having and it fixed that.
Sorry for not responding sooner.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat May 07, 2016 4:27 pm

coolwhip wrote:
I replaced an integrated AMD graphics processor with an AMD HD 5450 years ago and had no DRM problems. I've replaced the HD 5450 with an AMD HD 6450 since then and had no DRM/PlayReady issues with that either. I put in the HD 6540 to address some screen jitter issues I was having and it fixed that.
Sorry for not responding sooner.
Okay. last night got around to installing the AMD 5440 so I could watch Comcast premium channels again on my HTPC. So far no problems with play ready, but for the life of me I could not get the audio to work. I made the selection in the Bios, downloaded the driver software, and the AMD Hdmi shows up as my playback device, but anytime i go to use it even just testing system sounds i get " device in use by other program". Did some searching and this card has been around for awhile. apparently there have been issues and hot fixes avalible for audio HDMI issues, but from quite awhile back. It got late I got Tired so maybe another day.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 07, 2016 5:05 pm

I am using the windows update driver on my AMD 6770, have you tried the MS driver for your 5440 ?

The date on my driver is 04-2011. I have been using this one since 2012.

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 07, 2016 11:04 pm

I have a Radeon 6570 and tried to install the latest drivers (which supposedly support my card) when I was having some issues (that turned out to be related to a bad physical HDMI port), and I got that same error when trying to play any sound (but I also could not play videos).

Anyway, I reverted to Catalyst 13.1 drivers (the ones I was originally using) and all was good.

Read about it here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 01#p102801

You can find Catalyst 13.1 on AMD's website, look for the "Previous Drivers and Software" link on the right side column when on the driver download page for your card/system.

Here is the link for Windows 7 64-bit: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 4&rev=13.1
Here is the link for Windows 7 32-bit: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 2&rev=13.1

I don't know if the download is the same for other windows versions.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat May 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Space wrote:I have a Radeon 6570 and tried to install the latest drivers (which supposedly support my card) when I was having some issues (that turned out to be related to a bad physical HDMI port), and I got that same error when trying to play any sound (but I also could not play videos).

Anyway, I reverted to Catalyst 13.1 drivers (the ones I was originally using) and all was good.

Read about it here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 01#p102801

You can find Catalyst 13.1 on AMD's website, look for the "Previous Drivers and Software" link on the right side column when on the driver download page for your card/system.

Here is the link for Windows 7 64-bit: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 4&rev=13.1
Here is the link for Windows 7 32-bit: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... 2&rev=13.1

I don't know if the download is the same for other windows versions.
Thanks Good to know, I will give this a try. Just waiting for a day with limited scheduled recordings. don't want to tick off the wife and grand kids

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:57 am

When do you think you will get an opening to throw in the card. Hey, here's an idea..... Send them all to the afternoon matinee today.

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 08, 2016 1:17 pm

It is always best to uninstall the existing drivers before installing the new drivers. I went a step further and uninstalled all the way back to the Windows default driver and then used http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... ility.aspx to make sure all remnants of the old AMD drivers were gone before installing 13.1 again.

Also, I would make an image backup of your system drive before doing anything, just in case.